• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Sea Thread (1 Viewer)

A few birds last couple of days on Eko Kilo. Not able to have a good look as very busy.
Yesterday Robin, Garden W, Song Thrush, Blackcap, Rb Fly. hopefully more today as conditions are still poor.

Birds just starting to move through here also. Yesterday saw Grey Wagtail, Kestrel, Mipit, Starling and Song Thrush. All single birds. This morning, the Grey Wagtail was still present.

Also seen yesterday was a Great Skua.

Two resident Carrion Crows still present.

Birds just starting to move through here also. Yesterday saw Grey Wagtail, Kestrel, Mipit, Starling and Song Thrush. All single birds. This morning, the Grey Wagtail was still present.

Also seen yesterday was a Great Skua.

Two resident Carrion Crows still present.

I'm really starting to root for the crows!!

One thing we do get though is Grey Wagtail! I found one yesterday

I have been pretty uncomfortable with the above identification, ever since I made it back in April. I am not familiar with Yellow Wagtail (Bogey bird), and although I was not sure at the time, I think I just went with what would have been my default species back home, then regretted it ever since. From the NSBC records, we are actually more likely to get Yellow than Grey, so that also added to my self doubts.

This week, we had a definite 100% sure Grey Wagtail. I had an extended close proximity view of the bird, and it has made me even more certain that I misidentified the April wagtail. As such, I have taken the unusual step of challenging my own record with the NSBC. Today, I sent the recorder a note explaining my unease, and included a description of what I am absolutely sure that I remember. My description is as follows.

"I spotted the April Wagtail wading through a puddle of water on the Skid Deck at a distance of about 35 to 40 feet. I could clearly see its right flank and back, although not the front of the breast due to the angle. The first thing that struck me was the large amount of bright yellow I could see on the birds flank and continuing up and around to the breast. The second thing that struck me was the tail. It looked short and very thin for a Grey Wagtail. The third striking factor was that even to the naked eye, the back/mantle was olive coloured. And lastly, the bird looked more upright than what I am used to seeing with Grey Wagtails. At this point, I was able to get my Monocular on the bird, very briefly before to flew off, never to be seen again by me. The one over-riding image I had of the bird through the monocular was that the neck and back of its head were olive green with tiny flecks of yellow showing in the strong sunlight".

I suspect what will happen is that it will be recorded as "Wagtail species Grey/Yellow". From my description, what are your opinions?

A Collared Dove was reported to me yesterday, and this morning, I came across our first Redwing of the year.

2019 List

1. Great Black-Backed Gull
2. Kittiwake
3. Iceland Gull
4. Herring Gull
5. Fulmar
6. Gannet
7. Guillemot
8. Ringed Plover
9. Rock Pipit
10. Robin
11. Pied Wagtail*
12. Meadow Pipit
13. Goldcrest
14. Grey Heron
15. Common Gull
16. Black-Headed Gull
17. Blackcap*
18. Sparrowhawk*
19. Grey Wagtail
20. Kestrel*
21. Carrion Crow
22. Water Rail
23. Song Thrush
24. Wren
25. Teal
26. Turnstone*
27. Cormorant
28. Lesser Black-Backed Gull
29. Swallow
30. Nightjar (d)
31. House Martin
32. Shag
33. Red-Backed Shrike
34. Eider*
35. Snipe (d)
36. Arctic Tern
37. Collared Dove
38. Redwing

Despite promising easterlies, no birds are being delivered. Very frustrating. And to make matters worse, one of my crows is missing.

On the bright side, my description of the April "Grey" Wagtail has been accepted as a Yellow Wagtail. I realise changing an ID in retrospect is thwart with danger, but this one has worried and niggled away at me since day one.

