• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon V2 (1 Viewer)

Pasquier

Larger, ugly as sin to some, but will permit full hybrid AF with the FT1 adapter and AFS lenses.... could be interesting.
Now, why of why, did Nikon have to start using yet another new battery!

Ok, so my V1 is about 6 months old. It was purchased for nature photography using the FT-1 adapter - it did'nt take long to realise that not having Continuous AF was a serious issue. Now, it looks like the V2 does have C-AF. Can we now have a firmware upgrade for the V1 ....... or am I just dreaming.

Frankly, I'm not in the mood to buy a V2.

I have an ED-82 scope 30x eyepiece, plus the fsa adaptor.
Anyone got any ieas how this could work with the v2? what the "focal length" would be, would they fit together, or need extra adaptors?
Finally, would you recommend this set up? I appreciate it is early days yet as the camera is hot off the press. I'm thinking the high crop factor would be good for digiscoping?

I would not even bother with the digiscoping hassles and just pair the V2 w/FT-1 and either the Nikon 70-300mm or the new 70-200 F4 w/TC2x as a walk-around kit.

One thing going for it is included pop up flash, but still haven't addressed the ISO issue of 1EV steps. I also see that they state focus may not be accurate with AF-S, AF-I lenses attached via FT1, would need to use program mode P for accuracy.

Not quite sure if the other focus points can be selected using DX lenses.

am on the fence about this.

See WEX photographic has dropped the price down to £399, I paid £700 a month ago so am peeved about that, would mean expecting only £200 to sell. Then paying £799 for the new one - losing nigh on £400.

Am smarting over this.

The V2 certainly appears to have better ergonomics and photographer friendly features than the V1. But along with the new higher rez comes a higher min ISO160 so I suspect the sensor noise characteristics may suffer. The kit lenses were just adequate too on the 10mp sensor so I can't see 14mp helping things along. I'd wait for reviews.

I think most of us who own a V1 are smarting as we in essence paid too much for a piece of kit which had a very short shelf life....:(

I think most of us who own a V1 are smarting as we in essence paid too much for a piece of kit which had a very short shelf life....:(

Yes, but that's the price we pay for being early adopters. The whole 1 Series was a bit of a gamble, but if nothing else, the V2 is a statement that a certain amount of development effort is still being diverted to the 1 Series, which is a good thing for a V1 owner. I know... Cold comfort.

If the AFC mode works on the V2/FT1 combo, if it can output a 'clean feed' video over HDMI, and if some other things are fixed, I might be tempted.

Jim

The V2 certainly appears to have better ergonomics and photographer friendly features than the V1. But along with the new higher rez comes a higher min ISO160 so I suspect the sensor noise characteristics may suffer. The kit lenses were just adequate too on the 10mp sensor so I can't see 14mp helping things along. I'd wait for reviews.

I agree with RJM here. at least Nikon did the smart thing and got a grip (pun intended). I too am worried by the higher MP count. Expect noisier images, perhaps 2/3 stops more noise. That said, the V1 was great in low light. Out of camera JPEGs with default noise reduction at ISO3200 were clean enough to impress my friend who owns a D4!

From the Nikon website:
translated from German via Google translate

Bayonet adapter FT1: About the bayonet adapter FT1 can NIKKOR lenses for SLR cameras to easily attach the 1-mount your Nikon 1 camera. If you use AF-S or AF-I NIKKOR lenses is available even the advanced hybrid AF system of the Nikon 1 ⁴ available.

Thanks for that Pasquier, I had already looked at the hands on reviews, and the various other web sites which have a large following for the V1/V2, and the general view is that it will not do AF-C with FT1 and F series Nikkor afs/af1 lenses, hence my question.
Lets hope you are correct, only time will tell.
Since AF-C was major concern with the V1, if the V2 will do it, then you might have thought Nikon would be shouting it from the rooftops.

PS - I have sent an e-mail to Nikon asking for a simple YES it will or NO it won't, if I get an answer will let you know.

Last edited:
Update, from Nikon in response to my question, the Nikon 1-V2, does not AF-C with the FT1 adapter and a F series AF1/AFS nikkor lens. It will only do AF-S or Manual focus.

I have an ED-82 scope 30x eyepiece, plus the fsa adaptor.
Anyone got any ieas how this could work with the v2? what the "focal length" would be, would they fit together, or need extra adaptors?
Finally, would you recommend this set up? I appreciate it is early days yet as the camera is hot off the press. I'm thinking the high crop factor would be good for digiscoping?

My friend are using these combo. Check his result at http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.101470443227197.893.100000927251883&type=3

So what advantage would the Hybrid AF system give us - does this mean selecting any focus point ?

I had hoped it would permit selecting focus points other then the central one, and would allow for continuous focus tracking (AF-C), rather than the single servo mode (AF-S) - this would have permitted better chances at photographing moving subjects.

I had hoped it would permit selecting focus points other then the central one, and would allow for continuous focus tracking (AF-C), rather than the single servo mode (AF-S) - this would have permitted better chances at photographing moving subjects.

I suspect some recent purchasers of the V1 might be breathing
a secret sigh of relief!! V3?????!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back