• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oh No, Not Another Binocular Advice Plea! (1 Viewer)

Hello all. I’m hoping to get some binocular advice/opinions.

I am looking to buy a pair of binoculars either in 8x42 or 10x42…I’m leaning toward 10x42 just for a little more reach. I will be mostly looking at birds and I especially love looking at raptors.

My current binoculars are Brunton Lite-Tech 8x42 that I got at a deep discount (I paid $29.99 shipped in 2009!) I am novice at best, but I have been using binoculars for most of my life dating back about 40 years. To my eyes, though the Brunton build quality leaves a bit to be desired, the glass is sharp out almost to the edge. I focused on some blades of grass poking up high about 60 feet away (~18m) and they still appeared sharp as I moved toward the edge. Perhaps there is a better way to test edge sharpness?

My budget is maybe $450 USD. Possibly a bit more if I am at a critical mid point in prices. I went to a nearby store and took a peak through the following (all in 10x42): Nikon Monarch 5 ED, Zeiss Terra, Carson JR Series (they did not have the 3D line), a Bushnell Legend HD, and a Vortex Diamondback.

The Carson was not a fair comparison price-wise and they felt cheap. The Bushnell was a turn-off likely due to my feeling that they are junk (unfounded?) The Vortex felt cheap and I could not get it to focus perfectly even after adjusting the diopter. The Zeiss and the Nikon both felt and looked very nice. Both looked clear and bright (in the store.)

They didn’t have everything I wanted to try. I am curious about the Nikon Monarch 7 with its larger FOV. I’m also curious about the Carson 3D ED, Meopta MeoPro, the Hawke Frontier, and the Vanguard ED II. While I’m curious about these brands, I also wonder how long they will be around to service the binoculars should they need warranty support. I know Nikon will be there as well as Zeiss and I was very impressed with the Monarch 5 in the store.

One thing that bothers me is all of these are made in China. I’m not trying to ruffle any feathers here. I know many items are made in China, and I know they can do an excellent job. I just have this vision of all of these different binoculars coming out of the same factory with slightly different externals. I know that’s not the case, but in some cases maybe it is (I know it can be in the bicycle industry.)

It is my understanding that Meopta is US made with European glass. I’ve heard build quality is great but glass is not always up to par. There is nobody locally that sells these.

Just one last comment. My dream binoculars when I was younger was the Zeiss Dialyt 10x40. I know they can be had used for close to my price range. Is that something I should consider? I suspect coatings have come a long way since then, and possibly glass (I’m not sure when ED glass became available.) I know in their final years of production they had phase-corrected prisms…marked T*P*, but many fetch $700-ish prices.

This is not a need by the way, just a want. If you say I should wait and save double my budget then I just might.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• 81hGvVlE+eL._SL1500_.jpg
    81hGvVlE+eL._SL1500_.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Ok, thanks for the recommendations. I should've mentioned, I don't really want a porro. I just wish I could try the Vanguard before I buy.

It's hard to believe the Vanguard Endeavor IV (a brand name I hadn't heard of before maybe a year ago,) is better than the Zeiss Terra or the Nikon Monarch 7. Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

FieldSurveyor, post 1,
If you are not in a hurry I would save a little more and go for a Meopta or look with the money you have now for a good quality used binocular. For 500 US dollars one must be able to find a pretty good used binocular. Moreover, the hunt for a good used one is a pleasure in itself, at least for me.
Gijs van Ginkel

FieldSurveyor, post 1,
If you are not in a hurry I would save a little more and go for a Meopta or look with the money you have now for a good quality used binocular. For 500 US dollars one must be able to find a pretty good used binocular. Moreover, the hunt for a good used one is a pleasure in itself, at least for me.
Gijs van Ginkel

Also good advice

Ok, thanks for the recommendations. I should've mentioned, I don't really want a porro. I just wish I could try the Vanguard before I buy.

It's hard to believe the Vanguard Endeavor IV (a brand name I hadn't heard of before maybe a year ago,) is better than the Zeiss Terra or the Nikon Monarch 7. Any thoughts?

Thanks again.
I have compared all three and I have no doubt that the Vanguard II and especially the Vanguard IV are better than the Nikon Monarch 7 and the Zeiss Terra. If you don't trust me check Allbinos. The Vanguard ED II is ranked above the Nikon Monarch 7 and Zeiss Terra in 8x42's and in 10x42's the Vanguard II is ranked above the Nikon MHG which is way more expensive and a better binocular than the Nikon Monarch M7 and above the Zeiss HT which is way more expensive and a much better binocular than the Zeiss Terra and we are talking the Vanguard II not the Vanguard !V. The Vanguard IV is quite a bit better than the Vanguard II. I have had them both. The Vanguard IV also has better build quality than either the M7 or Terra. Can you afford another $250.00? Here is one of the best alpha 10x32's made the Nikon EDG for $750.00. That is a real deal.

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-8x42.html
https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html
https://astromart.com/classifieds/astromart-classifieds/binoculars/show/nikon-10x32-edg-ii

Last edited:
I have compared all three and I have no doubt that the Vanguard II and especially the Vanguard IV are better than the Nikon Monarch 7 and the Zeiss Terra. If you don't trust me check Allbinos. The Vanguard ED II is ranked above the Nikon Monarch 7 and Zeiss Terra in 8x42's and in 10x42's the Vanguard II is ranked above the Nikon MHG which is way more expensive and a better binocular than the Nikon Monarch M7 and above the Zeiss HT which is way more expensive and a much better binocular than the Zeiss Terra and we are talking the Vanguard II not the Vanguard !V. The Vanguard IV is quite a bit better than the Vanguard II. I have had them both. The Vanguard IV also has better build quality than either the M7 or Terra. Run the numbers.

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-8x42.html
https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

Thanks for the replies.

Are you saying the Endeavor IV is better than the $2000+ Zeiss Victory HT? If so that is remarkable given the $1500+ price difference. Is it a commonly held belief on these forums that Vanguard Endeavor is the best you can buy under $2500?

I have read the reviews on AllBinos.com, which I don't think has a review of the IV yet. I guess I could buy it having never held one and return it if I was unhappy with it (unlikely.)

Thanks again.

Hi,

a Zeiss 10x40 BGATP is nothing to be scoffed at. If you find one inside your budget, take it. But make sure that it has that P for phase coated - at 10x you definitely want that.

As for old Nikon porros - you might be surprised. An SE 10x40 is still a very good pair of bins and optically up there with the current alphas - I bought mine used for $500 but that's been some years ago. The E2 10x35 is a bit more mundane but a very nice glass that will give a better view than most other pairs in the $500 league. Of course those porros are not really waterproof - just like the Dialyt btw.

Joachim

I am not saying the Vanguard IV is better than the HT. I am just saying Allbino's has the Vanguard HD II ranked above the HT. The Vanguard is 7th and the HT is 10th. That is how good the Vanguard is optically. The Vanguard is better than the HT in astigmatism, distortion, edge sharpness and internal reflections. Allbino's really scored the HT low in internal reflections. Of course the HT is one of the highest transmission binoculars made so it is going to be brighter than the Vanguard HD II. I have had the Vanguard HD II and the IV and the IV is better than the II. If you can compare yourself that is best.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I do love searching for older deals and will likely continue that hobby. For right now I will take your advice. I just purchased the Vanguard Endeavor IV in 10x42 for $484. Vanguard is offering a $50 mail-in rebate right now that includes a PH-1 harness, so that brings the price to $434+tax with free shipping. The bonus was that I had a $100 Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket, so I'm only out $334. They will be here Monday.

Please don't think I'm quite so impulsive. I've been looking to buy a new set of binoculars for over two years now.

Last edited:
There are going to be a LOT of binoculars better than the one you have well within your price range. A lot of good choices too....

I'm not especially concerned about how a binocular rates here or there. I guess I used to be more concerned with this. Now, not so much. I've compared many side by side over weeks/months/years at a time. ALSO there are a few folks on BF that have done the same that are level headed and have owned several binoculars from several different makes...models....magnifications...etc. I pay attention....

For around $300 I don't see how you can beat the Vanguard ED II made in China and all. I don't know of too many that have been dissatisfied with this model over the years. It's been out probably 3-4 years or so....I've had one about that long. I personally think Vanguard will be around a while. They sell a lot of varied items.

If you want to buy a binocular from one of the big boys then probably the Monarch 7 is the way to go in your price range. It's a very decent binocular and has a good track record. Optics aren't what the ED II's are BUT more FOV, smaller, and lighter in weight. Optics aren't everything to everybody.

The Meopta Meopro HD is a nice solid binocular in this price range....$400 or so. I'm not sure it's a WHOLE lot better than the above two but it's a good option. It's a little better made than the two above IMO but not sure how much that really matters since those are fine.

Why not try one of the sub $500 binoculars and SEE if you need a more expensive binocular? Chances are you won't

Attachments

• DSC_0511.JPG
    DSC_0511.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC00070_1.JPG
    DSC00070_1.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1279.jpg
    IMG_1279.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 48
  • fullsizeoutput_1061.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1061.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 52
Thanks all. I do love searching for older deals and will likely continue that hobby. For right now I will take your advice. I just purchased the Vanguard Endeavor IV in 10x42 for $484. Vanguard is offering a $50 mail-in rebate right now that includes a PH-1 harness, so that brings the price to $434+tax with free shipping. The bonus was that I had a $100 Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket, so I'm only out $334. They will be here Monday.

Please don't think I'm quite so impulsive. I've been looking to buy a new set of binoculars for over two years now.

Good choice!

My two bits on Vanguard Endeavors...

I had the 10x42 EDIIs. Optically they were beyond reproach, IMO. Kind of amazing really, factoring in the price of course.

I'm on my second pair of 8x32 EDIIs. The first pair had mechanical issues and this replacement pair has slop in the focuser.

All three have vague diopter adjusters that I don't care for.

The 8x32s do not compare optically with the 10x42s. They're OK where the 10x42s will kinda blow your mind.

How any of them will hold up under heavy use is something I have pondered but it's not a main issue for me as they are extra bins and not my primary bins.

There are going to be a LOT of binoculars better than the one you have well within your price range. A lot of good choices too....

For around $300 I don't see how you can beat the Vanguard ED II made in China and all. I don't know of too many that have been dissatisfied with this model over the years. It's been out probably 3-4 years or so....I've had one about that long. I personally think Vanguard will be around a while. They sell a lot of varied items.

If you want to buy a binocular from one of the big boys then probably the Monarch 7 is the way to go in your price range. It's a very decent binocular and has a good track record. Optics aren't what the ED II's are BUT more FOV, smaller, and lighter in weight. Optics aren't everything to everybody.

Why not try one of the sub $500 binoculars and SEE if you need a more expensive binocular? Chances are you won't

Thanks Chuck. I got the IV's not the II's. Also, FOV is within 11 feet of the Monarch 7 (340' vs 351'.) Hopefully I will like them. Maybe I will even take them into a shop and compare side-by-side to the Monarch 7. Also, it's likely you're right about a sub-$500 pair. I just wanted to get something that won't have me lusting after a better pair (or is that not possible? |=)|)

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I will report back once I've used them for a bit.

Chuck. I tried the Meopro's once and I thought the edges were soft compared to the Vanguard's. Outside of that they were pretty nice binoculars. The Nikon M7 IMO had soft edges compared to the Vanguard also and I saw quite a bit of glare. I don't like soft edges so they didn't work for me but everybody is different. Some are willing to tolerate softer edges for a bigger FOV. I would rather have a slightly smaller FOV and sharp edges but that is personal taste.

