Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

african crowned eagle really that powerful?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 16:05   #1
scuba0095

Question african crowned eagle really that powerful?

everywhere i read on them, they always seem to mention how much more powerful the crowned eagle is then other eagles

do you all actually agree that the crowned eagle has stronger tallons then both the monkey eating and golden eagle? It is so much smaller

my book on raptors makes it seem as though crowned eagles have supernatural power

to me goldens were impressive enough for a 10 pound bird i cant imagine something being more powerful in the sky!
Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 17:49   #2
rokermartin
Forum Member

Harpy Eagle is supposed to be the most powerful and strongest Eagle in the world.African Martial Eagle is very powerful and strong as well

Last edited by rokermartin : Tuesday 25th March 2008 at 17:52.
Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 18:13   #3
rokermartin
Forum Member

Crowned Eagle often prey on large antelopes of 10-12Kg and 18 to 20kg more than four to six times as heavy as a eagle's weight.Prey is dismembered on the ground and pieces of prey cached in trees for eating several days later.Harpy Eagle can carry heavier prey than Crowned Eagle.

Last edited by rokermartin : Tuesday 25th March 2008 at 18:19.
Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 18:55   #4
scuba0095

my book states that a martial eagle is no where near as powerful as a crowned eagle even though it is a bigger bird
Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 19:00   #5
Vipers
Brunswick Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokermartin View Post
Crowned Eagle often prey on large antelopes of 10-12Kg and 18 to 20kg more than four to six times as heavy as a eagle's weight.Prey is dismembered on the ground and pieces of prey cached in trees for eating several days later.Harpy Eagle can carry heavier prey than Crowned Eagle.
I don't know where you got your info from, but I would be very surprised if a Crowned Eagle could take anything that heavy. They take mainly monkeys, but will take Hyrax and small antelope such as Duiker.

Latest British List: Long-tailed Skua (332)
My Blog

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 19:12   #6
rokermartin
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers View Post
I don't know where you got your info from, but I would be very surprised if a Crowned Eagle could take anything that heavy. They take mainly monkeys, but will take Hyrax and small antelope such as Duiker.
The info is in the Raptors of the World Field guide i did'nt actually say that Crowned Eagles can can carry weights of 10-12 , 18 -20 kg, big prey items like antelopes are dismembered on the ground and piecies of them are taken away to the nest and cached in trees for later.
Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 19:21   #7
rokermartin
Forum Member

Martial Eagle can take prey up to 5 kg,if prey is to heavy to left is is eaten on the ground.One Martial Eagle was recorded killing a 37 kg Duiker .
Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 19:29   #8
Vipers
Brunswick Birder

And there's me thinking you had experience of these birds Martin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0095 View Post
my book states that a martial eagle is no where near as powerful as a crowned eagle even though it is a bigger bird
To be honest I don't think there is much in it between Martial and Crowned Eagle, they both take prey of roughly the same size.

I think that both Harpy and Philippines Eagle are more powerful birds.

Latest British List: Long-tailed Skua (332)
My Blog

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 19:35   #9
rokermartin
Forum Member

Quote:

To be honest I don't think there is much in it between Martial and Crowned Eagle, they both take prey of roughly the same size.

Yes i have had some experience with these birds i knew a falconer who kept Martial and Crowned Eagle.Certainly would 'nt get on the wrong side of them very dangerous birds.I can remember watching a programme once about a pair of Crowned Eagle nesting near a village they often preyed on the local dogs and goats.

Last edited by rokermartin : Tuesday 25th March 2008 at 19:44.
Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 20:17   #10
Bubbs

Perhaps they mean of the african tribe of eagles only. I've seen and photographed Crowned and they are awesome birds.
Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 20:30   #11
rokermartin
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbs View Post
Perhaps they mean of the african tribe of eagles only. I've seen and photographed Crowned and they are awesome birds.
Love to see Crowned Eagle in the wild, one of my ambitions is to see all the big eagle species in the wild especially Steller's Sea Eagle.
Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 20:40   #12
scuba0095

what makes the Philippines Eagle so powerful? The prey they take seems to be even smaller then a crowned eagles prey, actually the golden eagle seems to take larger prey then the philippines eagle, which is why I dont understand why people think it is so powerful
Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 20:45   #13
scuba0095

the monkey eating eagle is a very large powerful & fearsome looking bird, which is why I assume so many people get the false impression that it is one of the most powerful raptors
Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 20:57   #14
rokermartin
Forum Member

Quote:
the monkey eating eagle is a very large powerful & fearsome looking bird, which is why I assume so many people get the false impression that it is one of the most powerful raptors
It is to do with their huge powerful feet and talons,which they use to kill their prey with they have a very powerful grip.More powerful than a Golden Eagle.The Monkey Eating Eagles main prey is Colugos or flying Lemurs,also take pigs and dogs near villages.

