• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski el 8.5x42 WB UK Pre Owned Price (1 Viewer)

Taxboy

Having more or less made up my mind to upgrade to a pair of these. I was wondering what sort of price I would be looking to pay a UK retailer for a used pair and the type of saving I could realistically make on new.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I have been studying every avenue I know over the last six weeks for the same thing so have a fair understanding of what's about at the moment. From the retailers I keep seeing a figure of between £1200 and £1500 for non-field pro models. These are always in vgc and do not exhibit the worn paint on the hinge that you see on some. Suppliers I have studied are The Birders Store, Ace Optics & In-Focus.

I have seen roughly six pairs come up on e-bay that were in mint condition, practically new and all started for £1200. Some were the Field Pro's yet none went over £1300 and had I not been suffering an illness that kept me at home I would have been on them in a flash.

I have been studying every avenue I know over the last six weeks for the same thing so have a fair understanding of what's about at the moment. From the retailers I keep seeing a figure of between £1200 and £1500 for non-field pro models. These are always in vgc and do not exhibit the worn paint on the hinge that you see on some. Suppliers I have studied are The Birders Store, Ace Optics & In-Focus.

I have seen roughly six pairs come up on e-bay that were in mint condition, practically new and all started for £1200. Some were the Field Pro's yet none went over £1300 and had I not been suffering an illness that kept me at home I would have been on them in a flash.
Thanks for that. I hadn't considered checking eBay but I see some retailers also use it. I would prefer the security of buying used from a retailer rather than deal with a private sale

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

The Birders Store are very good - I've bought from them a number of times. However, they aren't exactly convenient from Norfolk, and with second-hand it's even more of a good idea to be able to try and handle the binoculars before you buy.

I'd also add that for me, the EL 8.5x42 binoculars are the most wholly satisfactory and enjoyable binoculars I have ever owned.

Last edited:
Many thanks for that. CleySpy is a good shout. The reason for my post was to get a feel for the likely savings by buying used.

The current best price I could find online for new was £1800 from a couple of hunting / gun retailers. Price comparison of new stock is relatively straightforward but for pre owned by its nature is a bit more problematic

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

The Birders Store are very good - I've bought from them a number of times. However, they aren't exactly convenient from Norfolk, and with second-hand it's even more of a good idea to be able to try and handle the binoculars before you buy.

I'd also add that for me, the EL 8.5x42 binoculars are the most wholly satisfactory and enjoyable binoculars I have ever owned.

Whilst still searching for the 8.5's I bought a new pair of 10x32 EL Pro's from the Birders Store. I can't see how these things could be improved on if I'm honest with myself. Very good store indeed.

The current best price I could find online for new was £1800 from a couple of hunting / gun retailers.

The online retailer Uttings currently has 10% off Swarovski bins using the promotional code SWAR10, bringing the price to £1684. The optics retailer In Focus (I’ve bought from them several times and have always had excellent service) have a price match guarantee, so if you go to their store at Titchwell you should be able to get them for the same price.

Yes, I should have said ‘will’ rather than ‘should’; I also bought an 8x32EL from them last weekend and they did price match Uttings.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back