• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor id please? Bangalore, India (1 Viewer)

rsriram9

Saw this smallish raptor in a distant tree silhouetted against the setting sun by a lake in Bangalore, sorry don't have better pictures. Thanks!

Attachments

• Which raptor?.jpg
    Which raptor?.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Which raptor2.jpg
    Which raptor2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 71
Looks like a falcon, but I wouldn't be willing to elaborate further than that!

Are you able to edit the image (contrast/lighting) at all?

Thanks very much, have attached another image where I have played with exposure etc. A juvenile Shaheen Falcon?

Looks like a falcon, but I wouldn't be willing to elaborate further than that!

Are you able to edit the image (contrast/lighting) at all?

Attachments

• Shaheen Falcon?.jpg
    Shaheen Falcon?.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 43
Apologies - when I attach the edited image it seems to revert to original status on Bird Forum - don't know why. Will try again here:

Thanks very much, have attached another image where I have played with exposure etc. A juvenile Shaheen Falcon?

Attachments

• DSC_5535.jpeg
    DSC_5535.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 29
Wow, Nutcracker - I couldn't get it to look like that. The underparts still looked orange, even with the settings almost on max.

Ho are you racially ID'ing that Andy?

When I looked at the adjusted image on my screen, the underparts looked quite orange, so I said Shaheen straight away. It should be peregrinator here, I think. Calidus apparently reaches Sri Lanka but that's a pale form. Maybe I should have said Peregrine Falcon to avoid confusion.

When I looked at the adjusted image on my screen, the underparts looked quite orange, so I said Shaheen straight away. It should be peregrinator here, I think. Calidus apparently reaches Sri Lanka but that's a pale form. Maybe I should have said Peregrine Falcon to avoid confusion.

I've only ever seen one 'Shaheen', in Burma, attached.

Attachments

• Peregrine, peregrinator, Mt Poppa, Myanmar.jpg
    Peregrine, peregrinator, Mt Poppa, Myanmar.jpg
    598 KB · Views: 73
Shaheen in Myanmar is a pretty good find, right? At least here in Bangladesh they're considered pretty rare...

Not really sure Seth tbh?

Range on Wiki ..........

'The Shaheen is found in South Asia from Pakistan across to India and Bangladesh in the east and to Sri Lanka, central and south-eastern China and northern Myanmar, India'

It was in Mandalay so I guess that's North, we were actually at a Temple and I was looking down at this bird from the temple walls.

Last edited:
Looking at range maps now, looks like it's actually not too unexpected. Apparently there is just a slight gap in their range over Bangladesh... (at least according to Rasmussen and Anderton's Birds of South Asia: the Ripley Guide)

And going back I noticed that I reported a Shaheen from my apartment in Dhaka! Trying to figure out if it is legit, photos are unfortunately miserable, but do any of you all have thoughts on it? Seems to be fine for Shaheen to me, but definitely fairly unexpected if it can even be proven...
To me at least it shows a reddish belly which should make it Shaheen I think.

Attachments

• P1050865 (3).jpg
    P1050865 (3).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 52
Looking at range maps now, looks like it's actually not too unexpected. Apparently there is just a slight gap in their range over Bangladesh... (at least according to Rasmussen and Anderton's Birds of South Asia: the Ripley Guide)
Lack of natural cliff nesting sites, if they haven't started using buildings yet there? So if you do get them appearing now, they'd likely be urban.

Eurasian Hobby

This seems to an Eurasian Hobby. One has been sighted and photographed in another lake in Bangalore (Hoskote Lake) not far from the Jakkur Lake I spotted this.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back