• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone in San Diego? (1 Viewer)

ptickner

I will be in San Diego in 2 weeks (2/24-26) and am looking for some local advice. I have a fairly short list of target birds and would like some local advice to maximize my birding time. In general, I am thinking of the Tijuana River, but maybe a run out to Jacumba if needed.

Some of the birds I'm looking for are: California Quail, Oak Titmouse, Lawrence's Goldfinch, Ridgway's Rail, and Tricolored Blackbird. There are a couple others, but these are my main targets. Thanks!

Paul

Try these sites: California Quail at Torrey Pines North Extension (trail from the end of Del Mar Scenic Pkwy) - also California Gnatcatcher here. Tricolored Blackbird at Lake Murray. Oak Titmouse common in the hills - Cuyamarca Rancho SP is a nice site. Ridgway's Rail at Tijuana River. Lawrence's Goldfinch can be anywhere but hard to find as they move around a lot.
Good luck!

Joost

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I'm still poring over eBird reports and rare bird alerts, but I think I've got my itinerary mostly worked out. It's going to be a lot of miles and birding crammed into a short time frame! It looks like I may hit most of my birds, with the possible exception of Lawrence's Goldfinch, which I think will be a question of good fortune rather than planning.

Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back