Last edited by rokermartin : Tuesday 25th March 2008 at 21:06.
Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 21:46   #15
Steve G
RAINBIRDER

In august of last year I visited a Crowned Eagle nest in Sokoke forest in Kenya (the birds had completed their breeding cycle & were not in residence!). The nest was huge & the ground littered with a macabre collection of monkey tails (Blue Monkey) & various bones including a sizeable antelope skull which was thought to be of a Common Duiker (Sylvicapra grimmia) -adults are 11-25kg! The point is an 11+ kg antelope was captured & air-lifted in. This is one powerful eagle.

Martial Eagles are primarily savanna raptors -in places like the Mara GR which is crawling with wildlife watchers there is a reasonable chance of someone witnessing the taking of 'extreme' mammal prey -such large prey is then eaten on site. The chances of a Crowned Eagle being observed taking extreme prey is remote in the least but I have little doubt they are more than capable. We watched one cross a forest track creating extreme agitation (sheer terror!) in a group of Yellow Baboons.

Close encounters with Martial Eagles are impressive but when a Crowned Eagle flies over there is a thrill of apprehension -the stirring of a deep-rooted genetic memory ........ & of course a compelling need to change one's underpants!!!

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 26th March 2008, 06:27   #16
Markus Jais

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokermartin View Post
The info is in the Raptors of the World Field guide i did'nt actually say that Crowned Eagles can can carry weights of 10-12 , 18 -20 kg, big prey items like antelopes are dismembered on the ground and piecies of them are taken away to the nest and cached in trees for later.
This is correct. Another example: Golden Eagles sometimes kill adult chamois (for example by pushing them over the ridge on a mountain slope). They can not carry the mammal away but are still able to kill it.

Markus
Old Wednesday 26th March 2008, 06:36   #17
Markus Jais

Quote:
everywhere i read on them, they always seem to mention how much more powerful the crowned eagle is then other eagles

do you all actually agree that the crowned eagle has stronger tallons then both the monkey eating and golden eagle? It is so much smaller

my book on raptors makes it seem as though crowned eagles have supernatural power

to me goldens were impressive enough for a 10 pound bird i cant imagine something being more powerful in the sky!
the Crowned Eagle has a smaller wingspan than a Golden Eagle. But it is about the same size (length). One reason for the shorter (but broader) wings is the fact that the Crowned Eagle is a forest raptor where shorter wings are better (see Northern Goshawk).

It's hard to say if the Crowned or the Golden Eagle (or Martial Eagle) is more powerful. All are strong eagles with the femals being larger and stronger.

Markus

Last edited by Markus Jais : Wednesday 26th March 2008 at 11:01.
Old Wednesday 26th March 2008, 06:46   #18
Markus Jais

An interesting article about the African Crowned Eagle can be found here:

http://peregrinefund.org/pdfs/NLAR/NL37.pdf
(page 18-19)

Markus
Old Wednesday 26th March 2008, 14:06   #19
rokermartin
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Jais View Post
This is correct. Another example: Golden Eagles sometimes kill adult chamois (for example by pushing them over the ridge on a mountain slope). They can not carry the mammal away but are still able to kill it.

Markus
Golden Eagles in Scotland have also been known to go after Red Deer and push them off a ridge.This was actually filmed on one of Bill Oddie's Nature programmes.A Golden Eagle flying at a Red Deer Stag in the highlands of Scotland.
Old Thursday 1st May 2008, 10:28   #20
eagleman

Quote:

Crowned eagles ate my fav raptor so I enter here happy to debate...
First of all martial eagle are bigger and heavier than crowned, but crowned are way more powerfull,
And harpy and filipino,,,,no way they are just bigger.
Crowned is the most rapacois and bold eagle, this species kill the largest prey among all the eagles despite it's smaller frame...
Actually people used to think that there is 3 species of eagles who currently hunt monkeys in this world. tHE CROWNED, THE HARPY AND FILIPINO EAGLE
That is tottaly wrong, acconding to new update studies only the crowned eagle is a proven monkey hunter.
Harpys diet is 70% or more, composed by sloths wich are tottaly harmless prey(there is a documented study that certifies that in Venezuelean HARPY NESTS 100%of prey bones were sloths remains.
On the other part filipino, s prey is mainly formed from a small gloding mammal named Colugo.
Both harpy and filipino occasiopnally hunt monkeys, but none of them as a rule.
Needles to say that a monkey is the most difficult and dangerous prey to be taken by any raptor species.
Old Thursday 1st May 2008, 10:30   #21
eagleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Jais View Post
the Crowned Eagle has a smaller wingspan than a Golden Eagle. But it is about the same size (length). One reason for the shorter (but broader) wings is the fact that the Crowned Eagle is a forest raptor where shorter wings are better (see Northern Goshawk).

It's hard to say if the Crowned or the Golden Eagle (or Martial Eagle) is more powerful. All are strong eagles with the femals being larger and stronger.

Markus
It's beem documented that crowned eagle's talons are WAY more stronger than both golden eagle and Martial eagle...
Old Thursday 1st May 2008, 10:32   #22
eagleman

Quote:
what makes the Philippines Eagle so powerful? The prey they take seems to be even smaller then a crowned eagles prey, actually the golden eagle seems to take larger prey then the philippines eagle, which is why I dont understand why people think it is so powerful
Fillipino is not as powerful as people think...this is a rather slender, tall eagle, equiped with longer legs , but weak talons compared with those of harpy and crowned.
Just compare the massivity of the toes and size of talons and you will have an accurate image.
Old Thursday 1st May 2008, 16:15   #23
scuba0095

Exclamation

actually the most dangerous prey of the eagle is NOT monkey it is large snakes and monitor lizards
Old Monday 5th May 2008, 06:57   #24
Blubeak_2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleman View Post
Fillipino is not as powerful as people think...this is a rather slender, tall eagle, equiped with longer legs , but weak talons compared with those of harpy and crowned.
Just compare the massivity of the toes and size of talons and you will have an accurate image.

Records shows how powerful the Philippine eagle is; by the prey items that had been documented; from a small bat to a 30 lb deer at a nest studied by Dr. Robert Kennedy; yes colugos are the prefered prey item in Mindanao maybe becoz they are easy prey, (nocturnal mammals) inactive during the day and the eagle knows where and how to get them also a nice size for a meal 1.5-2 kg but that's the eagles in Mindanao region which the colugos or flying lemurs can only be found.

Excert from the source: Threatened Birds of Asia
The structure of the eagle (its goshawk-like appearance) is an adaptation to allow high maneuverability during sudden rapid attack, but the species frequently soars and is rarely seen in flapping flight (Kennedy 1977); however, in what was then thought the first direct observation of an eagle hunting, a bird was observed (at 10h40) “in a hard-flapping flight through the canopy of trees and crashed into the TREE CROWNS and aerial epiphytic plants [during] 8 short flights... the quick twists and turns of its head and rapid flight style [indicating its] purposeful intensity” (PECP Fourth Quarter Report 1987)(this account suggests that the bird may have been attempting to flush prey by noisily “attacking” certain forest features either themselves likely to contain an
appropriate animal or, by virtue of the disturbance, so as to induce panic and movement in nearby unseen animals). Rapid pursuit is not, however, the only hunting method: Kennedy
(1981c) claimed to have discovered why the species has such long legs, and how it manages to
exploit such strictly nocturnal mammals as flying lemurs,

Studies of flying lemurs nevertheless suggest that they generally roost in the crowns of trees and are presumably caught there (N. R. Ingle in litt. 1997). Birds are reported to hunt both singly and in pairs, in the latter case apparently when targeting monkeys (Kennedy 1977).

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Wild-Anim...pine-Eagle.htm
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Wild-Anim.../f_4626883.htm

The Philippine eagles in Luzon has different diet regime like large snakes such as cobra and pythons, deer, monitor lizads, civets, large birds like hornbills, small dog and pigs and it's fave prey monkeys-there is only one monkey species in the Philippines, the Philippine long-tailed macaques and weighs 4 to 6 kg up to 9 kg for males and are one of the most challenging prey the'ye agile and elusive as compares to sloth and small monkey (especially genus-Chlorocebus) which the Harpy and the crown eagles hunt.

Source: http://birdbase.hokkaido-ies.go.jp/r...n/pithjeff.pdf
(ECOLOGY pp14-16)

By these prey items I can safely say that no one can consider the Philippine eagle as "weak talons" as you have quoted...

The African crowned eagle can take large prey but it can only lift up to its own body weight with a wingspan
of no more than 6 feet there's no way it can lift 6 - 10 kg weight of prey; Crowned eagles - Length is 80-95 cm (32-38 in), the wingspan is 1.5-2.1m (5-7 ft) and body weight is 3.2-4.1 kg (7-9.1 lbs).

Take a look at this youtube footage of a crowned eagle taking a small monkey, it can barely fly with a 1-2.5 kg of prey granting that the eagle is a male.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ENY2ujNUE

Last edited by Blubeak_2007 : Monday 5th May 2008 at 07:42.
Old Monday 5th May 2008, 08:26   #25
Blubeak_2007

Quote:

What makes the Philippine eagle so powerful? We can only gauge by the prey items that the eagles take and are available in the eco-system they live in. Philippine eagles are opportunistic hunters; they hunt a variety of animals ranging in size from a small bat to a 14 kg deer; taking what is availabe and most vulnerable.

Documented prey items: Monkeys, civets, colugos or flying lemurs, monitor lizads, deer, large snakes, large birds, small dogs and pigs.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: