• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 10x40B T P dating (1 Viewer)

galazie1

Hi all

I have a pair of Zeiss 10x40B T P like in the photos

The serial number on one end of the hinge is 430390

Can some one help to date this one?

Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-12-01-17-57-56-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-12-01-17-57-56-55.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_2019-12-01-17-57-49-41.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-12-01-17-57-49-41.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_2019-12-01-17-59-19-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-12-01-17-59-19-55.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 122
Hi Galazie,

Phase coating was a Zeiss development and was introduced in 1988 - hence the P marking
Your Classic 10x40 B was discontinued with the introduction of the original Victory (pre-FL) x40 line in 2000
So sometime between 1988 and 2000

Others have detailed knowledge of Zeiss numbering and will be able to narrow it down further

John

Even without knowing the serial number dating yours has to be an early example of a P coated Dialyt since it's marked "Made in West Germany". Official reunification was completed on Oct.3, 1990. I doubt that any "West German" Dialyts were made after that.

Zeiss Logos and Dating Binoculars

The Company Seven site has a page that outlines the Zeiss company history at: http://www.company7.com/zeiss/history.html
(and both the page and the following diagram have been referred to in previous BF posts)

The page provides some basic information about logos and more usefully also a ‘Christmas Tree’ diagram of the logos used:
- the top 5 markings were used until the end of WWII (the first binoculars were introduced in 1894 and used the logo in script, second from the top)

- the left hand side then shows logos used by Zeiss East Germany (as Carl Zeiss Jena etc.)

- the right side shows those used by Zeiss West Germany (as Carl Zeiss etc.), and

- the bottom 4 logos date from the reunification of the company in 1991, following on from the reunification of German in 1990

n.b. not all of the logos were used on binoculars e.g. several were only on photographic products

Zeiss has also recently posted information about their logos at: https://www.zeiss.com/corporate/int/about-zeiss/history/the-zeiss-logo.html
The logos date from 1906 on (so not the earliest logo used on binoculars)

The page lists in chronological order some of the logos along with dating information, and expands on the use of the logos in the post-WWII era
I’ve downloaded the page in 3 sections: from 1906; from post-WWII; more recent

As Henry indicates, based on the P marking and the logo that predates the change following reunification, Galazie’s model should be between 1988 and 1991

John

Attachments

• from Company 7.jpg
    from Company 7.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 1906 on.jpg
    1906 on.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 76
  • post-WWII.jpg
    post-WWII.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Recent - including 3 shades of blue.jpg
    Recent - including 3 shades of blue.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Zeiss Logos and Dating Binoculars

The Company Seven site has a page that outlines the Zeiss company history at: http://www.company7.com/zeiss/history.html
(and both the page and the following diagram have been referred to in previous BF posts)

The page provides some basic information about logos and more usefully also a ‘Christmas Tree’ diagram of the logos used:
- the top 5 markings were used until the end of WWII (the first binoculars were introduced in 1894 and used the logo in script, second from the top)

- the left hand side then shows logos used by Zeiss East Germany (as Carl Zeiss Jena etc.)

- the right side shows those used by Zeiss West Germany (as Carl Zeiss etc.), and

- the bottom 4 logos date from the reunification of the company in 1991, following on from the reunification of German in 1990

n.b. not all of the logos were used on binoculars e.g. several were only on photographic products

Zeiss has also recently posted information about their logos at: https://www.zeiss.com/corporate/int/about-zeiss/history/the-zeiss-logo.html
The logos date from 1906 on (so not the earliest logo used on binoculars)

The page lists in chronological order some of the logos along with dating information, and expands on the use of the logos in the post-WWII era
I’ve downloaded the page in 3 sections: from 1906; from post-WWII; more recent

As Henry indicates, based on the P marking and the logo that predates the change following reunification, Galazie’s model should be between 1988 and 1991

John

Hello All

This may be of interest to the group.

My 1994 (?) Zeiss 7 x 45 B T*P* Design Selection Night Owl Serial Number 2007xxx in "Black Forest" colouring has the 1993/94 Logo coloured in Black and is marked "Made in Germany".

The box is white with black printing.

Just thought that this might interest the group.

Cheers.

My serial :608709, I bought it in1998, it marked "Made in West Germany" with T*P*, which year it was produced?

Hi,

As I was employed by Zeiss for a number of years and still work as their authorised UK repairer I have access to their database showing this information.

Gary

Hi,

As I was employed by Zeiss for a number of years and still work as their authorised UK repairer I have access to their database showing this information.

Gary
Hi Gary, how readily available are parts on the Zeiss 10x40B T*P? I do have an opportunity to buy one on an online auction. Serial # looks like 433685. It shows some wear but I am ok with it. I prefer buying a good brand second hand above a new cheap brand and do realize that I take a risk with something such as a binocular. The seller indicates it as in a good working condition save for the rubber portion on the small lenses hence my question about parts. Thank you, Mike

Hi Gary, how readily available are parts on the Zeiss 10x40B T*P? I do have an opportunity to buy one on an online auction. Serial # looks like 433685. It shows some wear but I am ok with it. I prefer buying a good brand second hand above a new cheap brand and do realize that I take a risk with something such as a binocular. The seller indicates it as in a good working condition save for the rubber portion on the small lenses hence my question about parts. Thank you, Mike
Hi,

There is no problem with parts for these - they are all available.

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back