Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Advise Needed - Scandinavian Birdwatching

Old Sunday 3rd August 2014, 16:05   #1
sittaneu

Advise Needed - Scandinavian Birdwatching

Hello,
I'm going on a two weeks trip to Denmark and Norway. I know it's a really short time but I hope to see some interesting birds..!
So it goes like this -
2-6 Denmark
7-11 Norway
12-16 Denmark again.

I'm gonna be at Copenhagen (DE) and Tromso (NOR). My questions are:

*what kind of birds am i about to see at this time of year? I'm from Israel and I'm used to see in Sep' all the migrating birds coming from Europe!!

*where are the best places for bird watching according to the areas i'm gonna be in (can't go too far, short time as I've mentioned)?

*By foot or car? In Denmark I won't have car, but in tromso I'm gonna rent..

*I would love to go to ringing stations. Here in Israel I have a ringing license. Is it possible to ring abroad? Who can I contact to know more?

thanks a lot!

Michaela

Last edited by sittaneu : Sunday 3rd August 2014 at 16:25.
Old Sunday 3rd August 2014, 17:15   #2
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Michaela, Welcome to Birdforum!

Take a look at these links: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Denmark
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=279072
http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Falsterbo

The last link is about a location in Sweden, but getting there would constitute a 1 hour train ride (Copenhagen-Malmø) and another hour in a bus. There is a bird watching/ringing station in Falsterbo with some dorm type beds (I never actually stayed there, I had a tent). B&B type accommodation is also available there. Falsterbo is the SW corner of Sweden, and on a good day is a migration hotspot par excellence.

There is as far as I know also some ringing on Amager (SE outskirts of Copenhagen). The nature area there is great for wetland birds.

If you stay around Copenhagen, there are lots of forest areas, several of which can be reached by public transportation. If there is a day with strong north-westerly winds, get yourself to Gilleleje for some sea watch (to some extent also possible by Kronborg, Helsingør (that is also known as Hamlet's castle from the Shakespeare stories).

Niels

Recently moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 4th August 2014, 11:16   #3
pratincol

We went to Tromso on a cruise.
There was nothing of note on land but the sail out through the Kvalsundet channel was excellent.
It was a narrow channel, north of Tromso, opening up to the sea with lots of small islands as I recall.
If you can get to the area mentioned by boat or otherwise it may be worth the effort.
There is a road to the island of Ringvassøya and islands further north.If the bird life we saw in the channel was anything to go by I would definitely recommend a trip by car to these islands.[The Norway Michelen map is worth buying]
We didn't spend a lot of time birdwatching on land as we were only there for a day.
There are plenty of green areas around and hopefully in September some migrants passing through.

The area between Tromso and the sea were full of birds as we sailed towards the Kvalsundet Channel a Long-tailed Skua was seen. There were Lots of Puffins, Guillemots, Little Auks, Cormorants, Arctic Terns, Greater Black-backed Gulls, Herring Gulls, Kittiwakes, Grey Herons, Oystercatchers, and Eider.

Last edited by pratincol : Monday 4th August 2014 at 13:19.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: