• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon aculon A211 (1 Viewer)

Mark S

Love Nature
Just bought Nickon aculon A211 10-22x50 binoculars off gumtree. I'm new to bird watching but love anything to do with outdoors and nature and needed binoculars that can be used for close work and distance. Has anyone else got these and what do you think, more importantly have i made the wright choice.

Just bought Nickon aculon A211 10-22x50 binoculars off gumtree. I'm new to bird watching but love anything to do with outdoors and nature and needed binoculars that can be used for close work and distance. Has anyone else got these and what do you think, more importantly have i made the wright choice.

Welcome aboard.
Not to sound discouraging but those are terrible binoculars. Zoom binoculars and particularly cheap ones are not the way to go.
Something like an 8x42 in that Nikon range would be a better starting point (although there's plenty of models and sizes worth recommending).
Now that you're on the forum check out various segments of the binoculars section. You'll get plenty of good information.
You don't need to spend big to get an excellent pair of binoculars but a bit of research can go a long way to get the best from your budget.

Unfortunately Mark, as stated above, zoom binoculars are not the best format binocular to use, let alone start off with. A fixed magnification is considered much better for many reasons.

Perhaps it is not too late to cancel your order.

Good luck.

Hi Mark,

I have two Nikon Action 10-22x50 binoculars.
These are similar to the Aculon zoom.
They are not that bad, but are not the choice for birdwatching.

Firstly, at low powers the field is small.
At high powers there is a lot of false colour.
I use them to look at Jupiter's moons at 22x despite the false colour.

Zoom binoculars don't stand up to heavy use.

If possible, change the order to the 8x42 or 10x42 Aculon.

If stuck with it, then it will give close up views, but not ideal.
Probably better for watching horse racing at 16x.

For astronomy either 10x42 or 10x50.

Regards,
B.

Thanks for the feedback, I've been looking at Nikon prostaff 7s 8x42. They are in my price range and seem to have good reviews. The Nikon aculon a211's i got those off gumtree for £50 so no real loss. I can use them for other stuff. I'm thinking of getting a monocular as well to keep in my jacket. Avalon 10x42 on amazon looks nice.
Many thanks
Mark

Mark, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find lots of wise advice around here from very generous folks, enjoy. Just don't feel overwhelmed by the amount of information you'll see at first sight!
As has been said, zoom binoculars, by their nature have many compromises that make for a less than ideal binocular. The Aculon range is a very affordable range. I've got good experience with their 7x35 model. 7x doesn't seem to be a very attractive format nowadays (people usually think "bigger is better") but it can give a very relaxed view thanks to less shake and a quite impressive depth of field (less focusing). Since you already have a high magnification binocular, a 7x could be a good idea to combine it with (and can be found for little cash). On the other hand, 8x seems to be the most popular magnification. While 8x42 is the "norm" for many, I find that 8x32 can give a lot of what 8x42 gives, but in a way lighter an smaller format (which I find very attractive as an everyday bino for walks, when 8x42 can be a tad heavy). Anyway, try as many binoculars as you can and enjoy :)

Thank's for getting in touch. looking forward to getting out and about with nature. i'll probably end up with two or three as there's so many options. On holiday to the Canaries soon can't wait to see what the islands have to offer.
Thanks
Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back