• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Noctivid are Back !!!!!!.......... (1 Viewer)

I too am struggling as the OP now says in Post #13 of this thread that his sample, “is sharp at any distance.” Torview points out the general consensus, “surely if this is just the scale moving/rocking under the clear window and the diopter gearing is disengaged so as to remain unaffected there is zero need for concern.” That would indicate, as so many others have pointed out, there has been zero need for concern all along, and the OP has possibly and unwittingly made a huge issue over nothing connected to actual diopter function or image.

It is the diopter window’s job to tell you how much correction is dialed in which it does. It is not the diopter window’s job to move in lock-step perfection with focus because it has no influence on the display function of the window or on optical performance and would therefore be unnecessary engineering.

Sorry in advance if I am missing something here. Like Loud Green Man, I’m struggling to understand.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
I too am struggling as the OP now says in Post #13 of this thread that his sample, “is sharp at any distance.” But in that Torview points out the general consensus, “surely if this is just the scale moving/rocking under the clear window and the diopter gearing is disengaged so as to remain unaffected there is zero need for concern.” That would indicate, as so many others have pointed out, there has been zero need for concern all along, and the OP has possibly and unwittingly made a huge issue over nothing connected to actual diopter function or image.

Exactly. I'd like GT to clear this up too. It could very well just be a misunderstanding, either of his original impression of the problem or his description of it, that will lead to a misconception that the NV might have a problem which it does not.

I just got the 10x42 Noctivid and the scale moves slightly when focusing back and forth. I think this must me normal. There is absolutely no diopter shift and the focus wheel has zero slop or backlash. It is just perfect and as good as the Nikon EDG ll I had.

Exactly. I'd like GT to clear this up too. It could very well just be a misunderstanding, either of his original impression of the problem or his description of it, that will lead to a misconception that the NV might have a problem which it does not.

Yes, I too am awaiting the response to this post.

Hello everyone.

It's been a reasonable time after receiving my Noctivid back from Leica with the complete focus system replaced and according with Leica.

The binocular still have a small play movement on the diopter but now this play does not increase with time still the same 1mm.

According with comments above looks like i was wrong and i am not able to see that the play on the diopter setting is something normal but sometimes it's better to shut up if you do not know what you're talking about.

I been using hight end binoculars from my father since i was 10 years old, carl zeiss Jena, ZEISS west, Leicas and recently Swarovski.

Is frustrating to read that i was wrong because the play is normal, well maybe in the normal units but on mine that play on the focus diopter was becoming bigger and bigger and affecting the diopter setting making the binocular useless.

Now everything is working fine and i spend a lot of time doing real in field test between my NV 10X42 and the SV Field pro 10x50.

Next time i will wait more to buy a new model waiting for the initial problems to be fixed.

Good for you, GT!

How do you compare the NV vs SV Field Pro 10x50?

Thank you and have a good 2018.

PHA

Thanks for clearing that up GT. Not wishing to sound patronising, but I admire people who post here who's first language is not English. However, it can be the source of misunderstanding. Again thanks for clarifying that your problem was not the normal very slight movement in the diopter gauge that has no effect on the actual setting.
Glad that your NTV's are fixed properly now, and hope that you feel the wait was worth while. Also looking forward to your field test comparisons between the NV and SV Field Pro 10x (42?).

Michael.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back