• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meostar 7x42 (1 Viewer)

jedku

Marc
Can anyone offer a review of these? I am looking for some HIGH quality 7x42s for under $1,000.
I have read comments that they look and feel like the Swarovski SLCs though there is apparently no connection in manufacture. Also, it was reported on another thread they are made in the Czech Republic.
Any review based on hands-on experience would be most useful.
Thanks!

I cannot help you with the 7x42s though I wish I could personally get my hands on a pair. I do have experience with both the 8x42s and 10x50s and I have a pair of the 8x42s coming in the mail today (see your other thread in the main binocular forum for further comments). Optically they are excellent. The two factors that initially hit me about the 8x42s were the exceptionally wide field (same 411 feet as the 7x42s) and the brightness levels. They are quite bright and directly comparable with the Trinovids, Venturers and Swaro SLCs in this regard. Overall distortion levels are also very comparable when one factors in the wider field of view. Probably the only optical quality that the others have an advantage on is contrast. I notice slightly better contrast in both of my Leica Trinovids and my Nikon LX. Is it noticeable? Yes, but it is not substantial to the point where it would turn me away from them.

Build quality is definitely on par with the big boys as well. Overall feel and balance is excellent but only time will tell if they have the durability of their more expensive counterparts.

Hope this was somewhat helpful. I will post more after I get them in and get to play with them a bit more.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back