Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

birds don't like live mealworms

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Wednesday 20th June 2012, 15:23   #1
HartleyHare
Registered User
 
HartleyHare's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: isle of anglesey
Posts: 115
birds don't like live mealworms

I bought a tub of live mealworms and have just put some out and the birds won't touch them. They ignored the bowl I put them in ( its a bowl they are used to ) and started queueing to get onto the fatball and peanut feeders instead . So, I removed the feeders and now they all sat on top of the bushes glaring down at me. What shall I do ??
HartleyHare is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 20th June 2012, 16:06   #2
Kits
Social Media Editor
BF Supporter 2020
 
Kits's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 147,000
Can you not leave the bowl out and see if they come to it after a while?
__________________
Kits

"Sail away from safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
Kits is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 20th June 2012, 17:09   #3
HartleyHare
Registered User
 
HartleyHare's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: isle of anglesey
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits View Post
Can you not leave the bowl out and see if they come to it after a while?
I did just that and mixed the worms in with the stuff in the bowl. Now 2 hours later the bowl is bare apart form a few worms I thought they were supposed to love live worms ? Shall I just all their usual stuff away and just leave them the worms ?
HartleyHare is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 20th June 2012, 17:41   #4
Kits
Social Media Editor
BF Supporter 2020
 
Kits's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 147,000
I would continue to leave out your usual feeders as well as the worms. Sometimes birds take a little while to get used to new things.
__________________
Kits

"Sail away from safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
Kits is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 21st June 2012, 19:18   #5
HartleyHare
Registered User
 
HartleyHare's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: isle of anglesey
Posts: 115
The Starlings love them, so does the Jackdaw but the Sparrows ( who I bought the worms for ) just look at it in disgust.

I put out a bowl this morning before the Starlings arrived and they all sat in a line on the top of the bushes and stared at me in total silence. It was the silence that was eery as they are usually chattering away amongst themselves and hopping about on the bushes waiting to get onto the table. After I had put the bowl down a couple of the adult birds came and had a look and then flew off. left teh bowl for an hour or so and then gave in and put out their usual breakfast. You have never heard some a clamouring and jabbering

I thought Sparrows love live mealworms and will feed them to their chicks ??
HartleyHare is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 21st June 2012, 19:25   #6
etudiant
Registered User
BF Supporter 2020

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 4,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by HartleyHare View Post
The Starlings love them, so does the Jackdaw but the Sparrows ( who I bought the worms for ) just look at it in disgust.

I put out a bowl this morning before the Starlings arrived and they all sat in a line on the top of the bushes and stared at me in total silence. It was the silence that was eery as they are usually chattering away amongst themselves and hopping about on the bushes waiting to get onto the table. After I had put the bowl down a couple of the adult birds came and had a look and then flew off. left teh bowl for an hour or so and then gave in and put out their usual breakfast. You have never heard some a clamouring and jabbering

I thought Sparrows love live mealworms and will feed them to their chicks ??
Maybe your sparrows have enjoyed your bounty for so long that they have forgotten what live food looks like??
etudiant is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 21st June 2012, 19:30   #7
HartleyHare
Registered User
 
HartleyHare's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: isle of anglesey
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Maybe your sparrows have enjoyed your bounty for so long that they have forgotten what live food looks like??
My hubby says they are totally spoilt - he got all upset because I bought them some cheese scones and he thought they were for him Seriously though, they eat the dried mealworms so why don't they like the fresh ones ? And they eat the flies that conveniently expire on the windowsill.
HartleyHare is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 22nd June 2012, 00:00   #8
etudiant
Registered User
BF Supporter 2020

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 4,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by HartleyHare View Post
My hubby says they are totally spoilt - he got all upset because I bought them some cheese scones and he thought they were for him Seriously though, they eat the dried mealworms so why don't they like the fresh ones ? And they eat the flies that conveniently expire on the windowsill.
Food that fights back!
A new and frightening development. More at 11.
etudiant is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 22nd June 2012, 07:10   #9
stonechat1
Forum Member

 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 0
When the meal worms are starting their pupation (thats when they are getting the soft white skin) then sure no bird can resist ;-)
http://www.zimpernik.at/mehlwurm.jpg
stonechat1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 22nd June 2012, 10:04   #10
roger1234
Registered User
 
roger1234's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: barnsley
Posts: 1,086
my house sparrows love live mealworms,keep putting them out and they will take them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	032.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	391411  Click image for larger version

Name:	035.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	391412  
roger1234 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 27th June 2012, 09:28   #11
HartleyHare
Registered User
 
HartleyHare's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: isle of anglesey
Posts: 115
The meal worms are turning into beetles They have been kept in fridge in a plastic tub and only taken out one a day. I found 2 beetles in the tub this morning. What shall I do ? There are still quite a lot of worms left and I don't want a fridge full of beetles. Will the birds eat the beeltes ?

Oh, I love your photos Roger1234!

Last edited by HartleyHare : Wednesday 27th June 2012 at 09:31.
HartleyHare is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 27th June 2012, 09:40   #12
Nigel Davies
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Norfolk England
Posts: 463
Hi Hartleyhare,

I'm surprised your birds do not like live meal worms, mine love them and if you go to RSPB Titchwell a Robin who well mug you for them on the carpark.

Nigel
Nigel Davies is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 27th June 2012, 15:41   #13
etudiant
Registered User
BF Supporter 2020

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 4,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by HartleyHare View Post
The meal worms are turning into beetles They have been kept in fridge in a plastic tub and only taken out one a day. I found 2 beetles in the tub this morning. What shall I do ? There are still quite a lot of worms left and I don't want a fridge full of beetles. Will the birds eat the beeltes ?

Oh, I love your photos Roger1234!
You can pick out the ones getting ready to emerge as adults, just select the pupae that are starting to get dark.
Alternatively, you can start your own colony in a plastic bucket, some damp newspapers with oat bran rations will keep them coming, harvest as necessary.
etudiant is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 27th June 2012, 20:46   #14
Romafree
Registered User
 
Romafree's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: S Wales
Posts: 95
Eek....only just seen your post!! How brave you are! I got squeamish the first time I bought DRIED mealworms as they moved as I opened the tub!!
Now, beetles in da fridge....oh, no way!!
Think many of our birds are spoilt. I hung up new feeders, cleaned birdtable, put all fresh food there and provided the usual sparkling water and they all disappeared for hours and still don't seem happy.....the dogs are getting quiite jealous!!
Romafree is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More for our native birds to live with Val & Rex Birds & Birding 1 Tuesday 16th August 2011 08:16
Can i still get birds where i live? wildlifelove Garden Birds, Bird Feeding & Nestboxes 11 Tuesday 15th March 2011 08:30
Will birds and bees live together? Twelve Garden Birds, Bird Feeding & Nestboxes 2 Thursday 12th June 2008 10:30
How long do birds live for? bristolbirder Birds & Birding 20 Saturday 2nd September 2006 02:28
Feeding birds live mealworms and waxworms YellowBudgie Food and Feeders 8 Monday 15th May 2006 20:58

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.21545005 seconds with 27 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:17.