• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magpies in Dundee (1 Viewer)

Hi guys, this is my 1st post on the forums.....hopefully not my last.

The only Magpies I've seen in the Dundee area were a pair that appeared to be nesting last year (2014) in the grounds of Monifieth caravan park across from the play park at the beach.

Now, I realise this post is titled Magpies in DUNDEE, but just up the road in Angus this year I've spotted a pair in Arbroath (around Springfield park), a pair in Forfar (at the Forfar loch) and one bird in Montrose around the Glaxo works.

I do hope they continue to spread up our way, one of my favourite birds.

cheers.

Yeah, they're great, aren't they greenlichtie. My favourite colour scheme in birds is black and white.

A warm welcome from me too.

I have seen 2 single magpies at new locations in the last week,one was at the hawkhill area the other a high flying bird in invergowrie,this bird flew towards the riverside nature park

Co-incidentally, I saw two Magpies this morning within about 5 minutes of each other. One was eating a discarded apple at Gussie Park car park, and the other was flying over Forfar Road just up from the Kingsway (seen them there before - probably the pair that frequents Mains Loan/Terrace wasteground and possibly as far over as Swannie Ponds). Certainly on the increase around the city.

Have seen Magpies at Hawkhill before, near Al-Maktoum Institute, and in the trees at Invergowrie Bay, behind the railway station. Monifieth around Barry Buddon entrance used to be about the only place 'in' Dundee for the species (although it is technically outside Dundee, just like Invergowrie, it is part of the 'greater Dundee expansion these days with only the width of a road separating the Perthshire/Dundee city/Angus areas from each other, so I'm counting it as Dundee). The Forfar Loch birds have also been around up there for over 10 years - saw them there on my first visit 11 years ago tomorrow and on most visits since.

Not sure what the reason is/was but you pretty much had to get to the south of Fife, west of Perth, or around Aberdeen to see Magpies until about 4 or 5 years ago (with the exception of a handful of birds at a few locations - Barry Buddon, Guardbridge, Forfar Loch). No idea why they have suddenly started to colonise the area, rather than a gradual population shift, but it is interesting to see it happening 'in real time'.

Back to the subject of Magpies in Dundee I found another pair on Tuesday at the top of the Hilltown, just off Byron Street/Bruce Street. Heard one in the trees on Dens Road, near Dens Park too. Not quite everywhere just yet, but definitely increasing noticeably.

I first spotted one last year in the park across from st pius primary , now they seem to have been kicked out by the pair of crows , and are now roosting in the churchyard around the corner , I love the noise they make at early o clock in morning B :) I remember about 7 years ago seeing a field full of them on the Isle of Wight , different from our normal scheme birds I suppose 😀

Hi Boardindundee and welcome to Birdforum.

It's strange how patchily they are distributed, isn't it. I was in Norfolk for a week in May and don't remember seeing any.

Apart from hearing them when I lived in London in late 90,s the sight of a field full /a good 20/30 all strutting about when I was down at Isle of Wight for the festival was amazing , so glad they are in the urban area , all I need is to spot the illusive kingfisher I keep hearing about down the dighty water ��. Thanks for the welcome delia

LOL You'll see one when you're not expecting it!! And you'll likely hear it first.

What part of London? I left there in the 70's; grew up in the Greenford area, then moved to Hampstead (it was cheaper then LOL).

Had a family of 4 out my backies last week near Tannadice Park, where I've also seen them on the floodlights in the mornings recently. Looks like they are here to stay. They seemed to be taking delight in annoying the Collared Doves and Carrion Crows and being chased.

Not seen so many oystercatchers in the park also , I dunno if it's linked , they have chased off the doves in the churchyard , where the magpies sit now ,was where the doves sat all year round . Lots of cats in area , let's hope they scare them off also ��

the boc yard in douglas holds some of the earliest sightings I have heard of,i haven't heard of any recent sightings though,i saw a single bird mingling with some feral pigeons on the bridge that overlooks riverside nature park /invergowrie bay yesterday at 6.30 pm,the pigeons were actually approaching it

Attachments

• mgpie.jpg
    mgpie.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 89
Magpies are now a regular sighting at Dundee Airport and I saw one Balgay Cemetery on Sunday morning (27/09) and another later in the day sitting on one of the lighting poles in Tesco Riverside. I also noted a pair with well grown youngsters in Balgay Park earlier in the year mobbing one of the resident Buzzards.
Slowly but surely they seem to becoming established in the Dundee environs.

Ian Ford

Hi Ed,
Just seen your post.
Yes Magpies are colonising Dundee rather quickly after years of the odd one. Pairs moved in from Monifieth and now I see them in various parts of town.
They bred at Riverside Nature Park, probably not good news for nestlings, this year with four chicks 😞
Did you know there is a forum at Riverside Nature Park, Dundee?

I am chair of the Friends of RNP and will be posting details of events etc on the forum. I'm also going to add details of Facebook, Flickr and other info shortly.
Please share the info with others and do come along.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back