• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which car window mount? (1 Viewer)

Well I can't imagine viewing for hours on end in the same place. I like to move around, either driving or walking. When driving, the shoulderpod with my ED 50 and 16x WA lens gives me a quick loop at something beyond the reach of my binoculars. If I need a better look I get out of the car with my tripod and big scope. I might also add that the longtime birder who holds the record for the most species seen in our county prefers a window clamp. But he is 80 and has had hip replacements. That's the great thing about birding, lots of different ways to do things depending on the situation.

Also in years past when I did try using a window clamp, if someone else was in the vehicle and I was zoomed to a high power every time that person moved the image moved. I agree that when I am by myself and parked overlooking a lake and trying to sort through hundreds of waterfowl a window clamp is convenient, especially in inclement weather.

You are correct on being in one place for hours. I do that occasionally but like you I mostly move around. Cumulatively, it adds up to hours and I'm pretty sure if I did those hours standing behind a tripod it would be pretty tiring.

Out of curiousity, I have the same setup with the ED50. I too find the shoulder holster quite useful with that "light" scope. Do you find the focus knob on your ED50 somewhat heavy? Mine is new and I have to literally grab it with index finger and thumb to turn it. It really seems like more resistance than necessary. Is your's that way too?

Actually I have 2 ED 50s, an angled one I use on a very light carbon tripod with Gitzo ball head for hiking and international travel, and the straight one on a shoulder-pod for the car. With both scopes I never noticed any stiffness when turning the focus nob with my index finger reaching up and either pushing or pulling the nob. I find it takes less effort and is quicker than focussing my ATX.

For quick scope support from my car I use this leather shot filled bag. Purchased it about 50 years ago when I was doing long range rifle shooting.

Perhaps something similar is available from shooter supply stores.

I do also use a car mount if I'm scoping a lot of water birds, however, it is a pain to use

Attachments

• Bag.jpg
    Bag.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 32
After coming back to this thread, I notice that that the car you are using is huge compared to mine. My car seat holds my body firmly facing forward allowing my head to turn to the right by twisting my neck, there is no way for turning or twisting my body when in the car.

I guess it is a fundamental cultural difference in car design, many cars over here are a lot smaller than yours, many with body hugging wrap round seats and and folks trying to get into the back of mine have suffered back pain, certainly anyone feeling amorous in mine is pretty well limited to texting their passenger.

Seriously - from your responses - it does look as though vehicles from your side of the pond are generally far more useable for window mounted scopes - believe you me I have tried.

For quick scope support from my car I use this leather shot filled bag. Purchased it about 50 years ago when I was doing long range rifle shooting.

Perhaps something similar is available from shooter supply stores.

I do also use a car mount if I'm scoping a lot of water birds, however, it is a pain to use

Thanks for the picture. That is the first bean bag type thing I've seen but obviously yours is "lead shot". Similar but yours is probably better.

Why the "pain to use" with your car window mount? Please elaborate. What brand do you have? How is it a pain? I really love mine as I hope I did manage to get that point across here. I am firmly of the opinion that if you are not using a window mount, and using it often, you are missing out. You may not have read the thread but I modified the Alpen to make it "functional" by my definition. As received it had no pan function when the handle was tightened. fwiw

Actually I have 2 ED 50s, an angled one I use on a very light carbon tripod with Gitzo ball head for hiking and international travel, and the straight one on a shoulder-pod for the car. With both scopes I never noticed any stiffness when turning the focus nob with my index finger reaching up and either pushing or pulling the nob. I find it takes less effort and is quicker than focussing my ATX.

Mines kind of tight. I lubed it up which made it smoother and easier but it still takes a fairly firm effort. I'm not saying it takes huge effort. But enough to fiddle up your steady view. I'm pretty much thinking Vortex Razor 50 with fast/fine dual focus, wider FOV, brighter and better case. fwiw. Unfortunately, there's no options for fixed eyepieces with the Razor. And that's one of my favorite things about the Nikon.

I wear glasses and find my Opticron 52 with SDLv2 EP much more user friendly than my ED50 (both angled) unless I am hiking long distances in which case I carry the lighter weight Nikon.

have you considered this product from ergorest? I have found it really useful when using a vehicle as a hide/blind.

Attachments

• ergorest.jpg
    ergorest.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 76
Thanks for the picture. That is the first bean bag type thing I've seen but obviously yours is "lead shot". Similar but yours is probably better.

Why the "pain to use" with your car window mount? Please elaborate. What brand do you have? How is it a pain? I really love mine as I hope I did manage to get that point across here. I am firmly of the opinion that if you are not using a window mount, and using it often, you are missing out. You may not have read the thread but I modified the Alpen to make it "functional" by my definition. As received it had no pan function when the handle was tightened. fwiw

Manfrotto #390RC and 3292 for the window attachment.

I find it "fiddiley" in attaching the mount to the window glass and making sure the scope is horizontal with the horizon. One it is set up correctly it works well, Find it most useful in scoping out flocks of water birds. It becomes difficult however when the scope is on the window glass and one needs to also use bins in the same window.

I like the sandbag for a quick look at a possible I.D. after using bins. It is also useful on the dash looking thru the windshield.

I think iveljay has hit the nail on the head. While your Pathfinder may not seem big by US standards, it is much larger than many of the vehicles in Europe. I'll use my window mount if I'm in my truck (big), but not when I'm in my wife's car (medium). The window opening relative to the seat position is not ideal.

While you enjoy using your mount, it obviously doesn't work for all. I don't think it's worth getting "miffed" about. People bird differently.

I think iveljay has hit the nail on the head. While your Pathfinder may not seem big by US standards, it is much larger than many of the vehicles in Europe. I'll use my window mount if I'm in my truck (big), but not when I'm in my wife's car (medium). The window opening relative to the seat position is not ideal...

I've found that the design of the window opening makes a big difference for comfortable scope use. Some small vehicles are superb. Regardless of size, vehicles with windows perpendicular to the ground (as is typical on trucks and most SUVs) work better with respect to head room than those with windows that slant inwards (where roof width is smaller than width between the doors, as is common with many of today's small cars). So, for example, my 1992 Geo Metro (a small 3-cylinder car) worked very well with a scope whereas my mom's 1997 Honda Civic doesn't work well at all. My 1994 Honda Civic is not as comfortable as the Geo, but it is much better than the 1997 Civic because of its slightly different body design.

--AP

Good point AP. Our car's window slope in quite a bit, plus the seats are quite low compared to the window sill versus most SUVs that I've been in.

Vanguard PH 242. Fluid pan head. Totally rocks. And, it opens up to 1.5" so you can clamp it on a fence or something within that thickness. I love mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back