• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sinoe , Romania, Lark species? (1 Viewer)

Hi Steve. Is that definite please? Short-toed would be a lifer.
I thought short toed were to be seen in that part of the world, but not so much skylark

Hi Steve. Is that definite please? Short-toed would be a lifer.
I thought short toed were to be seen in that part of the world, but not so much skylark

I don't know about the distribution of either species in Romania, but I would have expected Skylark to be widely distributed in most of Europe.
Short-toed typically has its primaries almost fully cloaked by its tertials, with just a tiny projection beyond. Your bird is a very close match to the juv Skylark in Collins.

Last edited:
Last edited:
It's a juvenile Greater Short-toed Lark-note pattern of tertials/coverts, short hind claw, bill structure, buff outer tail feather etc. The tertials are short in juvenile and consequently show a long pp.

see http://blascozumeta.com/wp-content/uploads/aragon-birds/passeriformes/297.shorttoedlark-cbrachydactyla.pdf
and http://blascozumeta.com/wp-content/uploads/aragon-birds/passeriformes/302.skylark-aarvensis.pdf

Grahame

That's useful Grahame. Thanks for the links :t:

Thats lovely for me too. Thanks for the help everyone and for the links. Especially because Greater short-toed Lark is a lifer for me!

Would it also be reasonable to say the dark patch on the side of the neck is visible too ?

If you referring to the dark 'horseshoe' mark just below the eye, that is likely caused by feather separation as its tilting its head revealing darker feather bases-juveniles don't show dark neck patches.

Grahame

Thank you for that kind clarification about juveniles.
The mark on the bird that I was (likely erroneously) drawing attention to is another mark, pointed out in this image attached

Attachments

• lark sinoe.jpg
    lark sinoe.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 44
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back