• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vega Gull?, Choshi, Japan (1 Viewer)

Terry Townshend

Regular vagrant
Hello..

I saw this rather striking gull at Choshi, Japan last week. The most common large white-headed gull in the area is Vega Gull (Larus vegae) but I guess other species (eg American Herring) are possible.

Does anyone know if this is within the variation of Vega? I can't seem to find any similar images anywhere. The primary pattern looks ok for this species but the bill is quite pale with hardly any red on the gonys.

My assumption is that it is a heavily streaked Vega but I thought I'd post the images to see what others thought.. In any case a very smart individual!

Thanks..

Terry

Attachments

• 2011-01-27 LWHG hooded.jpg
    2011-01-27 LWHG hooded.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 2011-01-27 LWHG hooded1.jpg
    2011-01-27 LWHG hooded1.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 100
I can't help with the ID, but out of curiosity, is Vega a subspecies of the Herring Gull, or is it a seperate species?

I don't think the AOU has recognized it as a full species yet. If so, I missed the bulletin...

We are a little behind the euro's when it comes to gull taxonomy, IMO.

Terry,

Certainly an interesting bird. Much more streaking than is normal for winter Vega. The bill shape also has a certain "longness" to it resembling Pallas's. It must be a Vega however, as I don't know what else it could be.

Tom

Yes, I think it may be considered a subspecies of American Herring or Herring Gull by some. I can see why!

Collinson et al 2008 advise of a strong case for Vega Gull being treated as separate from American Herring Gull (several DNA techniques and morphology), based on Sangster et al 2007, the corollary being that Herring Gull was much more distantly related. The interesting aspect that comes out of this is the relationships that an increasing number of North American species have been found to have with eastern Palearctic species as far west as about 120°E, for example some large grey shrike and some swallow taxa. The conclusion I draw from background reading is that this circumstance probably reflects the geographic details of successive glaciations and the pattern of usable niches that developed, some separating populations, others letting long-separated populations meet again.
MJB

Collinson, JM, DT Parkin, AG Knox, G Sangster and L Svensson. 2008. Species boundaries in the Herring and Lesser Black-backed Gull complex. Brit. Birds 101(7): 340-363.
Sangster, G, JM Collinson, AG Knox, DT Parkin and L Svensson, 2007. Taxonomic recommendations for British Birds – fourth report. Ibis 149: 853-857.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back