Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Objective Filter placement ATS/ATX

Old Friday 17th January 2020, 15:04   #1
pdsrms

Objective Filter placement ATS/ATX

On the Swarovski spotting scopes where does the filter thread on?
The lens hood or the obj. housing? If on the lens hood does flare become an issue?
Old Friday 17th January 2020, 23:15   #2
OhWeh

ATX 95: in the lens hood. Good luck to find a M 97 x 0,75 Filter!

OhWeh
Old Sunday 19th January 2020, 14:39   #3
forent

Actually, the ATX scopes possess a filter thread *on the front end* of the lens hood. Hence, it is pretty useless for a protective filter as the filter would be not shaded against sunlight (and other elements) and would be too far away from the front lens. Both could lead to reflections and double Images and therefore compromise image quality.

The people at Swarovski told me that they are convinced that there is no need for any filter on their scopes - the thread is designated for the lens cap solely. This is a minor grief I have with my ATX: I would be much happier if Swarovski would provide a filter thread directly in front of the lens and leave the decision to apply a filter or not to the user - just like e.g. Nikon.
Old Monday 20th January 2020, 23:09   #4
OhWeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by forent View Post
This is a minor grief I have with my ATX: I would be much happier if Swarovski would provide a filter thread directly in front of the lens and leave the decision to apply a filter or not to the user - just like e.g. Nikon.
I fully agree. Zeiss also has the filter thread directly in front of the lens. Here I could mount two aluminum lens hoods, which are the perfect protection against dirt etc. AND are very helpful if your bird etc., is near to the sun.

Here the ATX falls off significantly compared to the Harpia in direct comparison. (We possess both, so I can tell).

OhWeh
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: