• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonfly ID (1 Viewer)

138mph

United Kingdom
Taken 5 Sep 2004 Grimston Warren Norfolk UK.
This one has me puzzled, I assume its an over mature female Darter, but its the blue underside that has me puzzled.

Attachments

• 54I05C0355.jpg
    54I05C0355.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 132
138mph said:
Taken 5 Sep 2004 Grimston Warren Norfolk UK.
This one has me puzzled, I assume its an over mature female Darter, but its the blue underside that has me puzzled.

Hello speed limit breaker,
It looks to me to be an overmature female Common Darter, S. striolatum
I tried enlarging the tail end to see if I could get a better view of the vulvar scale but there weren't enough pixels to get a clear picture. The yellow side panels on the thorax is probably the best clue as to species, I cannot see blue on the underside but grey is present. It's more a best guess than a positive ID.

Harry

harry eales said:
Hello speed limit breaker,
It looks to me to be an overmature female Common Darter, S. striolatum
I tried enlarging the tail end to see if I could get a better view of the vulvar scale but there weren't enough pixels to get a clear picture. The yellow side panels on the thorax is probably the best clue as to species, I cannot see blue on the underside but grey is present. It's more a best guess than a positive ID.

Harry
Thanks Harry.
Yes I had decided that that was what it was, I had just never seen one that was so clearly blue underneath (at least not close up) and wanted to be sure.
Hugh

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back