• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss SF Eyecups (1 Viewer)

arran

Anyone any news on the new eyecups?
I heart the first batch was distributed at the birdfair in the UK?
Thanks

Hi Arran
I'm not sure about their current availability in Europe. Contacting Zeiss Europe will probably snag you a pair.
Being based in the Americas I contacted Zeiss US and they got back to me today.
They say the eyecups will be available in the US by the end of October and they'll send me a pair when they arrive.

Cheers,
Bryan

Probably discussed in prior threads but what are the improvements made on the new version? Hopefully a tighter fit so they don't retract so easily. Thanks.

I just got my victory SFs serviced my Zeiss. Returned to me last Thursday. Case came with a yellow sticker saying “now with optimised eye cups”. They are 4 position and feel much smoother also slightly matter in finish than the old ones. A big improvement.

I thought I read that the 4-position eyecup was introduced in August 2016 with the black SF?

I've just received new eyecups for my quite-new SF; they seem to be identical visually, and functionally, to the ones I already had, yet my box did not have the yellow sticker, only the blue dot sticker which I believe means that the strap had been changed out.

So I'm now wondering whether mine had them already, or I just can't tell the difference :)

If anyone has both types, and there's a visual difference, a few pictures would be very helpful, please!

It may be just because I did have the older 3 position eye cups previously.

yup, that makes sense.

I was just a little surprised since, according to Cley Spy, my recent SF shouldn't have had the new eyecups: the box doesn't have the yellow sticker, and they didn't change them. But when Gary at ECBR kindly sent me a new pair they not only looked identical, but also seemed to behave identically too.

So either my SF had new ones anyway, or I am too clueless to tell the difference :)

I don't think this eyecup thing is much to get excited about for most Victory SF users. The original
ones do the job nicely.
Zeiss had plenty of time to get this right.

Jerry

Last edited:
I have just received my new SF eyecups today,(prompt response from Zeiss Customer Services -thank you).
First impressions are similar to "Oblique" #4. The positioning feels better and more secure. There was a very occasional tendency of slipping a notch on my old pair.

Being based in the Americas I contacted Zeiss US and they got back to me today.
They say the eyecups will be available in the US by the end of October and they'll send me a pair when they arrive.

Cheers,
Bryan
Thanks. Called them also and they will be sending me a pair. They are hoping their supply will arrive sooner but said definitely by the end of October.

I have just received my new SF eyecups today,(prompt response from Zeiss Customer Services -thank you).
First impressions are similar to "Oblique" #4. The positioning feels better and more secure. There was a very occasional tendency of slipping a notch on my old pair.

Just received mine but no instructions included. How did you replace them?

Just unscrew it and replace. I am wondering about the need for the replacement, is it
for eyeglass wearers or more detents ?

Jerry

Just unscrew it and replace. I am wondering about the need for the replacement, is it
for eyeglass wearers or more detents ?

Jerry

Jerry

I am pretty sure there is an extra detent but the big change as far as I am concerned is that when you adjust the eyecups they actually feel decently made and in keeping with the rest of the bino.

Lee

Lee:

Thanks, the original eyecup could use improvement, and can move down easily. So I do see the need for
a better one for Zeiss's best binocular.
I will be getting a new pair for mine also.

Jerry

Lee:

Thanks, the original eyecup could use improvement, and can move down easily. So I do see the need for
a better one for Zeiss's best binocular.
I will be getting a new pair for mine also.

Jerry
I recently received a replacement pair from Zeiss USA and there is a definite improvement with the added click stop and more resistance to moving down on you during viewing and when being carried. Interesting enough is that Zeiss had a supply on hand at their display table last month at the Cape May, NJ Fall Birding Festival.

What is the method for getting new eyecups, does one send them an email? Or is there a fee involved?

the original green-gray first generation SF retract too easily.

What is the method for getting new eyecups, does one send them an email? Or is there a fee involved?

the original green-gray first generation SF retract too easily.
Hi Etc.
I contacted them via email. They offered to send them gratis to the address of my choice. Quick response for the most part even though I think they were still in the middle of setting up the Kentucky facility at the time.
I ended up picking up a pair at the Space Coast Bird fair last year. The nice man at the booth even swapped them out for me.
Cheers,
Bryan

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back