• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctivid supply problem? (1 Viewer)

Leica frequently produces variations of regular models. So allowing for the contingency of greater than expected demand - and then if need be, being able to promptly meet the demand
- should be a routine provision in their planning process

John,

You answered your own question in your previous post: computerized inventory management. The person who is running this computerized system has a goal: save money. A natural way to do that is to reduce inventory to an absolute minimum. And that's why the original poster is experiencing.

Your thinking (the phrase I highlighted) belongs to the age before MBA graduates took over businesses. Look at the airline industry to see what I mean. In our last vacation trip to Hawaii, I wanted to purchase some food items from the menu during the flight. The lady said, sorry we have run out of these items. We only have some biscuits left. I told her -angrily of course- if you don't have these items, why do you provide a menu?!! You know exactly how many passengers you have so you should have enough items for everybody. She said, the new policy is to "pre-order" your food online when you purchase a ticket. So, they only stock up a few of each item based on the "predictions" of how many items they are going to sell. The rest of the passengers will go hungry thanks to this high-efficiency inventory management system. (FYI, this wasn't a cheap flight or 2nd rate airline, we were flying American Airlines which is a major carrier in the US)

Same "modern" business mentality is likely being practiced by Leica too.

-Omid

PS1. Did you notice I highlighted the word "purchase"? A decade ago you didn't have to "purchase" food on a flight. They served you hot meals without a charge.

PS2. Since about a year ago, if you want a reserved seat, you have to "buy" it at the time of booking. Various seats have different prices (which dynamically change by some f$%#ing algorithm).

PS3. I am an expert in machine learning and algorithmic optimization. This very field is ruining human life. Prices of many items dynamically change by algorithms (hotel rooms, flights, consumer products, etc.). More $%it will come as things get more automated. :C

Last edited by a moderator:
Some airlines tanker fuel.
I.e. they fill up where fuel is cheap and carry this to the destination and fly back without refueling.
This saves them money, but increases CO2 emissions.
One airline says it will no longer do this and be more responsible.

Other cheapskate airlines fill up with only the strict minimum fuel load.
They have a reputation for declaring Pans.
This means they are given direct priority to land immediately.
This is done to reduce costs.
The pilots don't like it.
My nephew was just charged £55 on a cheap flight to print a boarding pass.
It is meant for the passenger to print it first.

I prefer Situation one.
On the other hand, landing heavy in an emergency is not good either.

I do not like the modern way of doing things, where cheapness rules.
But this is what the punter wants, so one cannot complain when people get what they asked for.

My relative just went to a well known retail park.
The shops were rather empty, the stock poor.
The escalator not working.
Why?
Because the damned internet has destroyed Britain's shops.
People browse the remaining stores then buy on the internet to save money.
As far as I am concerned this is unethical behaviour, but most seem to think it is absolutely fine.
But then whine because there are no shops left.

Regards,
B.

Actually, UK members of a certain age will recognise that I stole it from a cigarette commercial back in the late 1950's.
This showed a lone man lighting up a cigarette under the tag line 'you are never alone with a Strand'. 'Strand' being the brand name of the ciggies.

Lee

How funny, Lee! Only last week I received my copy of Nikon Owner Magazine from Grays of Westminster and there is an article there based on that commercial 'You are never alone with a Strand'. The brand didn't sell well incidentally and was taken off the market not long after.

Tom

How funny, Lee! Only last week I received my copy of Nikon Owner Magazine from Grays of Westminster and there is an article there based on that commercial 'You are never alone with a Strand'. The brand didn't sell well incidentally and was taken off the market not long after.

Tom

Where Birdforum dares to go, alpha brands surely follow!

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back