• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tc-20e Iii (1 Viewer)

I'm interested in this for my 600f4 (esp. if I go for a D3S |:d|) but results seem mixed. Very important to stop down, but that of course necessitates good light or high ISO (or both :eek!:).
For uk pricing on all camera gear, inc. now TCs, it's worth keeping an eye on
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod1228.html

Dave,
It's not suitable for the 600/4. I tested today again in good light with the D2x and D3. I missed too many shots with the 2x on and any sudden movement lost the focus completely. For flight shots it wouldn't focus.
I did get this image which I was happy with ( almost full frame from 20 meters ) but he had almost stopped.
I switched back to the 1.7x which will enable flight shots in good light and is a good option for the f4 lenses.
Neil

Attachments

• greenshank D2x 2x_DSC0164.jpg
    greenshank D2x 2x_DSC0164.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 215
Doh What A Silly Sausage !!!!

A phone call from my local shop yesterday, Telling me they had my tc-20EIII
in stock for me .
I went down to pick up the lens converter all happy and excited tested in my camera , all working fine , took it home and did some sample shots on the way , and when i got home to inspect the lens and pictures a bit closer i realized they had sold me the old TC-20EII . Theve Got Me the wrong One !!!!.
How Stupid Do I Feel . By the time i got home last night the shop was shut ,so i have to ring them first thing this morning.

Buttttttttttt i thought the image quality was quite good on this Tc-20II , So i must have a particularly sharp one . Daylight Pictures where nice and bright , colours not too bad , a little lack in contrast . Exposure mainly spot on . 5.30 pm last night particullary crap and dark weather , and the teconverter was still working within reason . Pictures By this time of night where rubbish .

Anyway if this is what the old ones like , i cant wait to get my hands on the Tc-20 III .
Will Obviously Take Some sample Before And After Shots In My Back Garden Before This model goes back to compare !!!!

Will let you know how i get on

Dy the way I was using my Nikon D300 70-200mm f2.8 Vr Lens:t:

Id have thought that the fact it said TC20e-II on that shiny gold box would have been a give away, doesn't say a lot for the dealer.
I have had 2 x TC20e-II (not at the same time) and sold em both never seemed to be able to get on with it, saying that the only lens that I had moderate success with was the 70-200vr, I suspect that other BF members with the 200/2, 300/2.8 or 400/2.8 may be able to offer further advice.
I won't be getting a TC20e-III until I see proof that its worth the expense, very happy with my 1.7.
Saying that the new III should be a great match with my 400/2.8 so am watching with great interest

Post a few of the test shots so we can see those results

Last edited:
Dear All

I know that Nikon are saying that this TC will not work (ie no autofocus) with the 300mm f4 AF-S, but has anybody tested it to confirm if this is true?

Thanks

Dave

PS For an interesting set of results and discussion thereof, with 500mm lens, see the following over on Naturescapes.net:
http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=172179

I have no technical knowledge but unless I have misread or misunderstood the test conditions it is fatally flawed IMO. To even up the results he moved the subject closer to the camera the smaller the TC to create a frame filling image.
Isn't the whole point of a TC to get closer to a distant object. Without a doubt the best IQ will be achieved by simply moving closer but that isn't always possible !
Must admit though, the price tag alone has put me off buying the new 2.0xTC, never mind the uncertain results.

I was using the new 2x on some roosting waders on Friday when some stilts took off in my direction. I was happy to get this image just before they flew past the hide. Only one of three was sharp.
Neil.

Nikon D3s plus Nikon 500/4 AFS VR plus Nikon TC20E111

Hong Kong ,
China.
April 2010

Attachments

• bw stilt flight D3s 2x c_DSC6186.jpg
    bw stilt flight D3s 2x c_DSC6186.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 336
Looks impressive

Neil, I would be very happy with such images. Looks like a great combination to me.
Thanks for sharing, P.;)

I was using the new 2x on some roosting waders on Friday when some stilts took off in my direction. I was happy to get this image just before they flew past the hide. Only one of three was sharp.
Neil.

Hong Kong ,
China.
April 2010

Neil.

Hong Kong ,
China.
April 2010

Neil, whilst I have the greatest respect for the D3s how do you feel the af on the D300 would have coped with that shot, I'm still in the balance whether to go for one or not as I have the 1.7tc, would the ed glass improve the overall image quality of a 2x over the 1.7x? (mating it to a 400/2.8)

Neil, whilst I have the greatest respect for the D3s how do you feel the af on the D300 would have coped with that shot, I'm still in the balance whether to go for one or not as I have the 1.7tc, would the ed glass improve the overall image quality of a 2x over the 1.7x? (mating it to a 400/2.8)

I wouldn't try this with the D300. It doesn't work all the time , even with the D3/D3s . When birds spring in to action the AF is too slow to latch on and you miss the sequence. The 1.7x is the way to go and the 1.4x when the lighting is not as good or the action is fast.
Neil

Finally some sunshine and low pollution here in Hong Kong so I headed out to the mudflats at 6.00 am hoping to get some good use out of the 500 + TC20E 111. I was not disappointed.
Not many birds left but I was the only one out there all day which I like.
If the subject movement was slow and steady then AF not a problem.
It's nice to feel part of the action at 1000 mm but not too close to be a disturbance.
Neil
ps I was using a monopod

Nikon D3s plus Nikon 500/4 AFS and Nikon TC 20E 111 teleconverter

Hong Kong,
China.
May 2010

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/

Attachments

• common sandpiper D3s 2x orig_DSC1080.jpg
    common sandpiper D3s 2x orig_DSC1080.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 128
  • common sandpiper D3s 2x crop_DSC1080.jpg
    common sandpiper D3s 2x crop_DSC1080.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 171
  • little egret feed D3s 2x_DSC1934.jpg
    little egret feed D3s 2x_DSC1934.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 147
  • bf spoonbill juv flight D3s _DSC2195.jpg
    bf spoonbill juv flight D3s _DSC2195.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 199
  • bf spoonbills roost D3s 2x_DSC1774.jpg
    bf spoonbills roost D3s 2x_DSC1774.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 186
I wouldn't try this with the D300. It doesn't work all the time , even with the D3/D3s . When birds spring in to action the AF is too slow to latch on and you miss the sequence. The 1.7x is the way to go and the 1.4x when the lighting is not as good or the action is fast.
Neil

Should have said I would be mounting it on a 400/2.8 which should help

Thanks to Neil for pointing me to this thread - got my 300mm F2.8 AF-S but not VR and a new 2x TC version III and am very pleased - not had much practice other than hand held [I know not ideal] so far but considering the attached is hand held I can't wait to get it on the monopod or tripod! I'm after record shots in the main so a 600mm F5.6 should be very handy. Focus seems nearly as fast and as sure as without the TC attached and still pretty good in the miserable light we've had since the TC arrived yesterday.

Attachments

• Coal Tit.jpg
    Coal Tit.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 134
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back