• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

67 miles a day for this tiny warrior (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
The following was posted by a fellow Humnetter on the Humnet Listserv and I am posting it here with Rachel's permission.

Some of you already know the news but I believe it is worthy of mentioning.
I banded a RTHU Hatch-Year Male on September 15, 2007 at Holiday Beach
Migration Observatory which is near Windsor, Ontario. On October 2, 2007 this Ruby-throated wonder was recaptured in Sweeny, Texas. This is a distance of 1141 miles or 1837 kilometers in 17 days. It is 67 miles per day or 108 kilometers per day. Charlie Brower was the hummingbird bander who is celebrating this exciting recapture at the other end. Charlie was trained by Brent Ortego.

Geez, I'm absolutely in awe of these tiny little creatures, the
obstacles each one must endure and the joy they bring to us all. We have
named him Booker Sweeny since he "booked out" of Canada in a big hurry to make that appointment with Charlie in Sweeny, Texas.

Rachel A. Powless, HBMO
Hummingbird & Passerine Bander

The following was posted by a fellow Humnetter on the Humnet Listserv and I am posting it here with Rachel's permission.

Some of you already know the news but I believe it is worthy of mentioning.
I banded a RTHU Hatch-Year Male on September 15, 2007 at Holiday Beach
Migration Observatory which is near Windsor, Ontario. On October 2, 2007 this Ruby-throated wonder was recaptured in Sweeny, Texas. This is a distance of 1141 miles or 1837 kilometers in 17 days. It is 67 miles per day or 108 kilometers per day. Charlie Brower was the hummingbird bander who is celebrating this exciting recapture at the other end. Charlie was trained by Brent Ortego.

Geez, I'm absolutely in awe of these tiny little creatures, the
obstacles each one must endure and the joy they bring to us all. We have
named him Booker Sweeny since he "booked out" of Canada in a big hurry to make that appointment with Charlie in Sweeny, Texas.

Rachel A. Powless, HBMO
Hummingbird & Passerine Bander

Hi KC

I have to admit it must take a lot of determination to do what a bird like the Rubythroat Humming Bird can do. They must have a very strong instinct to travel as far as they do. All the obstacles like the weather, going off course etc.. is part of what they have to endure too. :-O

Bless these birds, and long may they achieve all the necessary distance they have to survive, and bring us joy at the same time.

I hope that this guy will carry on as he is at the moment , and is found again, maybe by yourself who knows.

He need a 'little mile-donator' placed on him, so the miles are clocked up on a his trips ;)

'Booker Sweeny' good name for him too.

It is just a great story to hear :t:

Regards
Kathy

It has always amazed me how far these guys travel during migration. I never dreamed it could equate to 67 miles a day! Makes what they do even more amazing.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back