• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

After much deliberation, Nikon EDG 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Dave,

So sorry you got a bad sample. I have 3 EDGs and none had any issue at all. The quality control is the best among alphas in my opinion. Afterall Nikon is taking good care of you.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes, it's good to have it all sorted out and have a functional pair.
I have to agree that the EDG are excellent but I wouldn't say that Nikon have the best quality control of all alpha level binoculars at all and I don't base this purely on my experience. Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss among others manufacture high quality gear under high quality standards.
I couldn't tell you who's the best but it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't Nikon.

Thanks for the heads up on the new review of the 8X32.

The Nikon EDG-II is Allbino's highest ranked 8X32, highest ranked 8X42 and highest ranked 10X42. The Swaro EL SV is their highest ranked 8.5X42. They have not reviewed the Zeiss HT, Zeiss SF or the Swaro 8X32 SV EL.

Hi Bruce,

Looks like Allbinos are as impressed with the 8x32 as I am.
Just to clarify my comment to Andy on who's the best, I was referring to quality control. I've never had any doubts about the view through the EDG, even when I had a faulty pair I still had a nice view.
My binoculars money is spent for a long time now but I'd like to see a review on the 7x42.

Dave,

Next, I would like to see Allbino's do a review of the Swaro 8X32 EL SV. If the Nikon gets the higher score, I bet Dennis will self-combust. :eek!:

As far as quality control goes, Zeiss, Swaro, Nikon and Leica all seem good overall. One thing that impresses me on the Nikons is how consistent they are between the units I have seen. It is near impossible to tell one like unit from another. That is a sign of good quality control. I suspect you just got that rare bad one. The low serial number may be significant. Who knows all what it had been through before they unloaded it on you.

Seeing as you really like your Nikon EDG-II 8X32, I think you would also like the 7X42. Other than the power and physical size, the view and mechanics are equivalent. I have noticed very small color balance differences between the models, which will most likely only show up in a careful side by side comparison. All of the four EDG-II models that I have handled had the exact same focus feel.

One improvement that would be nice on the 7X42 would be a wider field of view for a binocular in such a high price range. The raw number of 419 ft (140 M) sounds good, but the apparent field of view (simple method) works out to 56 degrees. In comparison, your EDG-II 8X32 has a FOV of 409 ft (136 M) and an apparent FOV of 62.4 degrees. The Zen-Ray ED2 7X36 has a FOV of 477 ft (159 M) with an apparent FOV of 63.6 degree. However it also has noticeably more pin cushion, smaller center view and a smaller objective lens. Keeping things in perspective, the closest available Nikon competitor is the Leica Ultravid Plus 7X42 which has the same field of view as the EDG 7X42.

Speaking of FOV, the Allbino Nikon EDG 8X32 review offers conflicting comments. They mention only one "Con" and it says:

•field of view could have been a bit wider

On the otherhand, the first section within the review detail says the following under the FOV category:

A big field of view for this class of equippment (sic).

If I were to list only one "Con" it would be that the EDG 8X32 is a little bit larger and heavier than some close competition. However it has the highest score in class, offering a view near as good as larger alpha 8X42 models, but at less weight and smaller size than the big guys. That is not too bad.:t:

If Zeiss can come up with an 8X32 SF on the same level as the Zeiss SF 42mm models, then there may be a new leader. Until then, I am staying with the EDG for my purposes.

Last edited:
I have often tried to look through my binoculars and "see" its FOV in the angular "apparent" FOV terms no matter what their power is but I always end up "seeing" it in "feet."

Just the other day I was looking at two Robins on my lawn near the left and right edges of the view in my binocular. I estimated that they were about 50 feet away from me so based on the 450'FOV @ 1000 yards of my 7x42 Victory I concluded that they were about 7' apart more or less.

Bob

Last edited:
I have been lusting after a pair of 8x or 10x EDG binos ever since the redesign. Good deals to be had on the refurbs, but I'm not crazy about a 90 day warranty. Sounds like world class glass no doubt.

Hi Bruce,

Some good points there and I agree.
One thing of note, minor as it may be, cosmetically my new sample has a few blemishes on the metal work. The main area affected is the angled edge below the central marker dot for the diopter has a ground off portion to it starting from the curved portion running along toward the centre of the binoculars (under the paint work). Difficult to describe but as an EDG owner you'd notice it when handling my sample. It's nothing major but a cosmetic flaw none the less so to compare the two samples I've tried one had good metal but less satisfactory rubber finish while the other is vice versa however the main point being the former had the diopter problem.
Anyway my main concern is the function and I'm possibly nit picking on the blemishes.
Another thing on the size and weight of the 32's vs the competition, they just feel and perform so well in hand that I'm happy as is and any reduction in size, weight, material or form change may alter that excellent handling so what may be a negative to some is actually a positive in that regard to me.
Funny comment about Dennis, yes I'm already aware of his antics yet I too would like to see an SV EL 8x32 review and read of his interesting feedback. That model was a strong contender when choosing the EDG but now I have my pair sorted I couldn't be happier with them and no longer wonder about the SV as nice as I'm sure it is.
I'm off for a cup of tea and some backyard viewing with my EDG right now actually.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Bruce,

Some good points there and I agree.
One thing of note, minor as it may be, cosmetically my new sample has a few blemishes on the metal work. The main area affected is the angled edge below the central marker dot for the diopter has a ground off portion to it starting from the curved portion running along toward the centre of the binoculars (under the paint work). Difficult to describe but as an EDG owner you'd notice it when handling my sample. It's nothing major but a cosmetic flaw none the less so to compare the two samples I've tried one had good metal but less satisfactory rubber finish while the other is vice versa however the main point being the former had the diopter problem.
Anyway my main concern is the function and I'm possibly nit picking on the blemishes.
Another thing on the size and weight of the 32's vs the competition, they just feel and perform so well in hand that I'm happy as is and any reduction in size, weight, material or form change may alter that excellent handling so what may be a negative to some is actually a positive in that regard to me.
Funny comment about Dennis, yes I'm already aware of his antics yet I too would like to see an SV EL 8x32 review and read of his interesting feedback. That model was a strong contender when choosing the EDG but now I have my pair sorted I couldn't be happier with them and no longer wonder about the SV as nice as I'm sure it is.
I'm off for a cup of tea and some backyard viewing with my EDG right now actually.

Cheers
I compared the Nikon 8x32 EDG II very closely to the Swarovski 8x32 SV for a long time. I kept the SV because I preferred the ergonomics and the optics. The SV's are smaller and lighter and the slender tubes allowed me to wrap my fingers around them better. I also preferred the less tacky armouring on the SV. Optically, the SV's were sharper at the edges than the EDG's which I liked, they were a little brighter, the contrast was a little better, the sweetspot was a little bigger on the SV's and they had a bigger FOV. I have no doubt that if Allbinos were to test the 8x32 SV they would be the new number one for those reasons just like the 42mm Swarovision beat the 42mm EDG. The Nikon's depreciate like crazy also. I got my new Nikon 8x32 EDG's II because I sent a pair of Nikon 8x32 EDG I's in for repair and they sent me the new EDG II's. When I decided to sell the Nikon 8x32 EDG's II I had to drop the price to $1000.00 to sell them on Ebay and they were like brand new. Nikon's depreciate a lot more than Swarovski's and I have sold quite a few of each brand. It is largely because people associate Nikon with a low end or maybe mid-priced binocular and they are not prepard to spend the big bucks on them like the big three. I would never pay say $1000 or more for a new pair of Nikon 8x32 EDG II's.

Last edited:
Dave ... First HighNorth got me looking for dirt specks with his Zeiss comments and now you got me looking for metal flaws!

Seriously, I did look mine over and compared it to the 10X42. Other than the size difference, they looked the same and I did not see anything unusual on mine. I am not sure of the exact spot you described, but I do understand what area you are talking about. You might contact that nice lady at Nikon and find out what she has to say. The flaw could potentially hurt resale value a little should you eventually want to sell it. As good as your Nikon is, you might find something new later that you like better. For that much money, it ought to be right!

Attachments

• Nikon EDG Resized.jpg
    Nikon EDG Resized.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 161
Hi Bruce and Dennis,

I'm not particularly convinced by your comments on the SV vs EDG, I'm not saying you're completely wrong but I do feel that perhaps there may be an emotionally based response rather than a completely scientific behind your choice.
Surely there are areas where the EDG performs better than the SV but you choose not to mention them or ignore them and only state what the SV can do better which may be purely subjective or just personal taste. This applies to many aspects when summing up a pair of binoculars for example ergonomics which are very good on the EDG and where you find the bridge design on the SV favourable for me it would only work on the larger 8.5x42 making the EDG better in those terms for me on the 32's.
When resale value is a factor and to an extent brand prestige that also lends to emotional response, while resale value may be a factor to many it should not be a consideration in assessing a products performance. Anyone into watches would be familiar with the Swiss vs Grand Seiko thing.
Either way there is no doubt that the EDG and SV are two of the best 32's out there and I'm not trying to discredit your personal findings or opinions in any way Dennis, my point simply being that personal opinion is the discerning point behind making something personally preferable to another. I'm sure I could be happy with either pair and possibly others but the Nikon are fitting like a glove so I need not consider.
Regarding the slight metal finish issue Bruce, in your photo my first pair was like yours which is basically perfectly formed where the metal contours around the focus knob. If you can imagine that sharp edge being squared off roughly along that line under the white dot up to a level of about one quarter of the dot height that's what I'm describing. It's not very noticeable and only mainly noticed when engaging the diopter setting.
Generally flaws in things annoy me but it's pretty trivial and not bothering me and these things are just so nice to use and the view just too good so I'll put it down as a non issue. As far as selling, these will never be sold and have been designated as my go to binoculars so will see a fair amount of use.
While watching some intriguing behaviour of an Australian raven yesterday afternoon I marvelled at the interaction with this pair of binoculars. That incredible focus mechanism that is perfectly damped with excellent mechanical feel and feedback that just snaps images into razor sharp view with no fuss.

Cheers

Last edited:
Dennis,

Just for the record the 10x42 SV did not beat the Nikon 10x42 EDG in the Allbinos ratings and the 8x42 SV did not beat the 8x42 EDG in the Allbinos ratings because there is no 8x42 SV.

Last edited:
Dennis,

Just for the record the 10x42 SV did not beat the Nikon 10x42 EDG in the Allbinos ratings and the 8x42 SV did not beat the 8x42 EDG in the Allbinos ratings because there is no 8x42 SV.
Sorry. It was the Swarovision 8.5x42 that killed the Nikon 8x42 EDG in the Allbino's test. The big areas where the Swaro beat the EDG were distortion where the Nikon only scored a 6 and the Swaro scored a 10. BIG DIFFERENCE! Also, the Swaro beat the EDG on coma and astigmatism. Two very important optical properties.

Hi Bruce and Dennis,

I'm not particularly convinced by your comments on the SV vs EDG, I'm not saying you're completely wrong but I do feel that perhaps there may be an emotionally based response rather than a completely scientific behind your choice.
Surely there are areas where the EDG performs better than the SV but you choose not to mention them or ignore them and only state what the SV can do better which may be purely subjective or just personal taste. This applies to many aspects when summing up a pair of binoculars for example ergonomics which are very good on the EDG and where you find the bridge design on the SV favourable for me it would only work on the larger 8.5x42 making the EDG better in those terms for me on the 32's.
When resale value is a factor and to an extent brand prestige that also lends to emotional response, while resale value may be a factor to many it should not be a consideration in assessing a products performance. Anyone into watches would be familiar with the Swiss vs Grand Seiko thing.
Either way there is no doubt that the EDG and SV are two of the best 32's out there and I'm not trying to discredit your personal findings or opinions in any way Dennis, my point simply being that personal opinion is the discerning point behind making something personally preferable to another. I'm sure I could be happy with either pair and possibly others but the Nikon are fitting like a glove so I need not consider.
Regarding the slight metal finish issue Bruce, in your photo my first pair was like yours which is basically perfectly formed where the metal contours around the focus knob. If you can imagine that sharp edge being squared off roughly along that line under the white dot up to a level of about one quarter of the dot height that's what I'm describing. It's not very noticeable and only mainly noticed when engaging the diopter setting.
Generally flaws in things annoy me but it's pretty trivial and not bothering me and these things are just so nice to use and the view just too good so I'll put it down as a non issue. As far as selling, these will never be sold and have been designated as my go to binoculars so will see a fair amount of use.
While watching some intriguing behaviour of an Australian raven yesterday afternoon I marvelled at the interaction with this pair of binoculars. That incredible focus mechanism that is perfectly damped with excellent mechanical feel and feedback that just snaps images into razor sharp view with no fuss.

Cheers
The only optical area I found the EDG to be superior to the SV was glare control. There could be ergonomic reasons you personally like the EDG. They are both excellent binoculars but I bet if they went head to head the SV's would have a slight optical advantage. I saw a lot less distortion in the SV's than the EDG's and also there was less coma and astigmatism just as Allbino's reported. My comparison was entirely unemotional because I have no brand loyality. Did you compare an SV to your EDG before purchasing? Just curious.

Sorry. It was the Swarovision 8.5x42 that killed the Nikon 8x42 EDG in the Allbino's test. The big areas where the Swaro beat the EDG were distortion where the Nikon only scored a 6 and the Swaro scored a 10. BIG DIFFERENCE! Also, the Swaro beat the EDG on coma and astigmatism. Two very important optical properties.

This is nonsense and you know it! Allbinos screwed up.

In a group rating of 23 binoculars the Swarovski 8.5 was the only one that wasn't 8x.

If you are going to compare binoculars in order to rate them all things have to be equal. An 8x42 is different than an 8.5 x42.

No matter how thin you cut it Baloney is still Baloney! Allbinos rated other 8.5s that the Swarovski could have been rated against but Allbinos rated them separately. Look it up.

Last edited:
This is nonsense and you know it! Allbinos screwed up.

In a group rating of 23 binoculars the Swarovski 8.5 was the only one that wasn't 8x.

If you are going to compare binoculars in order to rate them all things have to be equal. An 8x42 is different than an 8.5 x42.

No matter how thin you cut it Baloney is still Baloney! Allbinos rated other 8.5s that the Swarovski could have been rated against but Allbinos rated them separately. Look it up.
Well, they also included 40, 42 and 43 mm objectives so I guess including an 8.5 isn't much of a problem. And, those other 8.5's you mentioned included bins with 43, 44 and 45mm objectives and mags of 8 and 8.5. At least they got the rankings correct here...
http://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-8x42.html

Dennis...
See the end of the article regarding Ghosting Flare
http://diglloyd.com/articles/Binoculars/Binoculars-NikonEDG.html

Well, they also included 40, 42 and 43 mm objectives so I guess including an 8.5 isn't much of a problem. And, those other 8.5's you mentioned included bins with 43, 44 and 45mm objectives and mags of 8 and 8.5. At least they got the rankings correct here...

Dennis...
Interesting about the flare. Too bad the EDG's could have been right up there with the Swarovski's.

"The flare issue is the only issue that holds me back from giving the Nikon EDG line top billing among all the binoculars I tested. As it stands those looking for perfection are going to have to go with the Swarovski EL offering."

Dennis...

They could have had the same ranking in the 8.5 series. 7 of the 11 binoculars there were 8.5 power. For what ever reason allbinos didn't place them in it.

Dennis...

Re these EDGs with Ghosting Flare: They were Series I open frame versions sold only in the USA. They were evaluated by Diglloyd in March 2010 about the same time they were officially discontinued by Nikon. They were first introduced by Nikon in 2007 or so.

I owned and used a 10x32 version of it for 4 years after that. I did not see any problems with flare in it. Last summer I sent it in to Nikon to have the bubbling on its covering fixed along with having the corrugated rubber covering on the focus wheel replaced. It had stretched while in use. Instead Nikon replaced the binocular with the new 10x32 EDG II version. It doesn't have flare problems either. My costs for this were only for shipping the EDG I to Nikon America.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back