Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Low cost alternatives to black rapid straps

Old Thursday 25th April 2019, 10:40   #1
Sbiriguda

Low cost alternatives to black rapid straps

Hello,
I have to buy a strap, and I am thinking of Black Rapid Sport
Honestly it's a bit expensive provided I am just an occasional photographer...
I was also suggested to take a look to Lowepro (which is very likely to be not that cheap either) but until now I found only straps with the camera bag, not without bag like the Black Rapid
Anyway I am also considering some low cost alternatives like these ones:
https://www.amazon.it/Coolway®-Profe...-1-spons&psc=1
https://www.amazon.it/Tracolla-Withl...na%2Caps%2C156
Would they be any use or are they just crap?
Thanks
Old Thursday 25th April 2019, 11:40   #2
stevo

Get a Joby sling strap.
Old Thursday 25th April 2019, 12:00   #3
Sbiriguda

Thanks, that sounds nice, but I think the Nikon D3100 + Sigma contemporary 150-600 mm are too heavy for that one. Too bad because that sounds very good and right now is discounted on Amazon Italy
Old Friday 26th April 2019, 18:49   #4
john118

I have a Black Rapid and its awesome, is it sort of expensive? Yes.
But why would you cheap out on something that is going to hold your DSLR and lens over your shoulder?
Surely a Black rapid strap is cheaper than a broken lens and camera.
Old Saturday 27th April 2019, 01:37   #5
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow

I just looked on my Black Rapid Sport and I can't see a country of manufacture anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if some alternatives come from the exact same factories. With the Black Rapid you are paying for the Warranty, some Patent Pending features, perhaps superior materials? and construction? perhaps not? and a lot of marketing and acronyms.

I've had mine for about 5 years now (little use last 2) and it has performed well with about ~2.7kg (~6lb) hanging from it. There is a small amount of wear on load bearing contact of the carabiner causing a reduction (~1mm) in thickness. I will have to get a back up safety tether for it. I think the screw in connector could have been better designed.

I always check the tightness of the connector and the wear on the carabiner at the start and end of each session. It probably doesn't help that you have to use the carabiner to sinch up the last bit of tightness on the connector.

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 27th April 2019, 08:03   #6
marcsantacurz

Joby and Op/Tech have sling straps, but they are like the Black Rapids Curve -- they do not have the under-the-arm strap. That under-the-arm strap is what makes the BR Sport so great for heavier lenses. It keeps the sling from creeping up on your neck and causing strain or pain.

You'll be carrying about 3kg around all day. It is really worth it to save your neck with the BR Sport. If you're young and don't get perturbed by weights around your neck, then maybe one of the cheaper sling straps will be ok.

Another option is to get what's called a "backpack camera strap." If you will be wearing a good backpack (like a technical hiking pack), you can get these and hang the camera from the backpack strap. It will bounce around a bit, but I usually also use a bungee cord to hold it in place when doing more concerted walking. Some need D rings and some have rectangular clips that latch around the existing strap. some attach to the L+R straps, some only to one or another. You will likely need to buy a 1/4-20 connector with rubber washer (very important to help prevent it coming loose) to attach to the lens (e.g. BlackRapid FR-5 FastenR), but without the BR Sports swivel joint, it might tend to unscrew even with the rubber washer.

Some examples: Think Tank Photo Camera Support Straps V2.0 (Black), BlackRapid Backpack Breathe Camera Strap, Sun-Sniper Rotaball Backpack Strap with Rotaball Connector.
Old Saturday 27th April 2019, 17:00   #7
seaspirit

I use one of these (link below) for over 7 years without issues. Like the mounting plate better than the knob-style used by BRapid for bulky gear. I routinely carry a D800 with grip and mounted 70-200 2.8, also used it with a 50 - 500 zoom in the past. Nice add-on would be a "under the arm strap" to keep the shoulder pad from sliding off the shoulder when using it .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quick-Rapid...sAAOSwCK1b87yj
Old Saturday 27th April 2019, 18:54   #8
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
I just looked on my Black Rapid Sport and I can't see a country of manufacture anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if some alternatives come from the exact same factories. With the Black Rapid you are paying for the Warranty, some Patent Pending features, perhaps superior materials? and construction? perhaps not? and a lot of marketing and acronyms.

I've had mine for about 5 years now (little use last 2) and it has performed well with about ~2.7kg (~6lb) hanging from it. There is a small amount of wear on load bearing contact of the carabiner causing a reduction (~1mm) in thickness. I will have to get a back up safety tether for it. I think the screw in connector could have been better designed.

I always check the tightness of the connector and the wear on the carabiner at the start and end of each session. It probably doesn't help that you have to use the carabiner to sinch up the last bit of tightness on the connector.

Chosun
I have had two Black Rapids break on me. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Luckily I have quick reactions. My cheapo copy has lasted far longer and had a safety attachment. Sorry I can't remember the brand and it doesn't say on it. Look at the choices on Amazon.

@SteveBabbs
Old Tuesday 30th April 2019, 21:24   #9
Sbiriguda

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsantacurz View Post
Joby and Op/Tech have sling straps, but they are like the Black Rapids Curve -- they do not have the under-the-arm strap. That under-the-arm strap is what makes the BR Sport so great for heavier lenses. It keeps the sling from creeping up on your neck and causing strain or pain.
I think both low cost Black Strap clones at the links have an under-the-arm strap. Perhaps they might do the job...
Old Sunday 6th October 2019, 20:34   #10
Intercooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Babbs View Post
I have had two Black Rapids break on me. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Luckily I have quick reactions. My cheapo copy has lasted far longer and had a safety attachment. Sorry I can't remember the brand and it doesn't say on it. Look at the choices on Amazon.
Any pictures of your broken BR's?
Old Friday 11th October 2019, 08:21   #11
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
What exactly failed ? which part broke ? , if you were concerned why did you not use a simple fail-safe tether costing a few pounds ?

I have been using a BR strap for many years with no problems whatsoever - carried really big weights (up to 500/4 + Camera and converter = around 5KG) hundreds of times, I still have my 8 year old strap but did update to the latest one last year to get the extra under arm strap feature which stops the set-up moving around.

Last edited by Roy C : Friday 11th October 2019 at 08:25.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 4th December 2019, 18:52   #12
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

[quote=Roy C;3905574]What exactly failed ? which part broke ? , if you were concerned why did you not use a simple fail-safe tether costing a few pounds ?

/QUOTE]

For the fairly obvious reason that they had such a good reputation so I wasn't concerned. When the first one broke, it was replaced and I was told the bit which screws into the camera - which was the bit that broke - had been improved but yes I did then add something to stop the camera from falling if it happened again which it did.

@SteveBabbs

Last edited by Steve Babbs : Wednesday 4th December 2019 at 18:54.
Old Wednesday 4th December 2019, 19:26   #13
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

[quote=Steve Babbs;3929401]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
What exactly failed ? which part broke ? , if you were concerned why did you not use a simple fail-safe tether costing a few pounds ?

/QUOTE]

For the fairly obvious reason that they had such a good reputation so I wasn't concerned. When the first one broke, it was replaced and I was told the bit which screws into the camera - which was the bit that broke - had been improved but yes I did then add something to stop the camera from falling if it happened again which it did.
I was only interested because I have had one for 8 years (carried really heavy weights like Camera + 500/4 + converter + tripod clamp many hundreds of times and miles) and never had a single problem. Mind you I always used a tether just in case and also always checked that the screw was tightened before use - to this end wetting the rubber washer on the screw allows it to tighten that bit more especially if you tightened with the Steele clip.
I have now replaced my original one with a newer version that has the anti slip shoulder strap but the old one is still in perfect working order.
I was hoping that you would explain a bit more as to exactly what part of the screw-in part broke. Seems best that you go with a cheapo then

Last edited by Roy C : Wednesday 4th December 2019 at 19:28.

Old Friday 13th December 2019, 17:14   #14
Apodidae49

[quote=Steve Babbs;3929401]
Quote:

/QUOTE]

Seems to me that “broke” means a part snapped and caused a failure. The screw fitting into the camera unscrewing itself doesn’t sound like anything broke (if that’s what happened)

Why don’t you just say WHAT actually happened, WHICH part “broke” and HOW it broke to give the rest of us BR owners an idea of what occurred?
Old Sunday 15th December 2019, 12:21   #15
Apodidae49

[quote=Apodidae49;3934250]
Quote:

Seems to me that “broke” means a part snapped and caused a failure. The screw fitting into the camera unscrewing itself doesn’t sound like anything broke (if that’s what happened)

Why don’t you just say WHAT actually happened, WHICH part “broke” and HOW it broke to give the rest of us BR owners an idea of what occurred?
...or not, as the case may be!
Old Sunday 15th December 2019, 12:25   #16
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

[quote=Apodidae49;3934250]
Quote:

That's what I was trying to find out but it looks like he is unwilling to tell up for some reason!

Old Sunday 15th December 2019, 18:53   #17
Apodidae49

[quote=Roy C;3934921]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apodidae49 View Post
That's what I was trying to find out but it looks like he is unwilling to tell up for some reason!
I’ll be using my Black Rapid with my Nikon 200-500 with confidence but I will be rigging up some form of safety tether as insurance.
Old Monday 16th December 2019, 10:00   #18
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

[quote=Apodidae49;3935069]
Quote:

I’ll be using my Black Rapid with my Nikon 200-500 with confidence but I will be rigging up some form of safety tether as insurance.
Yes this is the one I use but in seven years I have never needed it. I connect it to the Camera lug and the BR strap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tether.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	712606  

Old Monday 16th December 2019, 13:56   #19
stevo

This is what I use https://www.outdoorphotogear.com/acr...te-3-75-black/ a d ring then connects to square metal tab.Then the strap to that.
Old Monday 16th December 2019, 15:52   #20
Apodidae49

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo View Post
This is what I use https://www.outdoorphotogear.com/acr...te-3-75-black/ a d ring then connects to square metal tab.Then the strap to that.
Don’t think I’ll be using anything Arca Swiss. Could you post a photo of your actual setup on the camera as I can’t visualise how you’ve set it up?
Old Monday 16th December 2019, 21:25   #21
etudiant
BF Supporter 2020

[quote=Roy C;3934921]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apodidae49 View Post
There had been an earlier discussion about BR strap part failure, but not sure it was on BF. The weak point there iirc was the metal part that attaches the strap to the nut that screws into the camera tripod fitting. Apparently the metal was worn through enough to fail.
Irrespective of that detail, it seems tempting fate to rely on any system with a single point of failure. Safety is much improved if the strap is a loop with at least two fittings from which the optics hang. The OpTech sling straps are one inexpensive example such a design.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 16th December 2019, 23:14   #22
Apodidae49

What is going on with the quoting on this thread? People’s quoted messages are being attributed to the wrong posters?

As for the metal carabiner wearing through, I am confident that my level of use won’t get to that point and I shall generally have a hand on the lens tripod foot when moving around. BUT I shall be fashioning a viable safety strap as a sensible precaution.
Old Tuesday 17th December 2019, 12:33   #23
stevo

Like this except the plate is connected to the lens tripod foot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgoMZeEwCvI
Old Tuesday 17th December 2019, 20:16   #24
Apodidae49

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo View Post
Like this except the plate is connected to the lens tripod foot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgoMZeEwCvI
Thanks, Stevo but that seems to be all I’m doing with my Black Rapid, clipping onto the lug screwed into the tripod mount of the long lens? Black Rapid possibly more secure as it’s a single piece rather than the hinged arrangement of yours. Not really considered needing the lens to mount on a tripod as I intend to mostly hand hold or use a bean bag to rest on where appropriate.

Looks a nice piece of kit for more lightweight setups though.
Old Tuesday 14th January 2020, 10:24   #25
Apodidae49

So we still don’t know what happened in Black Rapidgate x 2? Very helpful!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: