• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to see Leach's Petrel (1 Viewer)

Anything possible. We've already had Sabine's Gull, Kittiwake + Cory's Shearwater in that well known seabird hot spot, London in the last few days!

So I decided on a weekend in Norfolk instead and seeing the Northerly winds headed to Cley and saw 4 Leach's Petrels (a long overdue lifer), along with Pomarine, Arctic and Great Skua, Sooty and Manx Shearwater and Black Tern. Together with Red-breasted Flycatcher and Wryneck it made for an awesome day on the North Norfolk coast.

So I decided on a weekend in Norfolk instead and seeing the Northerly winds headed to Cley and saw 4 Leach's Petrels (a long overdue lifer), along with Pomarine, Arctic and Great Skua, Sooty and Manx Shearwater and Black Tern. Together with Red-breasted Flycatcher and Wryneck it made for an awesome day on the North Norfolk coast.

Well done!! Like you Leach's is a species I've long needed. If there's the right combination of weather, time off and if the "planets align" I might head down to Merseyside this autumn

Its that time of the year again. Early next week is looking like there is a decent chance of a few LP's with more later in the week.

Monday/Tues is the 1st chance of getting a few and conditions later in the week look great for bringing any pushed into the Irish Sea in closer to land.... usual provisos about the difficulty of making predictions a week in advance!

Last edited:
Its that time of the year again. Early next week is looking like there is a decent chance of a few LP's with more later in the week.

Monday/Tues is the 1st chance of getting a few and conditions later in the week look great for bringing any pushed into the Irish Sea in closer to land.... usual provisos about the difficulty of making predictions a week in advance!

What do you make of the forecast for tomorrow? Overnight we seem to have WSW force 5, then for the rest of the day WNW force 8. Obviously there are Leach's out there because some are being reported. I'm wondering if Crosby might be better than North Wirral? I'm thinking of giving the greater yellowlegs on Hilbre a go tomorrow morning so I'm not planning on going too far from the North Wirral / Crosby coast.

Last edited:
Looks great for LPs - there will certainly be some about. Hilbre will be the best place. Mersey mouth 1st light always worth a go too

Today was great for Leach's. Should be good for a couple more days

Fabulous, always nostalgia for me ;)

Down here, if the kind of winds you wouldn't wish for happen, late Oct-Jan/Feb, we do get them inshore and struggling - got to be one of the most heart wrenching sights - they seem to double their wingbeat speed when they find themselves over dry land/beach, like pannicking to get back into their domain. I've seen this like 4-5 times in about 30 years.

Here they were quite happy over the beach today!

I'm a long way form the small stuff at Hoylake but got way more skuas and Shearwater than further east

Attachments

• DSCN1394-001.JPG
    DSCN1394-001.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCN1404.jpg
    DSCN1404.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 212
35 Leach's and a possible Wilson's from Hilbre today, also a cracking pale adult pom, with complete and intact spoons.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back