Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Video to Laptop

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 25th January 2010, 12:29   #1
denbigh

Video to Laptop

I run a Canon XM2 video camera which I download to my imac with no problems via the firewire port.

I now wish to buy a laptop to take with me when I go away. My problem is will I be able to down load my video via the very small firewire port on the laptops I have seen with a fire wire port.

The only ones I have seen are the sony machines and the more expensive of the mac laptops.

I have asked canon for their advice but they were most unhelpful saying that they could not recommend any particular machine.

Any advice would be useful thank you.

Denbigh
Old Monday 25th January 2010, 13:06   #2
Matt Prince
Sharkbait

Denbigh, I download dv and even Hidef onto a Toshiba Satellite A100 (T2400) through a firewire port without any problems or dropped frames (providing the tape is in good condition, couple of damaged tapes have caused issues but nothing to do with the Firewire transfer). Its quite an old dual core satellite with a huge screen, a pain to lug around but a good NLE system (for DV at least).

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 25th January 2010, 13:47   #3
hampers
Hampers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Prince View Post
Denbigh, I download dv and even Hidef onto a Toshiba Satellite A100 (T2400) through a firewire port without any problems or dropped frames (providing the tape is in good condition, couple of damaged tapes have caused issues but nothing to do with the Firewire transfer). Its quite an old dual core satellite with a huge screen, a pain to lug around but a good NLE system (for DV at least).
I have also downloaded video from a Canon video camera to a Toshiba Satellite laptop with no problems via the small firewire port.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 25th January 2010, 18:35   #4
denbigh

Thanks for the advice guys I will check this model out.
Old Monday 25th January 2010, 19:20   #5
Gordon

Denbigh - I would highly recommend that you buy a high quality firewire cable as I had problems a while ago transferring video from camcorder to a Dell laptop - running Windows XP. Dell even said that I needed a new motherboard!! As the laptop was under warranty that meant an engineer would come and do the job I said that if Dell basically wanted to give me new laptop at no cost to me that would be OK. Altough I had said that the motherboard was not the problem they replaced it - and, of course, did not sort the problem. However, going out a buying a good quality lead did fix it!!!

cheers
Gordon
Old Monday 25th January 2010, 19:39   #6
alan_rymer

Most laptops have a PC Card socket ( used to be called PCMCIA ), which wall take a firewire adaptor.
This is just the first site I found.
http://www.cables2u.co.uk/firewire-i...FcZe4wodz03QzQ

Its not an optical illusion!. It just looks like one!.
Latest Life bird: Yellow Browed Warbler 27/10/18

BF Supporter 2004 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 26th January 2010, 13:03   #7
Matt Prince
Sharkbait

"Thanks for the advice guys I will check this model out."

The sattelite is a good laptop - two caveats, with 17'' screen it's huge, great for running adobe premier, but only just portable, if you're looking for something to take on holiday, and you're not so worried about screen real-estate, you'll probably want something a bit more portable. Second caveat - its old now, probably been superceded.

The bottom line is though - any laptop with a firewire in and disk capable of sustained speed of 7200rpm should be fine for (mini DV or Hidef from mini DV) video capture. You'll need to make sure you've got the appropriate software for capture as well if you go the PC route. Though you can download simple dv capture programs very easily.

I'd (personally) be hesitant to go the PC card socket route, just because it adds another cost, and another link to the chain.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: