Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

neighbor sprayed bird feeder on fruit tree... help

Old Sunday 30th May 2010, 17:47   #1
scully1013

neighbor sprayed bird feeder on fruit tree... help

Hi,

My neighbor, who always thinks he is being helpful, sprayed my peach tree this afternoon. I didn't have a chance to move my newly filled finch sock. I really hate to waste all that food since it is so expensive. (And this is a really long sock. Probably about $10 worth of food inside)

I know the question will be 'what kind of spray.' Honestly, he is so defensive when questioned (and I already commented on my poor finch sock) that I'm very reluctant to ask him what kind of spray he used. There is nothing wrong with the tree, he just said it needed sprayed so the peaches would grow.

Any thoughts or advice on saving the bird food or whether spray like that would poison the birds? (I have taken it down until I find something out.)

Thank you!

Deborah
Old Sunday 30th May 2010, 18:20   #2
Apodemus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scully1013 View Post
Hi,

My neighbor, who always thinks he is being helpful, sprayed my peach tree this afternoon. I didn't have a chance to move my newly filled finch sock. I really hate to waste all that food since it is so expensive. (And this is a really long sock. Probably about $10 worth of food inside)

I know the question will be 'what kind of spray.' Honestly, he is so defensive when questioned (and I already commented on my poor finch sock) that I'm very reluctant to ask him what kind of spray he used. There is nothing wrong with the tree, he just said it needed sprayed so the peaches would grow.

Any thoughts or advice on saving the bird food or whether spray like that would poison the birds? (I have taken it down until I find something out.)

Thank you!

Deborah
Without knowing what he sprayed on the tree, it really is an impossible question to answer.
Old Sunday 30th May 2010, 18:33   #3
jmepler
It's just a flesh wound.

Even if you knew what was sprayed on the tree, is it really worth the risk?

Would you eat it yourself, or feed it to your children?

I would throw the seed out. I would think that the sock could be washed and used again.

Mike
Old Sunday 30th May 2010, 18:35   #4
Mike Shurmer

No choice but to replace the food.
Old Monday 31st May 2010, 05:12   #5
scully1013

Yes, that is what I figured. Thank you.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: