Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Audible nocturnal migrant waders and other water birds

Old Sunday 7th September 2008, 22:49   #1
Allen S. Moore

Audible nocturnal migrant waders and other water birds

Although the redwing is the nocturnal migrant bird that I have heard most often over my home town Peel here in the Isle of Man, I have also heard a number of species of wading birds flying over at night (greenshank was the best) and occasionally other water birds, most impressively a herd of whooper swans a few years ago, a wonderful sound.

This evening I heard what sounded a bit like common or arctic terns flying over in the dark. I'm not sure what they were, mind, as I haven't heard those species for a few years. It set me wondering, do others hear migrating waders or other birds flying over at night? I'm sure that it is a global phenomenon!

Allen

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 7th September 2008, 23:17   #2
MSA
I may be relaxed but I'm not drunk....

Wherever I've lived, quite a large "chunk" of my garden list involves night-time calls, indeed I've just added Green Sandpiper to my current garden list this evening!

BF Supporter 2007 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 8th September 2008, 06:58   #3
Rob1991S-O-T

i have had whooper swans over in the night
and heard when in norfolk dunlin flying over at night
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: