• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for new tripod (1 Viewer)

It was for sale without the head - I think they were going to let it go for £40-00 or £50-00, I can't remember exactly. I'll check out when I'm there to see if it's still available. I'd be happy to post it for you if you wanted it.

Merop said:
Hi Lief, was your Benbo faulty or representative of the quality, I am look at them for field macro work but I don't fancy it falling appart. Years ago my tripod and slr blew over in a high gust so I am very catious now.

I have not heard anyone else have problems with a Benbo. Yes mine was faulty, but whether or not it was typical or a rogue sample, I can't say. I used to carry mine over my shoulder on 10 mile hikes and on trains and it should have survived. The Uniloc I have does seem better made than the Benbo Trekker.

Although I really like the Uniloc, it is rather heavy if carried over several miles with a full camera kit (body, couple of lenses, note book, films, right angle viewer, light meter blah blah).

A light meter blah blah, eh? The cat's out of the bag now, Leif. Now we know how you get all of those amazing fungi shots!

How much did yours cost?

;-)

scampo said:
A light meter blah blah, eh? The cat's out of the bag now, Leif. Now we know how you get all of those amazing fungi shots!

How much did yours cost?

;-)

The blah blah or the light meter?

The meter is a Sekonic L208 which cost £70 and is a little gem. I needed a meter because I have a manual Nikon 28mm lens and the camera's light meter will not function when this lens is attached. Also I like to use it when the camera's meter gives odd readings.

Thanks for the flattering comments. However the 'secret' is mother nature's. Fungi really are amazing. There's been quite a few popping up over the last week or two.

Leif said:
I have not heard anyone else have problems with a Benbo. Yes mine was faulty, but whether or not it was typical or a rogue sample, I can't say. I used to carry mine over my shoulder on 10 mile hikes and on trains and it should have survived. The Uniloc I have does seem better made than the Benbo Trekker.

Although I really like the Uniloc, it is rather heavy if carried over several miles with a full camera kit (body, couple of lenses, note book, films, right angle viewer, light meter blah blah).

Benbo is a sound and innovative product. Centre column extension is bad news for rigidity on any tripod and the Benbo/Uniloc have longer column/pole than most.

Also there is a precaution unique to this design style. Because a single clamp locks the entire assembly, you must hold on to your precious gear when releasing the lock. I forgot once and my OM4 + telephoto descended rapidly in a sweeping arc, thankfully just above ground at the lowest point - it scooped soil in the lens hood. Could have been very expensive on hard ground.

Edit Post Script: This incident led to some serious thought and product search, ending with Gitzo Explorer, albeit at twice the price all told. Problem(s) solved.

Last edited:
Also there is a precaution unique to this design style. Because a single clamp locks the entire assembly, you must hold on to your precious gear when releasing the lock

Handy to know.

The Benbo Trekker mk2 weighs in at 2kgs where as the Benbo 1 is 3.4kg and Benbo 2 is 3.75kg can I assume the Trekker is not quite as sturdy, hence the provision of the hook on the column?

Merop said:
The Benbo Trekker mk2 weighs in at 2kgs where as the Benbo 1 is 3.4kg and Benbo 2 is 3.75kg can I assume the Trekker is not quite as sturdy, hence the provision of the hook on the column?

Right, the Trekker is smaller and less sturdy all round.
Score another point for Gitzo Explorer: (almost) same weight as Trekker with stiffness of the bigger Benbo, Unilock

I eventually settled on a Benbo 1 with the large ball and socket head, as I do a lot of studio macro work I thought it was more suitable. On field work it will help burn a few cals.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back