Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Brightness

Old Thursday 26th February 2004, 14:08   #1
Ashley beolens
Breeding the next generation of birders.

Brightness

Can anyone help me? The only adjustments the photos have had are a reduction in size to 600 x 450 and quality to 6 on Photoshop.

A) Discover why these pics are so dark, shutter speed was 1/1000!

B) Help me improve them, too much brightening and they gat very pixelated (forgot to lower the ISO to 100 was set at 200).

Pic setings:
Apature priority, 1/1000 shutter speed, 200 ISO f stop 4.4

CP 4500 camera Swaro AT80 HD scope.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coaltit.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	5866  Click image for larger version

Name:	greattit.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	5867  
Old Thursday 26th February 2004, 15:49   #2
mipettin

Some ideas

Hi

Some things I can think of are:

You are using Aperture priority - this will set the shutter speed automatically based on the light in the scene.

Sometimes digital cameras can get fooled. For instance is your camera set to spot measurement - i.e. it measures the light based on what is in the centre of the shot. If you are focusing on a bright object it will underexpose the shot - i.e. shutter speed will be too quick.

Also with some digital cameras you can change the EV - Exposure Value - this has the effect of lightening the image - if you increase the value or darkening the image if you lower the value. By checking the EXIF data or your camera menu - you may find what this is set at.

The last thing I can think of is that you have used a scope. The scope will reduce the light into the camera. Are you on full optical zoom as this will reduce it further. I have seen somewhere that you should keep the optical zoom down - say 20x for a 60x scope for taking pics.

Hopefully other members can correct me about the above comments. There some ideas to throw in the pot.

Keep digiscoping and posting here

Martin
Old Thursday 26th February 2004, 16:56   #3
Doug Greenberg

Digital cameras have metering systems that tend toward underexposure because the camera designers know that the greatest headache for digital photographers is "blown-out whites." One always has to expose in such a way that this problem is minimized, and the result sometimes is that to protect the highlights one loses the darker portions of the photo.

In situations like the one your photo depicts, I have gotten similar results. What you have is a small area of the frame where there is very intense lighting (i.e., your peanuts). In an attempt to "balance" the exposure, your meter has increased your shutter speed to the point where much of the frame (but not all!) is underexposed.

In my experience, the only solution is to recognize this issue right away (you know; look at the first finished exposure, *especially the histogram*), and then use your exposure compensation button to increase exposure to where you want it.

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: