• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phonescoping with Nokia Lumia 920 (1 Viewer)

wengchun

Registered Member
Recently, bought an adapter for smartphone to be attached onto spotting scope. Here is a decent shot so far. This photo was taken with a Nokia Lumia 920 during my trip to Fraser's Hill, Malaysia. Wanted to try it with Sony Xperia Ray, Samsung Galaxy S5 and iPhone when I get the chance.

More shots are posted my phonescoping blog at http://phonescoping.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• WP_20140619_113.jpg
    WP_20140619_113.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
resized, added auto-contrast, adjusted shadow/highlight and USM

Attachments

• WP_20140619_113edit.jpg
    WP_20140619_113edit.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 205
Hi Tom,
The adapter is DA-1 Butterfly Smartphone Eyepiece adapter which I had to purchase via email directly from Taiwan since no one sell it over in Malaysia and Singapore. It took quite a while before I managed to get in touch with them. My scope is a Omicron 80ED which I had been using for many years while digiscoping with Nikon P5100 and Nikon J1. Since smartphone enable me to upload photos directly to my facebook and twitter, this adapter is very ideal. I can still use this adapter even if I change my smartphone or scope in the future and I don't have to invest in a new adapter.

Hi Tom,
The adapter is DA-1 Butterfly Smartphone Eyepiece adapter which I had to purchase via email directly from Taiwan since no one sell it over in Malaysia and Singapore. It took quite a while before I managed to get in touch with them. My scope is a Omicron 80ED which I had been using for many years while digiscoping with Nikon P5100 and Nikon J1. Since smartphone enable me to upload photos directly to my facebook and twitter, this adapter is very ideal. I can still use this adapter even if I change my smartphone or scope in the future and I don't have to invest in a new adapter.

Thanks for that.I have just acquired a Nokia Lumia 920 and am thinking of trying to phonescope through a Swarovski ATX with an 86mm front end.I have been unimpressed with my previous efforts at digiscoping,mainly because I found the technique somewhat fiddly with the equipment I had at the time.Using a Canon SX50HS was easier for record shots and produced some quite acceptable images.However your images are quite impressive.

Tom.

Thanks for that.I have just acquired a Nokia Lumia 920 and am thinking of trying to phonescope through a Swarovski ATX with an 86mm front end.I have been unimpressed with my previous efforts at digiscoping,mainly because I found the technique somewhat fiddly with the equipment I had at the time.Using a Canon SX50HS was easier for record shots and produced some quite acceptable images.However your images are quite impressive.

Tom.

The advantage of using this adapter is I can use it even if i change my smartphone and scope in the future. The first thing to do is to centralize the mount on the eyepiece and next to adjust the smartphone lens.

yes a lot of these were taken with a very cheap Redfield scope with poor coatings. A good scope like the ATX will have vastly superior clarity.

Greater Yellownape
Mountain Bulbul
Malayan Whistling Thrush

Phonescoping Nokia Lumia 920

Attachments

• GreaterYellownape02.jpg
    GreaterYellownape02.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 120
  • MountainBulbul02.jpg
    MountainBulbul02.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 145
  • MalayanLaughingthrush07.jpg
    MalayanLaughingthrush07.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 156
Nice photos that show what a modern smartphone camera can do - even though the difference compared to a good compact (like the Nikon P300/310 is pretty clear in my opinion. I got the same adapter and look forward to trying it with my S3.

Hermann

Nice photos that show what a modern smartphone camera can do - even though the difference compared to a good compact (like the Nikon P300/310 is pretty clear in my opinion. I got the same adapter and look forward to trying it with my S3.

Hermann

Hi Hermann,
Good to hear that you have the same adapter. Hope to see your results soon.
I have yet to try it out with my wife's Galaxy S5 - need to ask her permission first. :D

Hermann

Has anybody any experience of using either a cable or a remote shutter release when phonescoping with the Nokia 920? You can supposedly do this via the headphone socket on the top of the camera.I have acquired a cable release that is supposed to work but doesn't! Maybe I need an app to make this function? There also appears to be possibility of doing this remotely via Bluetooth.Any thoughts would be welcome.
Tom Lawson.

Has anybody any experience of using either a cable or a remote shutter release when phonescoping with the Nokia 920? You can supposedly do this via the headphone socket on the top of the camera.I have acquired a cable release that is supposed to work but doesn't! Maybe I need an app to make this function? There also appears to be possibility of doing this remotely via Bluetooth.Any thoughts would be welcome.
Tom Lawson.
Have you tried just tapping/touching the screen on the area you wish to focus on?. I am able to do this on the Nokia 620.

I think Tom wanted to use a remote shutter to reduce the vibration caused when touching the screen to take photos. Not sure if the remote shutter would allow half-press for focusing, if this is possible then we could fine adjust the focusing on the scope before taking the shot.

I think Tom wanted to use a remote shutter to reduce the vibration caused when touching the screen to take photos. Not sure if the remote shutter would allow half-press for focusing, if this is possible then we could fine adjust the focusing on the scope before taking the shot.

You are quite right. The idea is not to touch the phone. On a long trawl through the internet I came across a cable release inserted into the earphone socket that was supposed to activate the shutter of the Nokia Lumia 920.It was very cheap and from China so I ordered one. Needless to say it doesn't work! However I have now come across somebody in the UK who is selling a remote shutter release that supposedly works through Bluetooth. I am awaiting delivery of this gizmo with interest and will keep you posted.
Tom Lawson.

There is a slight delay between tapping the screen and the photo being taken.
However, I believe there is an app out there somewhare that lets you activate by voice.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back