• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spreadsheet for the whole world? (1 Viewer)

Maffong

Hello folks,
is there a list out there covering the whole world and then going into detail step by step?
I'm thinking of something like an excel file with filters: First you have a list of all accepted species (e.g. Clements or IOC), in the following columns is listed if the species occurs in certain regions like the WP, neotropics, australasia etc. and finally come the countries and island groups. I know all those lists exist seperately, e.g. in Avibase, but has anybody ever made the effort to compile them into one file? I guess, if you know how to do so (I don't), this is not a very difficult task to do, or is it?
I think it would be great, for example to find out which countries one should visit next or to follow up on projects such as the global big years that are currently done.

Sincerely
Maffong

I'm thinking of something like an excel file with filters: First you have a list of all accepted species (e.g. Clements or IOC), in the following columns is listed if the species occurs in certain regions like the WP, neotropics, australasia etc. and finally come the countries and island groups.

Not exactly what you want, but the original lists of Clements and IOC have a column with the range info.

I think it would be great, for example to find out which countries one should visit next

I've been playing with the Scythebill software recently. There is a button somewhere that produces a worldmap showing the number of your potential lifers for all countries...

I also recommend you get a copy of Scythebill and delve into that. You can generate lists for all countries and further subdivisions for many countries (e.g. USA down to county, Australia by state). This feature seems to be added to regularly.

I've been playing with the Scythebill software recently. There is a button somewhere that produces a worldmap showing the number of your potential lifers for all countries...

I just looked through it but couldn't find that feature.
Also I think I would prefer an Excel list (maybe creatable through Scythebill though?), as far as I see you can only browse through observations you have already made, rather than those you've not made. Or maybe I'm still not familiar enough with Scythebill.
Nevertheless is there really no excel spreadsheet like this?

Cheers
Maffong

In Scythebill go File-Map of world lifers ...

To get a spreadsheet checklist from Scythebill use Browse by Location then select the location then Save as spreadsheet.

Looks like I was wrong re counties in the USA though. They are all there but don't have checklists (yet).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back