• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

peanuts or sunflowers seeds (1 Viewer)

peanuts or sunflower seeds

• peanuts

Votes: 88 14.9%
  • sunflower seeds

Votes: 502 85.2%

• Total voters
Charles Harper said:
. Sunflowers seeds sell like hotcakes, though..
I´m with Charles on this. Although I have recently put out peanuts -seem to be doing ok - but it is the sunflower seeds that get ´em going.

Peanuts are a waste of time and money in my garden (I've tried them). But sunflower hearts go down almost as quick as my bank account.

Sunflowers are more popular in my garden than peanuts.

My try putting the peanuts in a food mixer and making peanut nips and placing on my table.

Don't want the peanuts to go to waste.

Lozza

lozza_9 said:
Sunflowers are more popular in my garden than peanuts.

My try putting the peanuts in a food mixer and making peanut nips and placing on my table.

Don't want the peanuts to go to waste.

Lozza

You could make suet "treats" (either blocks or balls) with chopped peanuts and other things mixed in - I add porridge oats, sunflower hearts, raisins and chopped peanuts to melted suet in the ratio of 1½:1. I make two suet blocks using 250g suet and 375g of the other ingedients. The bluetits get through one of these in 2 to 3 days - with a bit of help from sparrows, robins and great tits.

We feed Peanuts and Sunflower Hearts all year. One small wire-mesh feeder for Peanuts, and one (increased to two in winter) plastic feeder for Sunflower Hearts.

Roger

Pretty equal here too. We have three large peanut feeders, and have to refill every two or three days - blue, coal, long tailed and great tits on them all the time, along with greenfinches, greater spotted woodpeckers and nuthatches amongst others. Mixed seed flies out of the dispenser, mainly because the nuthatches throw more out than they eat. Chaffinches seem to prefer feeding on the ground.

The robins here prefer fat balls (mainly because we haven't brought out the main table yet this year, I think), and the blackbirds sometimes hang on to those dispensers too, pecking at the fat balls.

black oil sunflower seeds and sunflower chips here on the west coast. 60+ species yr round.

also nyjer, millet, different types of suet and H2o

Last edited:
Bluetail said:
Peanuts are a waste of time and money in my garden (I've tried them). But sunflower hearts go down almost as quick as my bank account.

YES !!! my monthly feeding bills went from 10$ a month to 100$ a month, now that the migrants have arrived in force.

Ditto to many of the posts above - have four sunflower feeders and ALL are empty by late afternoon, totalling over a kg a day. Also have about ten peanut feeder and they keep the birds going the rest of the day.

In short both nuts and sunflowers very popular, but problem with sunflowers is they disappear too quickly and leave nought to eat later in the day ...plu cost twice as much!

I feed peanuts in a metal, mesh feeder and the woodpeckers, chickadees and nuthatches go for them. They can't carry away the whole nut but can peck at them through the mesh very much as they do with suet. Other species also go for the peanuts but not to the same extent.
I've really cut back on the variety of feed this year. Now I'm feeding BOS, cracked corn, niger and suet. I haven't been able to get peanuts yet this year but they should be at the store today. The store people have promised to put a bag aside for me.
I discontinued feeding GS Sunflower seeds, Safflower (really only a favourite with Cardinals which are uncommon here), millet, both red and white, and a mixed feed. I might go back to the mix but but a very high quality one without filler. It's expensive but seemed popular.

Peanuts go first as I have lots of Blue Jays, chipmunks, and squirrels. They love the sunflower seeds too, but they come in second.

The Blue Jays have actually begun tapping at the door and peeking in bedroom windows looking for the first morning fill up.

nick scarle said:
Loose peanuts disappear just as quickly as sunflower hearts but the nuts in the mesh feeder are completely ignored - dunno why.
In my garden that would be because rodents are taking them!

I have four peanut feeders, 2 sunflower hearts feeders and 3 mixed seed feeders plus 2 niger feeders. On the table I have just mixed seed and on the ground I have a no grow mixture. put all these along with fat balls and fat feasts and tipbits my gardens always full of birds. The foods eaten at a pretty even rate
Phil

Sunflower hearts in 2 feeders refilled almost daily. Peanut feeder refilled once every few weeks unless out of sunflower. Fatballs eaten rapidly during winter but still lasting a few weeks at this time of year.
Tom

Black Oil Sunflower

In all the feeders, even for the squirrels. The sunflower seed brings the house finches, house sparrows, 2 kinds of chickadees, nuthatches, band-tailed pigeons and a kinglet or two. Suet for the flickers and woodpeckers (and chickadees and nuthatches...) When the robins and Varied Thrushes finish off the berries on the Mountain Ash trees, they will get fruit. I save the peanuts for the Stellar Jays, my favorite handsome guys.

Sunflower seeds are the favourites of the Sulphur Crested, the Rainbow Lorikeet, the Crimson Rosella and any stray sparrow, Dove or Bronzewing.
I have never heard of giving peanuts, I give them to my husband when he has a beer.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back