• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

class of sd card (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't do a search on sd card as sd is too short. How much difference does it make which class of sd card you have? I have just bought a Canon 500D and I take RAW shots.

Cheers

I have got a Sony a550 and have tried various recent 2 gig, 4 gig and 8 gig SD cards in it and there does not seem to be any difference between them performance wise.

its a read / write issue, if I recall the fastest card has a peak access speed of 20Mb/sec, these are class 10 cards, the lower ones class 2 etc have a speed of around 4Mb/sec. If you use a high rate of fps when shooting the lower class cards will slow down the overall speed as the cameras buffer will fill up quicker.
Check the right times of the 500D and try and get a card that matches if you want optimum speed, if you only shoot one or 2 frames each time you push the shutter it makes little difference except for when you dump to the pc.

its a read / write issue, if I recall the fastest card has a peak access speed of 20Mb/sec, these are class 10 cards, the lower ones class 2 etc have a speed of around 4Mb/sec. If you use a high rate of fps when shooting the lower class cards will slow down the overall speed as the cameras buffer will fill up quicker.
Check the right times of the 500D and try and get a card that matches if you want optimum speed, if you only shoot one or 2 frames each time you push the shutter it makes little difference except for when you dump to the pc.

Unfortunately the write times are not listed in the specifications. I do shoot quite large bursts at times - and I did consider other cameras due to their better buffer size - so I would like it to write as quickly as possible, to free the buffer, but if the camera's write speed is less than the maximum speed of the cheaper cards presumably it won't make any difference.

That's right, I'd guess that any modern device like your camera will write faster than 10mbps so I'd get the fastest cards possible. If your handbook doesn't state write times contact Sony

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back