• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

12x45 EII (1 Viewer)

Binastro

Dear Mr. Nikon,
Please make me a 12x45 EII.
This should be quite easy as you only have to add tubes to the existing EII body.

I don't have the older 12x40 Nikon.

If I was younger and fitter I would take selected Russian 12x45 tubes, which I have, and put them on a 8x30 EII late body.
The Russian bins were made on Zeiss machinery. Nikon had Zeiss engineers. Is it a straight swop?
Problem is Russian objectives uncoated one side.
So I'd lose 5% transmision, also maybe introduce some flare or ghosts? Colour shift doesn't bother me.
I have had two 120mm objectives coated on 4 surfaces each in U.K. in 1970s at my own risk. Worked well but airspaced.

Steiner 12x45 tubes might be narrower angle.

12x45 Conquest objectives expensive.

Might end up say 12.5x45.

No.
The field of 5 degrees is small.
Weight of 600g very good.
Might consider it.
But the ED glass in the Monarch HG 8x42 sample I tested does not seem to prevent CA.
So without testing I won't go for the Monarch 5 12x42.

Thanks, for me personally a 5° FOV at 12x is fine.

If you have opportunity to test the 12x42 please report back.
I'm hoping it could be a nice astronomy binocular - the 3.5 mm exit pupil size helps (me) to get pinpoint stars.

I've been thinking about the EII 10x35 for the same reason but that's not without its faults either and quite a bit more expensive. Also it wouldn't hurt to have 12x magnification instead of 10x.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back