2019 List

2. Kittiwake
3. Iceland Gull
4. Herring Gull
5. Fulmar
6. Gannet
7. Guillemot
8. Ringed Plover
9. Rock Pipit
10. Robin
11. Pied Wagtail*
12. Meadow Pipit
13. Goldcrest
14. Grey Heron
15. Common Gull
16. Black-Headed Gull
17. Blackcap*
18. Sparrowhawk*
19. Yellow Wagtail
20. Kestrel*
21. Carrion Crow
22. Water Rail
23. Song Thrush
24. Wren
25. Teal
26. Turnstone*
27. Cormorant
29. Swallow
30. Nightjar (d)
31. House Martin
32. Shag
33. Red-Backed Shrike
34. Eider*
35. Snipe (d)
36. Arctic Tern
37. Grey Wagtail
38. Collared Dove
39. Redwing

It has been dismal, and there is no sign of it getting any better. This is what should be my best trip of the year, but there is next to nothing coming through. The odd Mipit and Starling is about as exciting as it gets at the moment, and with only a few days left on board, it looks like this migration season is a write off.

I can't even blame the weather. We had three or four days of easterlies and they produced nothing. Even the Skuas have been absent. I've now reached the point where I can't even bring myself to do the daily gull count.:-C

And the last crow seems to have gone.

Of course, it would only take one premier bird to change everything. ;)

Could be a good day to check those east coast hotspots. Birds are finally on the move in numbers.

Just before first light, we were being circled by hundreds of Redwing. Since first light, I have seen quite a few smaller birds flitting about, but until lunchtime, I've not been able to ID anything in certainty. I suspect Goldcrest to be most of movers seen ever so briefly. Lunchtime saw a pair of Chaffinch on the Skid Deck.

Also present today was.......wait for it........the return of one of the resident crows. Seen yesterday as well, it seems it never really left.

And a Woodpigeon at first light.

2. Kittiwake
3. Iceland Gull
4. Herring Gull
5. Fulmar
6. Gannet
7. Guillemot
8. Ringed Plover
9. Rock Pipit
10. Robin
11. Pied Wagtail*
12. Meadow Pipit
13. Goldcrest
14. Grey Heron
15. Common Gull
16. Black-Headed Gull
17. Blackcap*
18. Sparrowhawk*
19. Yellow Wagtail
20. Kestrel*
21. Carrion Crow
22. Water Rail
23. Song Thrush
24. Wren
25. Teal
26. Turnstone*
27. Cormorant
29. Swallow
30. Nightjar (d)
31. House Martin
32. Shag
33. Red-Backed Shrike
34. Eider*
35. Snipe (d)
36. Arctic Tern
37. Grey Wagtail
38. Collared Dove
39. Redwing
40. Woodpigeon
41. Chaffinch

Last edited:
Tuesday morning saw another influx of birds. More Redwing evident before first light, then shortly before leaving the platform, a final walk around produced confirmed Goldcrests, a Blackcap and a second Wren for the year.

Standing up at the Helideck waiting on my imminent flight, and looking down across the Skid Deck I could see small birds flitting about. Looks like I've missed the boat again.

October was a painful experience for me, as I departed the platform at exactly the wrong moment. For a week after my departure, there was a huge influx of birds. Sadly, I could, from the reports I received, only confirm two identifications. The first was a Short-eared Owl, and the second was a platform first with a single Waxwing making an appearance.

I returned for a couple of weeks in November, but it was grim fare with only a couple of Blackbirds seen over and above the common seabirds and our resident Carrion Crow.

This month, I returned just over a week ago, but there has been nothing beyond the common winter seabirds, and very few of them.

At this time of year, I usually get White-Winged Gulls, but there has been no sign of them so far.

Roll on 2020!

