• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What do you think of this? (1 Viewer)

AJDH

England
I took a series of shots of this shrike and would like an honest opinion on this particular picture. I took it through a mass of thorns and wondered if it was too busy or do the thorns frame the subject. Any other comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Adrian

I showed it to my biggest critic.............the wife and she was a bit non committal.

Attachments

• AJ0_8924_800w.jpg
    AJ0_8924_800w.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
hi adrian.
very good pic,you caught the shrike at just the right spot among a load of thorns
where it likes to imparl its prey to feed,is that some sort of insect i see stuck on the thorns.

hi adrian.
very good pic,you caught the shrike at just the right spot among a load of thorns
where it likes to imparl its prey to feed,is that some sort of insect i see stuck on the thorns.

Yes Ian, it's a locust, I have a better image in the gallery.

I agree that the thorns are a distraction, particularly because they cover part of the plumage. There is also a blown highlight on the bird's shoulder. Its a shame because you have such a nice sharp view of the head.

If you have enough resolution, perhaps you could crop for a head view, especially if you could recover some highlights in your RAW conversion. (you did shoot in RAW didn't you |=)| )

I think adrian that had the bthorns been restricted to bottom half of the photo you would have been ok but the thorns that go over the head are very distracting and spoil it. I do not think they add anything because they just sprawl wildly and do not give a framed kind of shape. YOur other gallery pic is far better :t:

Thanks everyone, I obviously should listen to my wife more often. Of course I won't admit that to her. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back