Last edited:
Hi Field Surveyor,

Since you also asked for opinions, I will give you mine. ;)

If you are really interested in watching raptors you would probably be better off getting an 8x42 with a wide FOV like a Nikon Monarch 7 which has an 8º FOV, probably the widest in its price range. (420'@1000 yards.)

Here is Allbino's review of it. Don't worry about its #14 ranking. 8x42 is a very competitive category. Read the review.

https://www.allbinos.com/261-binoculars_review-Nikon_Monarch_7_8x42.html

It is in your price range and it is worth its price.

My experience with Nikon is that if you have registered your purchase with them and a defect shows up in them Nikon will replace the binocular. Nikon replaced my 4 year old 10x32EDG, which had a covering that was peeling loose, with a new 10x32 EDG.

Bob

Last edited:
A lot of good comments already. I'll just throw in a couple things.

Based on the original post that mentioned Nikon Monarch 5s. I had the 5s in 10x42. Very compact and lightweight. But, the Monarch 7s are a lot better for not too much more. Get the 7s instead of the 5s if you can.

The Zeiss BGATP are really excellent views, but they are big by today's standards. In my 7x42 bgat, and I assume the 10x40 works the same way, they are not internal focus: the oculars move back and forth. It's a little different compared to modern designs.

My advice is to pick a few models (Vanguard, Meopta, Nikon, etc.) and order them all and try them out yourself, then return them (hopefully keeping one!). Within a general price range there will be a lot of ergonomic differences. You might find that one model works particularly well for your hands and eyes. Or go to a retail store that has them and try them then buy one there. But if you use the Internet, don't be afraid to order a bunch and return most of them -- today, that's the reality of it.

I tried to find a US$400 or less binocular (in the 8x32 format), but ended up with the Kowa Genesis (about $1000). The Zeiss Conquest HD is very close, and there are a few tradeoff between them, but I like the Kowa better. Of the less expensive, I liked the Minox BL the best followed by the Meopta Meopro. But, I have a hard face to fit without blackout or hovering and those worked the best for me.

Marc

Hi Field Surveyor,

Since you also asked for opinions, I will give you mine. ;)

If you are really interested in watching raptors you would probably be better off getting an 8x42 with a wide FOV like a Nikon Monarch 7 which has an 8º FOV, probably the widest in its price range. (420'@1000 yards.)

Here is Allbino's review of it. Don't worry about its #14 ranking. 8x42 is a very competitive category. Read the review.

https://www.allbinos.com/261-binoculars_review-Nikon_Monarch_7_8x42.html

It is in your price range and it is worth its price.

My experience with Nikon is that if you have registered your purchase with them and a defect shows up in them Nikon will replace the binocular. Nikon replaced my 4 year old 10x32EDG, which had a covering that was peeling loose, with a new 10x32 EDG.

Bob

Hi Bob. Thanks. I was really torn between 8x42 and 10x42. I ended up going with a 10x42 partly because it's different than what I have. The 8x42 was $120 less on Amazon.

I have read some stories about Nikon's excellent customer service and warranty. Who knows, maybe I will end up going that route.

A lot of good comments already. I'll just throw in a couple things.

Based on the original post that mentioned Nikon Monarch 5s. I had the 5s in 10x42. Very compact and lightweight. But, the Monarch 7s are a lot better for not too much more. Get the 7s instead of the 5s if you can.

My advice is to pick a few models (Vanguard, Meopta, Nikon, etc.) and order them all and try them out yourself, then return them (hopefully keeping one!). Within a general price range there will be a lot of ergonomic differences. You might find that one model works particularly well for your hands and eyes. Or go to a retail store that has them and try them then buy one there. But if you use the Internet, don't be afraid to order a bunch and return most of them -- today, that's the reality of it.

Marc

If I end up with a Nikon I will go with the Monarch 7.

As for ordering a bunch, that would probably be the way to go. I just never seem to have the guts to order 4 or 5 pair out of fear I might get stuck with them! Amazon is pretty good about returns though.

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back