• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (6 Viewers)

Beers at Tim's place after that and then out earlyish Sunday morning. Walked the Marrams towards Eccles (is that what it's called Tim?) from Sea Palling. - fast becoming a favourate spot of mine Lots of vis mig (as Connor would say:). About 7 or 8 bramblings, at least 7 tree sparrows a ring ouzel and a black redstart. Tim picked out another yellow-browed on call and we finished off the morning by relocating the red-backed shrike Tim found earlier in the week. Also 3 Little Egrets and a Grey Wagtail, which are actually quite rare for Sea Palling. After breakfast (almost at lunchtime), we went to look for the Fug duck. No sign, but Tim picked out another yellow-browed on call. From there we walked from Horsey to the Waxham pipe dump, which was totally devoid of birds, but we did get a fly by Black-throated Diver on the sea and I toyed with the idea of turning a very dark backed Lesser black-backed gull into a Baltic Gull, (which is clearly unIDable). On the way back to the car, we had nice views of a pair + juv cranes flying over, which proved to be the last good birds of the day, although we did spend time trying to find some Purple Sands which had been seen on the reefs near Eccles.

another great weekend

Ilya's covered most of the birds but on Sat at Fudger Duck also ringtail Hen Harrier, Greater Scaup and three cranes. Very pleased with the BTD - first patch bird of the year - possibly the only one I'll see this year as well.

And he forgot to mention he got whupped at pool for the second week running...:eek!:B :)

Last edited:
On bird news services today: Lesser Grey Shrike reported at Dersingham Bog in middle off walkway this morning. Hume's Warbler still Holkham Pines west off cross-track with tit flock at 4:40pm + Yellow-browed Warbler.

Cheers,

LESSER GREY SHRIKE

Only down the road for me, so zipped along to Dersingham Bog and walked all round the board walk where it was found this morning, but nothing. Another birder was walking round too and we met up and he hadn't seen it either. I said I was going to carry on to pond area. Flushed a LBJ in the pines by pond that looked potentially interesting but it disappeared! Walking back from pond towards boardwalk where a green woodpecker bounded through and then I looked up to view long tailed bird on top of a single oak tree on side of hill and there it was!!!!!! a very nice Lesser Grey Shrike 5.50pm (I called across to the man I saw earlier who then walked walked quickly towards me, he was very pleased as this was a lifer for him), a few minutes later it flitted to another tree and I watched it until 6.10pm when it flew off into woodland. Nice year tick.

Park by picnic area for Dersingham Bog, walk to cliff top area and go down steps to boardwalk - it was about half a mile from here on right hand side where I saw the shrike.

Very annoyingly though, I dropped both my lens caps in excitement and didn't realise until I got back to car. Peanut chunky kitkat reward for anyone that finds them!!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

P.S Text through to Birdline and Birdguides at 6.10 pm - I notice information is not on Birdguides and has not come through on pagers yet!

Last edited:
Well what a super bird for Dersingham Bog and well done Penny for relocating it! Shame the evenings are just too dark for me to get there after school now if I have any homework at all...

Purple Sand last night - not at Sea Palling though as reported by the pagers.

goldcrest in off this morning

redwings shooting over in the night...

Tim

Last edited:
I saw the Lesser Grey Shrike again at 8.40am, when I went back to find my lens caps (which I found!!!) along with 2 other birders (well they looked like hardcore twitchers to me!). Shortly after that some birding friends of mine + others walked very fast towards me round the corner, as they had just seen what looked like a great grey shrike coming my way! (and NO, I am not pulling your leg!!!!) The Lesser Grey Shrike that I had just been watching (eating a big bee incidentially!) flew off over the back of the hill. So there are definately two shrikes! The shrike I saw had no white above the eyestripe at all and the tail was shorter than the Great Grey and the primaries were longer. Also while we were watching the Grey Grey Shrike, someone had phoned another birder close by, to say that they had seen a shrike by the pond (much further up). Anyway, hopefully it will be refound again!

Still don't know who found it yesterday morning?

I saw the Lesser Grey Shrike again at 8.40am, when I went back to find my lens caps (which I found!!!) along with 2 other birders (well they looked like hardcore twitchers to me!).

Well done Penny..........2 lovely birds that are still on my wish list.

Congrats for finding your lens caps........i guess you will be eating the peanut chunky kitkat then|=(||=(|

Well now i have got over the dissapointment of a lovely,Near "Birdless " day in Norfolk,i am more composed,Living in the centre of England and work commitments,can't get accross to the E.coast much,but Me and "Reader" had bigged this weekend up for ages,the winds seemed right and we were set to go.
First point of call "Holme" facing out to sea ,what wind there was,was in your back,....southerlies...Doh.apart from a good movement of Thrushes we hardly saw anything of note,Fish and chips in "Wells" always nice and 20 degs too nice.
A quick look around "Warham Greens" nothing of note.by now it was getting quite late and we hadn't found a B&B yet,but still John wanted to go to "Kelling" for the Barred warbler,Red Neck phal,got fantastic scope views of Warbler munching Blackberries,also seen well was the RNP.
We Were going to try and find a B&B nr Cromer or find a pub to watch the Rugby,have a meal then head off Home.
Got home for 8.50 a chinese and the second half.

Just a few pics added

Attachments

• Barred-Warbler 1.jpg
    Barred-Warbler 1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 86
  • Barred-Warbler-2.jpg
    Barred-Warbler-2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Red-Neck-Phal.jpg
    Red-Neck-Phal.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 92
Poms are starting to move now (although some places have been having birds for ages already it seems ;)) with two seen off Eccles by my local co-observer along with good numbers of Little Gulls and three Arctics

4 Long-taileds Blakeney today is a very good record. Desparate for a Sea Palling Eccles record...

of interest four Leach's off Winterton on 10th Oct

and keep ears open for Crossbills - a few have been reported recently at coastal locations and it's a better time for Parrots than Common which are more of a summer arrival.

Last edited:
I set off late this afternoon for a walk at Dersingham Bog where I almost walked the whole length of it with only a Green Woodpecker and a Meadow Pipit for my trouble (well no trouble really as it was glorious in the sun!). On my return journey after passing the pool a Great Grey Shrike flew to the lone tree behing the board walk. After perching for a few minutes it flew over my head and flew quite a distance towards the main A149 and after perching once again disappeared behind a hill. Later it flew once again to the lone tree behind the board walk where Ashley (the warden) and I had good views of it. It is obviously very mobile. As I neared the bottom of the steps a pair of Stonechats sat on the wires.
Sue

Seems the Red Necked Phalarope at Kelling has moved on:C

Nice flock of 12+ Snow Bunts on Cley beach made up for it though, also saw 4 Whooper swans and a nice drake Pintail from the north hide.

Finished up with a fantastic display of starlings flocking over the reedbeds
from around 18.15...freezing bloomin cold though!

Matt

Attachments

• wasn't me 001 (Custom).jpg
    wasn't me 001 (Custom).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Went to Holme today - beautiful sunny, but cold day.

On sea: 8 razorbills, 3 gannets, 1 great crested grebe.

Around the reserve: 1 song thrush, 30 goldfinches. Loads of wonderful dragonflies and butterflies out in the sunshine. 3 greenfinches sitting on wires by NOA carpark.

Someone had found a Barred Warbler which we went along to see (1.45pm), brilliant views of it popping in and out of the brambles, in the bushes just the other side of the 5-bar gate, half way down the Firs Road (digiscoped some 'record' shots).

Went to Titchwell for a while, sure it has got colder as day has gone on! 3 Grey Plover, 1 Curlew Sandpiper, 1 Marsh Harrier, 10 Little Stints, 4 Little Egrets, 3 snipe flew over and 1 golden plover and a massive flock of linnets landed on the one of the islands in the sunshine and usual waders.

Met two BF members today, Steve Campsell and someone else I can't remember, sorry!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back