• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The next Alpha technology - electronics will be the next frontier for alpha glass (1 Viewer)

If you know what Soylent Green is ... you might be getting old ;)
And just when we thought no producer was investing in IS, up pops an ad on my BF for Opticron Imagic IS 10x30!!! With very respectable 5.2 degree FOV. Has anyone seen a unit yet? Good price too. And a respectable and approachable company. I've never seen or owned an Opticron product that I didn't like. Remember the Taiga? A low-cost reverse porro compact that could match the Leica UV 8x20 optically.

If you know what Soylent Green is ... you might be getting old ;)
Lol :-O My biological age feels like it's about to clock triple digits ! :eek!:

GiGi, you'd be surprised for how many decades American TV shows/films re-ran on tellie here ! I was shattered to find out that the original Star Trek was only made for a few seasons - it seemed like decades !

I loved re-runs of all the Sci-fi stuff growing up - from the Jetsons, to Thunderbirds, UFO, Space 1999, Blake's Seven, Barbarella, Soylent Green, Logan's Run, Blade Runner, Mad Max, The Fifth Element, Total Recall, The Island, Under the Skin, ........ and on and on and on .......
I'm a bit future mad ! 3:) :D

Perhaps all because my Uncle was a fantastic artist and drew me Spaceships when I was about six years old, and also because my Dad loved space stuff too - so that was one of our bonds :t:

It doesn't matter if 'old fogey's' just want to sit down quietly in a rocking chair with a nice cup of tea and talk about Porro binoculars ......... kids are always going to race towards the future - and that's a pretty much unstoppable force ! :cat:

Considering my only real bird watching friend is in his mid 80's lol, and having seen the inner workings of the electronics industry, I'm very happy to remain 'analogue' for now, I'm also happy to cross time and space to live only in the now - it's so liberating not to wear a watch ! ....... but I'm also keeping an eye on what the clever humans can bring to the future ...... maybe one day .......... :cat:

The future -what happened to it_UFO.jpg Ed Strakers car_UFO.jpg 59775221_153249085723259_3454254431539067529_n-1.jpg file5-3.jpeg 634983690486162493.jpg

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Omg you're really bringing me back with Logans Run and Space 1999, etc.
I loved all that stuff too. I really like the original Star Trek and catch episodes here and
there on the oldies channels. I have barebones basic cable tv so it's several
oldies Channels , the local news and that's about it.

That first pic you posted is hilarious! Apparently everyone in the future wears shiny clothing and the same
outfits according to those old movies and tv shows.

Last edited:
Chosun one, you have a good imagination. How far are you prepared to go in investing in optics in
the vast binocular world ?

The Zenray had an out of this world name, is that what sold you ?

Jerry

Hello Chosen Juan (post 62),

Nice post , I also look to the future and wonder what will happen next , but perversely avidly read the old Sci-Fi and watch the old movies.

Don't write us "old fogies" off yet.

:king:.

Cheers.

………..
Today's world is full of knowledge but is running on empty when it comes to wisdom.
Knowledge teaches us that a tomato is a fruit, not a vegetable. But it is wisdom that teaches us not to put it into a fruit salad. :cat:

Bill

Well said! :-O

I found these on a shelf in TKMaxx today. At first glance I thought 'Low cost integrated digi-binos with star gazing app!'. Imagine my utter despair when I realized they're cheap 7x binos with a phone holder on top. You have to download a star app onto your own phone and put it in the holder. Whatever will they think of next, eh?;)

Attachments

• IMG_20191117_200544_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20191117_200544_hdr.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Omg ..... Apparently everyone in the future wears shiny clothing and the same
outfits according to those old movies and tv shows.
Not to mention the purple wigs !
Unless there's some high tech trickery to them then I imagine there would be a few purple afros on low humidity days ! 3:)

Last edited:
Chosun one, you have a good imagination. How far are you prepared to go in investing in optics in
the vast binocular world ?

The Zenray had an out of this world name, is that what sold you ?

Jerry
Jerry, well if it is a business expense then money is no object ....
Do you mean for my personal use or as a business venture? Classical Optics? Electronic? or Hybrid? Other?

Yes, indubitably. It was the "out of this world name" :cool:

Of course the best on market ergonomics, 'alpha' class or better CA and astigmatism handling, wide field of view, fast large knurled aloominum clockwise to infinity focuser, relatively light weight (lighter than an SF ;) ) , and neutral colour rendition are just icing on the cake :t:

We can decry technology all we want. We can say the technology is not there, or that it has already been tried and failed. Technology will advance (likely for as much evil as good) and it matters not one hoot what we think about it. The younger people have grown up with it and will continue to demand it. They are a growing segment of the population, older folks are declining.

I further opine that it won't be what we would readily identify as a recognized brand to do it (with some sort of new fangled optical contrivance or another) either.

I have always had the opinion that the job of a marketer is to make us think that buying their stuff was really our idea. I therefore find myself in agreement with Bill's position. ;)

We can take comfort in the notion that the current glass lensed optics we have are about as good as they are are going to get. Yet another reason to give way to more technology.
Steve, I agree the current optical technology frog is very close to the wall. I would say there is some materials engineering and manufacturing sophistication to come - and putting the best of the best together may deliver a detectably better view - certainly lighter and ultimately in real terms cheaper.

Apart from kids and rocketships, yes, the other big driver for advances in the electronic realm is mil-tac applications ...... unfortunately :-C

I believe we will see Sony back in the game at some stage with a further generational model upgrade to the DEV-50V. They have EVF's that can do 5.76 Million dots resolution or 120p (but not together as of yet) - I think I'd like quite a bit more than that - particularly on the frame scan rate. I'm sure I'm going to want more than 12x too - zooming in to 24x or 48x or 96x or more? I'd like true binocular vision from twin ~1" BSI sensors too. The delays will come in the capture and connectivity demanded and the transfer/sharing apps. I think any workable (comfortably usable) solution is likely to come from an established Electronics/Optics Co collaboration - at an alpha+ price.

Panasonic, Samsung, they'd be great platforms to get in on the caper too ..... of course all the big players have existing markets and niches to protect - so like photographic gear, offers are likely to fall annoyingly short in some areas to keep you buying ...... :cat:

Also, and perhaps regrettably I agree, we are going to see a lot of junk, rubbish toys, and very average performers as well ......

Perhaps one of the more useful of those gadgets will be an ordinary smartphone with binocular grouped cameras as I outlined before. Ergonomics will be taken care of by a flip up VR headset type mount - not sure I'd want to be wearing that hopping around the edge of any escarpments though ...... :eek!::eek!:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back