• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Spanish Dragons (1 Viewer)

Barred Wobbler

I saw these a fortnight ago in southwest Spain.

I'm thinking that the first is a Scarce Chaser, but I haven't a clue about the second. At first I thought it was some kind of demoiselle, but when I get a look at the body, I've changed my mind. It was almost impossible to see it against the pebbly background, even when it was in flight around our feet. It's by the River Guadiaro at San Enrique in Cadiz.

Attachments

• Dragon (6) copy.jpg
    Dragon (6) copy.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Dragon (7) copy.jpg
    Dragon (7) copy.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 81
I think the blue one is White-tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum albistylum) and the other is 100% Banded Groundling (Brachythemis leucosticta)

Andrew

Last edited:
White Tailed Skimmer would be well out range at Cadiz, so suspect its a very mature Black Tailed.
The other one is definitely Banded Groundling.

Thanks.

When I was photographing the blue one I thought at the time that it was a black-tailed skimmer, but when I checked the book, it said it should have yellow spots on the abdomen, leading me towards scarce chaser. looking more closely, I see that it doesn't have the black wing bases that a scarce chaser should have, so it looks as if my initial impression was right after all.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back