• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aftermarket accessory recommendations for EII? (1 Viewer)

Luxrising

Hello,
New to Birdforum, first post! I've lurked on the forums on and off for a few years when researching binoculars. It's long overdue that I registered and join in on the conversations.
I recently purchased a set of new EII's, largely due to the general love they receive here. I'm wondering if anybody can recommend either or both of the following:
-A set of ocular rainguards to replace the stock version.
-A case to replace the stock version. Based on photos online, I was fully prepared for the supplied Nikon case to be flimsy and unattractive and it certainly is! I'd like something simple, slim, non-leather and well made. I generally carry my binoculars & case in a field bag so something without straps/external pockets/bells & whistles would be preferred.
I'm really looking forward to getting outdoors and putting these diminutive porros to use!
Thanks,
Derek

Derek,
I have been using my EII's for many months now and have actually found the supplied case to be much better than I first thought. I know this will be heresy to some members here, but I do have earlier E series with the leather-look case and I now much prefer the new case for several reasons. It is soft and padded and seems to protect the binoculars well enough in my backpack. In addition, I can easily slide the EII's in the case without changing the focus or the diopter distance. In the earlier E's case, I need to turn the binocular focus to get the shortest distance and bend the tubes out, changing the diopter adjustment, just so they will fit back in the case. With the new case, I can just remove them and begin watching at once, little or no adjustment necessary. I also now appreciate that I can put the actual binoculars strap around my neck, thereby safely securing the binoculars before I remove them from the case. If I drop anything, it will be the case and not the binoculars. In reverse, I can put the binoculars back in the case before I actually remove the strap from my neck. A nice feeling of security knowing I won't accidentally dump my binoculars out of the case (came close a couple times with my old E's). Just my impressions of course.

I do recommend that you always carry a waterproof plastic bag such as a freezer-rated zip-lock, big enough to stash your binoculars (in the case) for those times your get caught in a downpour. I have done this and the binoculars stay dry even if my backpack gets soaked (I have a zip-lock bag for my field guide as well). If I am out without backpack and case when rain is expected, I just put the plastic bag in my pocket, ready for quick use.
Bruce

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Turns out the ocular covers from my Zen Ray HD 8x32 fit perfectly on the EII's - nice and snug. Regarding the case, The only real issue I have with it is that it keeps it's form when the binoculars are removed. I'd prefer a cover/case that collapses/lies flat when empty. I'm planning on making my own from materials leftover from a homemade field bag. I'll post a photo when it's done.
Best,
Derek

I also use the Lowepro Streamline 100 case.

It's well made and offers good protection. The downside is that it adds bulk to an otherwise compact binocular. Overall I'd certainly recommend it however.

Graham

I also use the Lowepro Streamline 100 case.

It's well made and offers good protection. The downside is that it adds bulk to an otherwise compact binocular. Overall I'd certainly recommend it however.

Graham

Hi Graham:

I haven't seen you around much; don't be a stranger!

Bill

Hello,
New to Birdforum, first post! I've lurked on the forums on and off for a few years when researching binoculars. It's long overdue that I registered and join in on the conversations.
I recently purchased a set of new EII's, largely due to the general love they receive here. I'm wondering if anybody can recommend either or both of the following:
-A set of ocular rainguards to replace the stock version.
-A case to replace the stock version. Based on photos online, I was fully prepared for the supplied Nikon case to be flimsy and unattractive and it certainly is! I'd like something simple, slim, non-leather and well made. I generally carry my binoculars & case in a field bag so something without straps/external pockets/bells & whistles would be preferred.
I'm really looking forward to getting outdoors and putting these diminutive porros to use!
Thanks,
Derek

Derek and the Dominoes,

Welcome to BF. I've attached a photo of my old EII with a two-piece Nikon rain guard. Not sure where it came from, an Action model perhaps, Jerry (NDHunter) gave it to me. I didn't like the heavy, hard plastic one-piece job that came with the EII (same one that comes with the SE). Sometimes I would quickly grab the bin to look at a bird and the rain guard would swing around and hit me in the face. So I replaced it with this Nikon two-piece rubber rain guard, which worked much better.

I didn't like the narrow strap either so I replaced it with a neoprene strap from Eagle Optics.

I also recommend a pair of #5 Bushwacker covers for the barrels, which will extend them a couple of inches and make balancing them in your hands easier. They are shown in the photo.

Brock Crockett and the Retro Rockets

Attachments

• Nikon EII and SE 030 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
    Nikon EII and SE 030 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 129
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back