• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds without tails (1 Viewer)

There was a Great Tit without a tail in my garden all summer; I assumed it had lost it to a fox or cat. It couldn't fly properly - the best it could manage was to haul itself up into the air a few feet and throw itself at a target - but seemed to be managing okay. Not sure how it's doing now though (I'm away at college so haven't seen it for a while).

I've seen an entirely tail-less Brown-headed Cowbird, a half-tailed Mourning Dove, and a male Barn Swallow missing one of its outer rectrices. ;)

I saw the Junco again. It was feeding on the ground right outside my window so I was able to take a closer look. Its tail was shorter than the wing tips but it did have a tail. Perhaps it is growing back.

I had a Junco without a tail. No tail at all.

When we are ringing it is not too unusual to find a bird (adult) with a tail that appears to have been replaced completely suggesting it had lost it's tail.

Most, maybe all, of the species we see moult their tail feathers sequentially, so the new feathers grow in at different times. Some birds show barring - marks caused by transient nutrient deficiency - right across all tail feathers (commonly seen in juveniles) suggesting they have grown all their tail feathers at the same time.

Many individuals lose a tail, partially or completely, and regrow it without futher mishap.

Mike.

I've seen a Pied Wag-no-tail. I thought I'd found a lesser spotted woodpecker when I picked it up flying over.

When I was going to the far-east my mate warned me.Make sure the birds have no tails,strange he s not a birder

This is very interesting because I got a great look at him again just a foot or two from my dining room window. His tail appears to be growing back and is still shorter than his wing tips.

Interesting information on the tails.

When we are ringing it is not too unusual to find a bird (adult) with a tail that appears to have been replaced completely suggesting it had lost it's tail.

Most, maybe all, of the species we see moult their tail feathers sequentially, so the new feathers grow in at different times. Some birds show barring - marks caused by transient nutrient deficiency - right across all tail feathers (commonly seen in juveniles) suggesting they have grown all their tail feathers at the same time.

Many individuals lose a tail, partially or completely, and regrow it without futher mishap.

Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back