• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2015 (1 Viewer)

I saw a large predator in my woods today but I only got a few short glimpses and I was not able to get a photo.

In my area we have Red Fox, Fishers and Coyotes. This animal had a dog-like shape so I suspect that it was not a fisher. I believe that it was likely more the size of a coyote than a fox but I am not certain of that given my distance from it.

But the coloring was odd from what I saw. It was dark, almost black in some places but rather mottled color fur including splotches of dark brown or black but also areas of medium and lighter brown in no particular pattern but in splotches. The overall effect was mangy but also very dark in color and not lighter the color I'd expect for either a red fox or a coyote. It was darker on top than below and the head was very dark color.

Thoughts?

I hope to see it again. It was way up close to my yard in my upper woods but then went down the hill into the deep and difficult woods that leads into a swam before rising again into a pine grove.

I followed it for some time, seeing occasional glimpses but I eventually lost track of it and gave up.

In the 18 years I have lived in this home, which abuts a couple hundred acres of conservation forest, I have seen red fox about 6 times. Coyote once (though I hear them in the woods at night very frequently) and I have only seen one dead fisher.

Last edited:
I saw a large predator in my woods today but I only got a few short glimpses and I was not able to get a photo.

In my area we have Red Fox, Fishers and Coyotes. This animal had a dog-like shape so I suspect that it was not a fisher. I believe that it was likely more the size of a coyote than a fox but I am not certain of that given my distance from it.

But the coloring was odd from what I saw. It was dark, almost black in some places but rather mottled color fur including splotches of dark brown or black but also areas of medium and lighter brown in no particular pattern but in splotches. The overall effect was mangy but also very dark in color and not lighter the color I'd expect for either a red fox or a coyote. It was darker on top than below and the head was very dark color.

Thoughts?

I hope to see it again. It was way up close to my yard in my upper woods but then went down the hill into the deep and difficult woods that leads into a swam before rising again into a pine grove.

I followed it for some time, seeing occasional glimpses but I eventually lost track of it and gave up.

In the 18 years I have lived in this home, which abuts a couple hundred acres of conservation forest, I have seen red fox about 6 times. Coyote once (though I hear them in the woods at night very frequently) and I have only seen one dead fisher.

Feral dog?

John

Time almost halfway through the year for me to make a belated entry into this year's mammals thread. The reason for my late arrival is that per the official rules of mammal listing laid down either here or mammalwatching some time ago I can now tick human having seen one in its new, undomesticated state (ie we've just had our first child). Nothing much to report locally (unsurprisingly) - house mouse, brown rat, Guernsey vole and pippistrelle all regular. Shrews (and surprisingly rabbits) taking a bit more work.

Recently we took a trip to the new forest and then over to somerset:
Fallow deer easily near Brockenhurst, plenty of roe about and my first british polecat: dead on the motorway headed to Bristol. We dipped out on lesser horseshoe bat in cheddar (just couldn't give it enough time with the baby in the cold) but just as I'd finished explaining to my Mrs that water vole would be a nice bonus at Slimbridge she pointed one out bolting into the undergrowth (add to that the pointblank cranes and a probable red-rumped swallow and I was pretty happy with the day).

Stopped in at Arne on the way back and got Sikka predictably but an avalanche of about 150 beavers yelling their heads off (great idea for how to ruin the reserve for everyone else that day, scout leaders) rather put paid to any hopes we may have of picking up basking reptiles around the paths.

Went down to the Forest of Dean today. Had one encounter with Wild Boar close to the road. Once we parked up & re-found them there were 5 sows with 8+ piglets. Can't be sure how many piglets as they were in quite thick vegetation, but did see them suckling briefly. Also saw a Bank Vole earlier in the day.
Supporting cast while out included point blank views of Hawfinches (including a fledgling), Golden-ringed Dragonflies, Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries & Wood Whites.
Yet again the FoD come up trumps!

Cheers, Simon

Time almost halfway through the year for me to make a belated entry into this year's mammals thread. The reason for my late arrival is that per the official rules of mammal listing laid down either here or mammalwatching some time ago I can now tick human having seen one in its new, undomesticated state (ie we've just had our first child).

Congratulations dear boy. Statement about "first" noted - don't get carried away.... ;)

You might want to investigate your pipistrelles, with Common and Soprano split, Nathusius's turning up in more and more places and possibly a couple more Continental options, there could be a tick or two in it for you.

Cheers

John

Had a brief walk around Strumpshaw Fen today, and saw a Stoat and Water Shrew. Rubbish pictures attached. Apparently Stoats are being seen frequently there, and there has been a Weasel around the visitors centre. Phil

Attachments

• Water Shrewemail.JPG
    Water Shrewemail.JPG
    512.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Stoatemail.JPG
    Stoatemail.JPG
    428 KB · Views: 43
Took me years to get a photo of a Water Shrew that good!

Clutches head at mustelid news - I suppose the RSPB Strumpshaw recent sightings don't mention mammals? Thought not. RSPB recent sightings - more like a damn military censor!

JOhn

Live Mole

I have a live mole which anyone is welcome to come and see from midday today until release at 7pm tonight.

I live just south of Cambridge, ring me for more details 07788722560

Mark

I have a live mole which anyone is welcome to come and see from midday today until release at 7pm tonight.

I live just south of Cambridge, ring me for more details 07788722560

Mark

Thanks for getting the news out quickly allowing people to get there & see it.

Cheers, Simon

Also thanks from me, a poor non-digital shot from the early 90s has now been superseded!

After visiting Mark, Clare and I went to Fowlmere, which was pretty dead. However, we did find a Hairy Dragonfly hung up and, as we were leaving, two Brown Hares right next to the entrance track - and I mean within ten yards of it. Photos later. We didn't flush them so they may still be about if anyone's passing that way.

John

Many thanks to Mark for the opportunity of prolonged close up views of Mole. It was fabulous. The added bonus of two Hawkmoth ticks including Privet was much appreciated too.

Clare

Another big thanks to Mark for his quick mega mammal alert. Yesterday was particularly hectic at work and I would have easily missed the news without a text. I've waited a very long time to see a Mole!

Quick pix from yesterday.

John

Mole
Hairy Dragonfly
Brown Hare

Attachments

• 20150620 (6)_Mole (800x533).jpg
    20150620 (6)_Mole (800x533).jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 20150620 (10)_Hairy_Dragonfly (800x533).jpg
    20150620 (10)_Hairy_Dragonfly (800x533).jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20150620 (14)_Brown_Hare (533x800).jpg
    20150620 (14)_Brown_Hare (533x800).jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 49
Marvellous mole. Gripped. Been 10 years since I've seen one. Craving another, so thanks Mark for the message. Was on daycare duties and daughter refused...
James

Been twenty since my last (only) sighting! I think if Ben had have refused he would have been kidnapped (in so far as it's possible to kidnap your own 4 yr old son...)

Thanks Mark, great to reacquaint myself with such a shy species (and the hawkmoths were a bonus too). It joins mink, badger and wild boar on my 2015 mammal highlights so far.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back