• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Colombia (1 Viewer)

Thank you, eitenaltman. I have attempted to contact Diego Calderon previously and have not heard back yet. Maybe I need to get his WhatsApp info. I've been in contact with Jose Luis Pushaina who was also in the video. The communication has been a bit difficult as his proposals haven't very well synced with my requests. We may yet work something out.
I did decide to make a reservation at El Dorado. They can also reserve a bi-lingual guide but it seems it may be whoever is available with the agency they use and we don't get any references.
We can probably better afford to hire the guide if we found more people to join our itinerary. Here is what Pushaina came up with: Day 1 - Los Flamencos Sanctuary (flamingoes, scarlet ibis), boat tour, lodging in Riohacha. Day 2 - Reserva Miramar forest birding, birding between Minca and El Dorado, lodge at El Dorado. Day 3 - Drive early to San Lorenzo Ridge for spectacular views, many endemics, higher elevation species, lodge at El Dorado. Day 4 - bird on the road to Minca, we want to stay in Minca but others could head to points further. Price for 2 private tour is $1470 US. Hoping to bring that down.

Thank you, eitenaltman. I have attempted to contact Diego Calderon previously and have not heard back yet. Maybe I need to get his WhatsApp info. I've been in contact with Jose Luis Pushaina who was also in the video. The communication has been a bit difficult as his proposals haven't very well synced with my requests. We may yet work something out.
I did decide to make a reservation at El Dorado. They can also reserve a bi-lingual guide but it seems it may be whoever is available with the agency they use and we don't get any references.
We can probably better afford to hire the guide if we found more people to join our itinerary. Here is what Pushaina came up with: Day 1 - Los Flamencos Sanctuary (flamingoes, scarlet ibis), boat tour, lodging in Riohacha. Day 2 - Reserva Miramar forest birding, birding between Minca and El Dorado, lodge at El Dorado. Day 3 - Drive early to San Lorenzo Ridge for spectacular views, many endemics, higher elevation species, lodge at El Dorado. Day 4 - bird on the road to Minca, we want to stay in Minca but others could head to points further. Price for 2 private tour is $1470 US. Hoping to bring that down.

It's possible to do it rather more cheaply, especially if you're prepared to rough it a bit. There are local guides who operate out of minca and who cost around 60-100 dollars for a day. Of course you can stay at el Dorado at >100 a day, but by now the biological station further up may have been renovated or there's the telecommunication tower. Public buses are easy to riohacha and there's at least one guide in Camarones. You can find many of the specialities near the latter (just walking), or enter the main part of the sanctuary from the west side. You can identify most things easily yourself. Motorcycle taxis will take you pretty much anywhere. When I was in the area the habitat above minca was in bad shape following a fire some years ago. Some things like the warbler weren't around

Some pics by my daughter from her 2019 archeology / ethnology excursion in the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta region. Anybody know all these birds?
Can‘t wait to sometime visit myself what must be a fabulous country with incredible wildlife.

Attachments

• EAECCA2E-CE52-4BF3-830C-64DC1353C221.jpeg
    EAECCA2E-CE52-4BF3-830C-64DC1353C221.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 27
  • C7EBBFA3-E67E-4763-9FAE-AB2D59D926D5.jpeg
    C7EBBFA3-E67E-4763-9FAE-AB2D59D926D5.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 6FB95D78-464F-44E7-B504-8E4C774AE042.jpeg
    6FB95D78-464F-44E7-B504-8E4C774AE042.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 94D713A5-DD77-46CB-9C62-0B8EEF1C1FFB.jpeg
    94D713A5-DD77-46CB-9C62-0B8EEF1C1FFB.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 28
  • CEC50988-9CDA-4B14-9ED1-394D59554DDC.jpeg
    CEC50988-9CDA-4B14-9ED1-394D59554DDC.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 28
Canip, the ID Q&A forum may be a better bet for identification, luckily I check out both binocular and ID forums occasionally ;)

1) I believe is a female Violet-bellied Hummingbird 2) female Masked trogon 3) Band tailed guan 4) Lesser violet-ear 5) Pale naped brush-finch

Hope this helps!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back