2019 List

2. Kittiwake
3. Iceland Gull
4. Herring Gull
5. Fulmar
6. Gannet
7. Guillemot
8. Ringed Plover
9. Rock Pipit
10. Robin
11. Pied Wagtail*
12. Meadow Pipit
13. Goldcrest
14. Grey Heron
15. Common Gull
16. Black-Headed Gull
17. Blackcap*
18. Sparrowhawk*
19. Yellow Wagtail
20. Kestrel*
21. Carrion Crow
22. Water Rail
23. Song Thrush
24. Wren
25. Teal
26. Turnstone*
27. Cormorant
29. Swallow
30. Nightjar (d)
31. House Martin
32. Shag
33. Red-Backed Shrike
34. Eider*
35. Snipe (d)
36. Arctic Tern
37. Grey Wagtail
38. Collared Dove
39. Redwing
40. Woodpigeon
41. Chaffinch
42. Goldcrest
43. Short-Eared Owl*
44. Waxwing*

Final 2019 list

Last year felt like a bit of a struggle, however, my final list shows only one less species than the year before.

The only addition in December was a deceased Brambling that I came across. I'm sure that many more will have passed through, but I missed the main migration rush last year.

Surprisingly, despite it being a poor year in terms of species numbers, I have recorded seven species that are new to the platform. They were Yellow Wagtail, Wren, Teal, Nightjar, Arctic Tern, Waxwing and Red-Backed Shrike.

And of course, the other big highlight was the Orca sightings.

2019 List

2. Kittiwake
3. Iceland Gull
4. Herring Gull
5. Fulmar
6. Gannet
7. Guillemot
8. Ringed Plover
9. Rock Pipit
10. Robin
11. Pied Wagtail*
12. Meadow Pipit
13. Goldcrest
14. Grey Heron
15. Common Gull
16. Black-Headed Gull
17. Blackcap*
18. Sparrowhawk*
19. Yellow Wagtail
20. Kestrel*
21. Carrion Crow
22. Water Rail
23. Song Thrush
24. Wren
25. Teal
26. Turnstone*
27. Cormorant
29. Swallow
30. Nightjar (d)
31. House Martin
32. Shag
33. Red-Backed Shrike
34. Eider*
35. Snipe (d)
36. Arctic Tern
37. Grey Wagtail
38. Collared Dove
39. Redwing
40. Woodpigeon
41. Chaffinch
42. Goldcrest
43. Short-Eared Owl*
44. Waxwing*
45. Brambling (d)

A pretty decent list that Paul. Excellent work laddie.

Can you remind me what the asterisks denote? I'm sure you've told us before, but my memory... well... ummmm.;)

Can you remind me what the asterisks denote?

Asterisks denote birds seen on the platform by others, but not observed by myself. I get lots of reports in from other guys, but am pretty conservative as to what I list. Case in point would be last year's Waxwing. Although seen by a non-birder, who had to look the bird up on the internet, he had a clear unobscured view at close (10ft) quarters. Based on that, plus there is not really anything he could confuse it with, I accepted the sighting. On the other hand, if he came to me and said that he had seen an Eastern Olivaceous Warbler; that would not be making the list.

Ah of course. Thanks Paul.

Any of them you feel a bit miffed as to having missed?

Yeah, I can imagine Paul. A very sad sight that must have been.

So sad. I've never seen one up here, though have both in England and Wales.

Not surprisingly for the time of year; there are few birds about. This is the mildest and wettest offshore winter I can remember, so maybe it should be no surprise that we have had no white-winged gulls this season. There is still time, but it is looking unlikely.

So, to kick off the 2020 list, we have the expected few, plus our still resident Carrion Crow.

2020 List

2. Carrion Crow
3. Herring Gull
4. Kittiwake
5. Fulmar

A welcome winter visitor today. I seem to get one or two a year in recent times, but they are still surprisigly uncommon here.

2020 List

2. Carrion Crow
3. Herring Gull
4. Kittiwake
5. Fulmar
6. Shag

Attachments

• DSCF2627 rsz.jpg
    DSCF2627 rsz.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 61
First Gannet of the year passed by this morning.

2020 List

2. Carrion Crow
3. Herring Gull
4. Kittiwake
5. Fulmar
6. Shag
7. Gannet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back