• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (2 Viewers)

In case anyone is interested the collings foundationi mentioned above finally got their B17 Nine o Nine flying after two engine swaps at an airport not their home. Expensive deal.

I'm sure we have a military flight school quite lose, choppers and planes continually circuit us in various liveries.

Yesterday this plane was flying around all day,first time I've seen it, what is it?

Again, theses were taken with my pocket digi so apologies for poor images.

Attachments

• PA151639.jpg
    PA151639.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 34
  • PA151643.jpg
    PA151643.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 75
  • PA151644.jpg
    PA151644.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I think the type is still being tested, so could be new crew being trained on it, or testing out new equipment fits. Either way, it is an unusual aircraft, and a nice one to catch.

As I was birding a couple of days ago a pair of these went over me with one being directly overhead. Shenyang J-16 I think but not sure. There is a lot of traffic here, probably training and shake down flights out of the Shenyang factory. Not uncommon to have really loud sonic booms, sometimes half a dozen a day.

Attachments

• NT4A8886.jpg
    NT4A8886.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
As I was birding a couple of days ago a pair of these went over me with one being directly overhead. Shenyang J-16 I think but not sure. There is a lot of traffic here, probably training and shake down flights out of the Shenyang factory. Not uncommon to have really loud sonic booms, sometimes half a dozen a day.

I'm unsighted on Chinese terminology but if the Shenyang J-16 is Flanker based then I agree with you. To me that's an Su-27 Flanker.

John

I'm impressed by you guys taking photos of military aircraft in foreign nations. The attached photo of an aircraft passing over my patch, is as far as I would go. ;)

Attachments

• DSCN3785.jpg
    DSCN3785.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 82
Paul, your plane is registration G-BWEZ painted as "436021" (fictional markings apparently) a Piper J3C-65 Cub, built in 1946, possibly based at Archerfield, near North Berwick.

Caught this rascal "buzzing" Scilly last week

Attachments

• 51251DE7-A475-4FB4-A101-E61A3D34685B.jpeg
    51251DE7-A475-4FB4-A101-E61A3D34685B.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 28
Caught this rascal "buzzing" Scilly last week

Airbus Military A400M - looks like an RAF aircraft, can't quite read the serial but it will be ZM4--.

Buzzing Scilly is an old RAF habit, I remember two incidents particularly from the Eighties:

- one in which I was crossing the runway at the seaward end when two Hawk T1s from the Tactical Weapons Unit (final polish of combat skills before new pilots joined a front-line squadron) popped up from a sea level approach at the far end. I felt completely naked and defenceless and finally understood the application of air power.

- one in which I was nearing the same place on the coast path, and a Nimrod MR2 did a practice approach, bouncing its wheels off the few yards of tarmac runway at the seaward end (grass runway then) before powering away. That huge aircraft that close was massively impressive!

Euan's airliner appears to be a Boeing 777 of Emirates Airlines.

John

Plane watching today

Attachments

• IMG_2212.JPG
    IMG_2212.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2213.JPG
    IMG_2213.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2214.JPG
    IMG_2214.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2215.JPG
    IMG_2215.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2216.JPG
    IMG_2216.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 14
I'm going to make enquiries about attending a Russian air display, anyone got any links to such?

We have 'Navy Day' in St Petersburg every year where various warships dock in the City, very impressive if you like that kind of stuff as I do.

I did post a thread with some shots a couple of years ago and got some serious flak over it.

Last edited:
I'm going to make enquiries about attending a Russian air display, anyone got any links to such?

We have 'Navy Day' in St Petersburg every year where various warships dock in the City, very impressive if you like that kind of stuff as I do.

I did post a thread with some shots a couple of years ago and got some serious flak over it.

This is the big one in Russia I think, some of the guys on the UKAR forum have been and enjoyed it (some of them may have tips on where to stand, watch UKAR over winter and spring to see what they say):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAKS_(air_show)

Biennial on odd years, so it should run in 2019.

And I don't remember any flak, we were just worried about you in that bastion of open democracy where you live.... ;)

Cheers

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back