• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mud on the Inside, How to Clean (1 Viewer)

2520years

Lurking in the bushes is wrong.
I fell in a small, but very muddy, river recently. The only good news is that I was on my own with no-one to laugh hysterically at my lack of grace.

Unfortunately, my binoculars got very muddy as they were in the hand I used to stop the rest of me becoming submerged. I dried them out, but they're very foggy still. I think it must be because the lenses are grimey on the inside.

I'm thinking of soaking them in warm, soapy water. Is that a good idea, or would it ruin them? What would you do?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew.

I'm no expert on binoculars, but I would definately advise against putting them in soapy water. I think your best bet and possibly your only chance of saving them would be to put them somewhere warm in the hope that they will dry out. Unfortunately they may already be ruined.

Thanks, though they have already dried out, but I can't leave them as they are. It's worth trying something...

No, I've looked at that idea, but they're not designed to come apart once they're assembled.

Thanks anyway.

This is a last plea for help with my dirty binoculars. The lenses are dirty on the inside, I've tried soaking them in water and soapy water, but they're still no good.

It's a last plea because I'm going to have to 'bin' them if I can't clean the inside somehow.

Any last minute advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sorry Andrew, but I think they are ex-binoculars.

I suppose that if they are to be binned anyway, you have nothing to loose by re-soaking and drying them out. I wouldnt bother with soap though.

The problem is though that even if you get enough water inside to disolve the dirt, it is likely to be redeposited as it evaporates out.

This is a last plea for help with my dirty binoculars. The lenses are dirty on the inside, I've tried soaking them in water and soapy water, but they're still no good.

It's a last plea because I'm going to have to 'bin' them if I can't clean the inside somehow.

Any last minute advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Well here's a wild shot at it. I am assuming these are unsealed porro binoculars, and if they were supposed to be sealed binoculars they apparently are not anymore. What I would try is another good soaking in clean water, then after gently shaking them dry as much as possible put them in a large plastic bag (like a ziplock) seal that with duct tape to the end of a wet/dry vacuum, and turn it on creating a vacuum, until they dry. Hopefully the vacuum might quickly draw all the moisture out without leaving a film. Like I said it's a wild shot, but at this point you have nothing to lose and this attempt shouldn't cost much. The trick will be creating a good enough seal with the duct tape to actually create a bit of a vacuum. Good luck!

I can't imagine that it would be possible to clean them without opening them up. If they are Z-body type porros, you might be able to unscrew the entire objective lens cells in their tubular housing (If screwed back in the same orientation and to the same tightness, the alignment may be unaffected by this type of disassembly). This will allow access to the back sides of the objectives and to the prisms. The ocular assemblies may also be removable to allow cleaning their back sides and the other end of the prism assemblies. Make sure to mark these parts and replace everything in the original orientation.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back