Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Common Bronzewing or Spotted Turtledove chick?

Old Monday 21st February 2011, 18:52   #1
Rose Fletcher
Rose from Australia - formerly Birdeye

Common Bronzewing or Spotted Turtledove chick?

This little one was picked up injured on a road in Willunga, South Australia, by my son. Because of the difficulty in rearing pigeon/dove chicks, and the fact that I didn't know where my recipe for pigeon milk was, I took it to a wildlife care organisation.

The problem, however, is this: Spotted Turtledoves (Streptopelia chinensis) are introduced birds and fall outside the care guidelines of the wildlife care organisation. Common Bronzewings (Phaps chalcoptera), which I believe the bird to be, are native birds and will be cared for. I took the bird to the care lady believing it to be a native bird, but she insisted that it was not a bronzewing, but an introduced turtledove. Once you take a bird to them, they will not give it back, so the bird is now in their hands.

It's now about 5.00 AM here, and I've been up all night worrying that they might put down a native bird by mistake. If I had thought it was an introduced bird I would have done my best for it myself; however, that was not what happened, and there's no going back.

Can anybody verify for me which species of bird this chick is, while there is still time to intervene if my ID was correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090183 - Copy.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	309562  
Old Monday 21st February 2011, 19:05   #2
birdboybowley

Hi Rose,
The white face markings alone are enough to id it as a Common Bronzewing.

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 21st February 2011, 19:12   #3
Rose Fletcher

Thanks Bowley! I needed verification from elsewhere, as the wildlife carers, while knowledgable and dedicated, don't like local folks telling them 'their' business. It's sort of..'treading on toes'.

I couldn't believe the lady argued with my ID, Spotted Turtledoves don't have any white around their eyes. You've probably saved the bird's life, as soon as it gets late enough for me to make a phone call, I will quote you as an 'international expert'. That will be enough to persuade them to take another look.
Old Monday 21st February 2011, 19:19   #4
birdboybowley

Been called alot of things before Rose...but never an 'international expert'!! Anyways, good luck and hope you get that phonecall in before they make a mistake. Keep us posted

Ads

www.adambowleyart.com

Old Monday 21st February 2011, 19:33   #5
Rose Fletcher

Adam, if it helps the little bird along without bruising any tender egos, an international expert you will be. It's called diplomacy in some circles...barefaced lying in others...
Old Monday 21st February 2011, 22:04   #6
birdboybowley

Fine by me Rose!!

www.adambowleyart.com

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: