• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coastal NC, new feeder visitor (1 Viewer)

BeachNana

This bird has been visiting our feeders since New Year’s Day. It’s bright yellow with black tail, larger than a goldfinch. Need help identifying.

Attachments

• CC73252C-6C89-4C3E-B8AE-0BCDCFB965CE.jpeg
    CC73252C-6C89-4C3E-B8AE-0BCDCFB965CE.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 75E2D1AF-114F-4C06-89D2-FD6C745FAD0E.jpeg
    75E2D1AF-114F-4C06-89D2-FD6C745FAD0E.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 32
That was my thought as well, but we live in southeastern NC. Does their habitat include this area? A friend suggested perhaps a female oriole, but the black tail feathers make me think Western Tanager.

Certainly seems like a vagrant for our side of the US.

I just searched all the range maps for the Western Tanager and none of them show the east coast area.

wow and congrats, that's a good get...I've only seen Western Tanagers in the west, and I previously lived along the NC coast (Beaufort)

Definite Western Tanager there. Regular range is out west. They are vagrants and every winter there are scattered reports along the east coast. We've had one or two reported in NJ already this fall/winter.

If you can stand the hordes, you might put the word out about your Western Tanager, as there will be birders that will like to see it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back