Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nyjer seed

Old Tuesday 7th January 2020, 11:33   #1
Cyclops
1 eyed tree hugging nature nut!

Nyjer seed feeder

I just put some in a feeder I have, first time I've put feeders in this garden apart from a fat ball feeder, and the first time I've bought Nyjer seed. It is seriously small. Anyway I was unsure where to site it. Its a small, square garden, all lawn bounded by a wooden fence. There's a wooden shed intersecting a part of the square on the right, at the front (compost bin behind the shed) The fat ball feeder is hanging on a side of the shed, but for the seed feeder I attached a screw to one of the fence panels and hung it there. Its not quite free hanging, though it can swing side to side and the fence isnt like a solid wall, there are gaps in the panels. I'm just not sure the birds will see it, but my options are limited. I would put a pole in the middle of the garden but that space is occupied by the clothes dryer.
Hopefully I'll get some birds in. I don't have a great deal of hope as there no mature trees nearby (in the middle of a new housing estate) and most of the gardens are fairly barren due to the strict housing association rules (no trees or shrubs allowed)
I also have a peanut feeder to put out, once I get some nuts.
Fingers crossed (I did see a Wren this morning on the water butt)

I ain't no twitcher, I just like birds
Old Tuesday 7th January 2020, 11:48   #2
Cyclops

To show you what I'm up against

https://i89.servimg.com/u/f89/19/20/01/38/img_2014.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f89/19/20/01/38/img_2015.jpg
Ah we can't insert images into posts...

Last edited by Cyclops : Tuesday 7th January 2020 at 11:53.
Old Tuesday 7th January 2020, 13:18   #3
andyadcock

Hmm,
unless we have some really bad weather, I genuinely think you'll struggle to get birds here but I hope you do.

There has been a previous thread regarding the spelling of this particular seed, they are 'Niger' seeds, named after the country Niger in West Africa but some snowflakes have decided that this particular spelling is to similar to another word which is a racial slur, have they changed the name of the country too...... a clue, the answer is not yes.
Old Tuesday 7th January 2020, 13:51   #4
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Hmm,
unless we have some really bad weather, I genuinely think you'll struggle to get birds here but I hope you do.

There has been a previous thread regarding the spelling of this particular seed, they are 'Niger' seeds, named after the country Niger in West Africa but some snowflakes have decided that this particular spelling is to similar to another word which is a racial slur, have they changed the name of the country too...... a clue, the answer is not yes.
Well I'm just going by the name that's on the bag!

Old Tuesday 7th January 2020, 14:22   #5
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Well I'm just going by the name that's on the bag!
I'm not having a go at you personally, just the World which has gone mad.....
Old Saturday 11th January 2020, 17:38   #6
Robert Wallace

I would be inclined to check what greenery is allowed. what do they mean by shrubs? They seem to be swimming against the tide regarding encouraging birds. Gardening for wildlife is now trendy get some RSBP or Wildlife Trust literature to support your cause. Even supermarket car parks have small shrubs. Would anyone notice a small shrub?
Old Sunday 12th January 2020, 14:00   #7
Kits
Social Media Editor
BF Supporter 2020

I think the feeders are too close to the shed and fence. Would it be possible to get a couple of brackets such as the sort used for hanging baskets, and attach them to the shed/fence and then hang feeders from the brackets? I agree with Robert and check what kind of plants are allowed and make a fuss about providing for wild life and how it improves people's well being as well as being good for nature.

"Sail away from safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 12th January 2020, 14:33   #8
interoception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits View Post
I think the feeders are too close to the shed and fence. Would it be possible to get a couple of brackets such as the sort used for hanging baskets, and attach them to the shed/fence and then hang feeders from the brackets? I agree with Robert and check what kind of plants are allowed and make a fuss about providing for wild life and how it improves people's well being as well as being good for nature.
Yes - I agree -- super easy for a mouse/rat to enjoy the free meal. That's what I was up against with my rapidly emptying niger feeder.

Some shrubbery/grenery wouldn't go amiss.

You could plant some ivy that seems to be popular with the birds, esp if you don't have the space or permission to grow trees!

Also -- I've found that the most popular seeds by far are the sunflower hearts -- which all the birds eat -- so you may have more success starting with sunflowers.
Old Monday 13th January 2020, 09:03   #9
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by interoception View Post
Yes - I agree -- super easy for a mouse/rat to enjoy the free meal. That's what I was up against with my rapidly emptying niger feeder.

Some shrubbery/grenery wouldn't go amiss.

You could plant some ivy that seems to be popular with the birds, esp if you don't have the space or permission to grow trees!

Also -- I've found that the most popular seeds by far are the sunflower hearts -- which all the birds eat -- so you may have more success starting with sunflowers.
Regular sweeping of spillage will prevent that.

Have you considered an arrangement of large, potted shrubs? Even if it only offers a bit of cover, it could encourage birds to feed.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: