• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kuwait wild camping? (2 Viewers)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
Yet another edition of "opisska goes birding to a funky destination" is here!

Kuwait seems super interesting, but it is also expenaive as hell, in particular when it comes to accomodation, thus camping would be prefferable. I could find that the locals camp in the desert, but it seems a very different style of camping from what I had in mind, there is also some talk about regulations and the need to reserve youe piece of desert in advance, but the information on this tppi. are really scarce online.

So does anyone know if I can just pitch a tent for the night by a road in Kuwait or not? Or are there some cheap accomodations that aren't obvious from the outside?

During I worked in Kuwait 2000 for 6,5 months, Kuwait people camped often in the desert at weekend.
They use complete equippment like power generator for light and TV.
Also water car for shower.
I remember there was also offizial camping places, but just only a place nothing else.
It is about 7 - 8 degree hotter than Emirates.
It means expect e.g. over 40 degrees even end of October and also over 40 degree can reached in April.
There are some areas marked with sign for risk of land mines.

see also
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/middle-east/kuwait/camping-in-kuwait

http://www.kuwaitbirds.org/
https://www.birdsofkuwait.com/

Should be 25 degrees max around Christmas. I know about the pompous camping, but am still not sure what does it mean for me with a small tent and nothong else. Are there any UNmarked minefields?

Should be 25 degrees max around Christmas. I know about the pompous camping, but am still not sure what does it mean for me with a small tent and nothong else. Are there any UNmarked minefields?

Sorry, I read this wrong, I read 'UN minefields', time for that eye check!

I don't think that minefilelds were laid in Kuwait, I assume you mean by the Iraqis?

A

Last edited:
All the deliberately laid minefields have been cleared (over 1.5 million ones). There are however still cluster munitions turning up in the desert, only a handful a year but people have been killed as recently as 2015. The golden rule is "don't touch anything that you find out in the desert."

In case anyone wonders, the answer is a resounding YES. Free camping is very easy in Kuwait, the only actual problem is finding an area where nobody else is camping already - we usually used power lines for that, people seem to avoid them - maybe it's forbidden, but we had no problems. Once we got checked by police on the middle of the night, but upon seeing passports and visa they were happy and wished us good times.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back